Autumn Seasonal Beer Imperial Pumpkin Pie Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did a 10 gal batch, roasted the pumpkin the day before the boil in big chunks in a large pan at 375 for 1 hour, then dropped to 350 for 30 minutes. I sprinkled brown sugar all over it as well. I was just trying to get some caramelization and it seemed to work well. I also added about a cup of water to the pan at the 1 hour mark, basically to just keep it from burning or drying out to a crisp.

I threw that pumpkin in a paint strainer bag in the last 20 minutes of the boil as suggested previously. I don't know how much of a difference my technique made, but I like the result. Plus, it's already very clear.

Cool thanks. I'll probably try something similar when I brew on Monday, like roast 2lbs pumpkin with the brown sugar then bag it for the last 20-30 mins of the boil.

Mine has now been in keg for a few weeks. The only changes I made were the addition of 1# of Biscuit malt, 1 Can of Pumpkin the mash and one can that was oven roasted and then added to the boil in a hop bag, and 2tsp of vanilla extract into the keg. This stuff is great, can't taste the alcohol and people love it.

Mine has now been in keg for a few weeks. The only changes I made were the addition of 1# of Biscuit malt, 1 Can of Pumpkin the mash and one can that was oven roasted and then added to the boil in a hop bag, and 2tsp of vanilla extract into the keg. This stuff is great, can't taste the alcohol and people love it.

I'm getting the same sort of feed back...little to no alcohol presence despite the addition of rum to the secondary. Its a dangerous brew that drinks like a sessional. A+ thread

I just took at gravity reading at 14 days, and it appears my apparent attenuation is 85.5% = (1.083-1.012)/(1.083-1) and it came it at 9.4%. Is that right? :drunk:

Sample tastes great! Returning it to the chamber to cold crash and keg on Sunday.

Okay so I made this beer back early October. I used maris otter and didn't make a starter. First of all make a starter... It was a lot of work for me to get this monster down to 1.024 because I noobed out. Until last night I thought this beer sucked. It was sweet and way over spiced for me. However after a few months of mellowing out it got a ton better. Enough so where I've had it with dinner the past 2 nights. Here are some pics just figured I would add my 2 cents to this thread. It has a crazy head that won't quit and very nice lace. :)
1389840259661.jpg
1389840278007.jpg
1389840302547.jpg

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Home Brew mobile app

this looks great and simple. nice. gonna have to remember to try this one. I live right down the road from Southern Tier Brewery, the home of Pumpking

Has anyone tried White Labs California Ale yeast in this recipe. Good idea/bad idea?

It would work fine, would attenuate a bit further and leave a cleaner (less malty) beer. I like English in this beer because it adds character and accentuates the malt profile.

Glad to see this thread is active once again, I suppose it's that time of the year!

I'll be brewing this beer this year for the first time at 15BBL, or I might do a smaller batch at this gravity and a larger batch at a lower gravity.

How many gallons are you peeps mashing in at and at what temp?

Same questions with the sparge as well?

I'm brewing 5 gallons.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I haven't quite yet read through every page of this thread, but I think I'm sold. I think I'll be trying this very soon. Thanks all!

So I'm calculating a 5 gal recipe by halfing the initial recipe posted. I'll use 17lb of pale malt (just planning on buying 1 sack at the LHBS) and 2lbs of crystal 20. I would like to kick it up a notch in flavor and am thinking of adding some Victory, as well. Any thoughts on whether 2 lbs of Victory would be too much, or should I limit it to only 1lb?

i modifyed the recipe a little bit mine came out to be 11.2 percent and it is bad ass will be making this again in two weeks

I brewed this on Saturday. I brew extract and added 1 can of Libby's all pumpkin that was in the oven at 350 for 60 minutes. We added the pumpkin with the first hop addition at the beginning of the boil.
It's in the ferm fridge at 68 degrees and is fermenting on schedule.
Thanks for sharing the recipe!
Our OG was 1.090, but our readings can be a bit low at the beginning due to the water added to ferm bucket to top it off to 5 gallons.

If you made a 5 gallon extract batch, I would LOVE to get your recipe. I really want to brew this but am pretty new. Only have 5 gallon pot and need to do extract. Any help would be MUCH appreciated!!

Made some minor tweeks to the recipe, but my buddy and I just finished up, each doing a 5 gallon brew of the same. 17 lb 2-row, 2lb 20L, and 1 lb of Victory.

Our mash temps differed a bit, mine being around 151, where he was at around 155. Our gravities finished a little off from each other too, with mine at 1.096, and his at 1.090. I think maybe his efficiency or grain crush is a bit less than mine.

I look forward to trying these two side by side, to see how these little differences effect the final beers.

The samples going into the fermentors tasted fantastic!

Brewing this recipe this weekend - I'll likely go for 5 gallons and add the baked pumpkin with the first hops, thanks @teachtim

Teachtim....because this is a pretty big beer, did you use a blow off tube on your primary?? I haven't done one before but perhaps this is the time to rig it up?

Yes on the blow off tube. I have a ferm fridge on a temp controller so the temp is always perfect. The fermentation was so vigorous that we could here the bubbles with the door closed. There was a good amount of funk left in the the bottom 3" of the blow off tube but that will clean right up.
We took a gravity reading tonight and it's at 1.020. Based on other posts in this thread it may be close to finished. We'll check it again on Saturday and compare. Sample tasted amazing, so much so we aren't going to add the pumpkin pie spice at kegging.

Made some minor tweeks to the recipe, but my buddy and I just finished up, each doing a 5 gallon brew of the same. 17 lb 2-row, 2lb 20L, and 1 lb of Victory.

I brewed this on Sunday. Unfortunately had horrible efficiency, coming in around 60%, with OG 1.081 in 5.5 gallons. I'm thinking it was likely due to my batch sparging.

Should still be good, but not as big as others here. Even with that, samples tasted good and should be a winner to try and get better with next time.

Either way, excited to drink this.

I never saw this addressed were all the spices ground measurements? Cloves in particular?

"At bottling - 1.25 tsp of Pumpkin Pie spice was added per 5 gallons as well as
~4 oz of real vanilla extract"

confused by this wording; i know this is a 10gal recipe...so 8oz of vanilla total? or is the 4oz for the whole 10 gal?

One more thing I'd like to get clarification on, the recipe says 75 minutes of boiling at the top, but doesn't list anything into the boil until 60 minutes. Why boil for 15 minutes with nothing added?

Boiling Time (Minutes): 75
2.00 oz Magnum [13.10%] (60 min) Hops 36.2 IBU

One more thing I'd like to get clarification on, the recipe says 75 minutes of boiling at the top, but doesn't list anything into the boil until 60 minutes. Why boil for 15 minutes with nothing added?

Most likely to get the volume down to the right spot, otherwise there would be too much wort left after only 60 mins.

I just brewed this yesterday, all my numbers were just right and it had really taken off today in my basement. And it smells awesome to boot...

Finally tapped the keg last Saturday and we are making 10 more gallons this weekend. Amazing recipe. Thanks to the OP!!!!

Longer boils give you higher gravity, the longer hops are boiled the more bitter your beer is.

Kegged our batches today and both finished at 1.018. Very surprised the yeast chewed them down so far (guessing my basement hovers around 70 degrees or so), but both mine and my buddy's beers tasted great. Mine ended up around 10.25%, where his was around 9.45%, neither tasting all that hot for being so potent. We added the pumpkin pie spice to the kegs for an extra kick of flavor, but opted not to add the vanilla infused vodka I made. We just didn't think it needed anything else.

Looking forward to this carbing up. I don't expect it to last long.

Just killed 2 hours at work reading this thread....don't tell the boss. Really hoping my temp controller shows up in the mail by Friday so I can brew this weekend. I've never made a yeast starter so I'm planning on using 2 packs of Safale S-04 for a 5 gallon batch, will that work? Also planning on using a real pumpkin so I'll bake that off Friday night. Headed to the LHBS after work. Cheers

Would it be ok to use something like Cascade instead of Sterling? I have a lot of Cascade right now, and it seems like the malts and spices determine the flavor more than the hops

Would it be ok to use something like Cascade instead of Sterling? I have a lot of Cascade right now, and it seems like the malts and spices determine the flavor more than the hops

I would just skip the late addition instead of using Cascade, that will contrast with the spices too much.

Just killed 2 hours at work reading this thread....don't tell the boss. Really hoping my temp controller shows up in the mail by Friday so I can brew this weekend. I've never made a yeast starter so I'm planning on using 2 packs of Safale S-04 for a 5 gallon batch, will that work? Also planning on using a real pumpkin so I'll bake that off Friday night. Headed to the LHBS after work. Cheers

2 packs of 04 will be fine.

It's smells so good in this house right now. Bumped my grain bill down to 12.25 lbs. don't think I could have fit all 17 pounds in my tun. Cheers

Back