2-Below clone anyone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm bringing this thread back from the grave.......Wooooooo!

Really want to brew it but was looking for y'alls thoughts and if there's any tips on this one.

I have a washed WL051 Cali Ale yeast I was looking to use. Don't know if it's the best choice or not.

Also, the New Belgium website says beer is dry hopped during fermentation. Anybody else ever do this?? And what's up with the cold conditioning bit? Necessary? No?

Thanks!

I did a 2 below clone last winter. Im not at home. But when i get
home ill look at the recipe on beer smith. I think that the california ale yeast would be a great choice of yeast. It definitely doesn't use a belgian yeast or anything like that. I know that it has liberty hops. If i would brew it again, i would change a few things. Sorry that im not more help. Ill look it up when i get home, and ill think a
bout the recipe throughout the day

That's awesome Kasey. I've pretty much convinced myself this is the next brew for me and I have 2 days to get ready for it. So if you can throw me that ur notes tonight or whenever that'll be great. I'm also wondering about hops choices. I have fuggles, saaz, and cascades on hand (along with others that may work - hallertau, amarillo, perle......etc).

So, feel free to tell me what worked for you and what else might work for this brew.

And thanks again!

My 2-Below clone from last year:

3.5 gal batch, 1.073 OG, 1.020-1.018 FG, 26 IBU, 16 SRM

5 lb two-row
2 lb crystal-40
1.5 lb toasted malt
1 lb munich
6 AAU Magnum @ 90 min
1.9 AAU Liberty dry
5.3 AAU Sterling dry
WLP051 or WLP001

60 min mash @ 154, ferment @ 70. Dry hop for 5 days as soon as fermentation settles down, and then lager at 30F for 2 weeks before bottling.

that recipe looks like mine did. i would not toast my own malt this time, i would just use biscuit malt, i know that's what new belgium uses, and i would do at least a pound in a half, if not a pound and 3\4. and i would also so at least a pound and a half of munich malt as well. i used a pound and a 1\4 and i still feel that i should have used more. hop schedule looks good too

that recipe looks like mine did. i would not toast my own malt this time, i would just use biscuit malt, i know that's what new belgium uses, and i would do at least a pound in a half, if not a pound and 3\4. and i would also so at least a pound and a half of munich malt as well. i used a pound and a 1\4 and i still feel that i should have used more. hop schedule looks good too

Ok, but is this for a 3.5 gallon batch too, or for a 5.5 gallon batch?

And I'm thinking of using galena, saaz, and cascades for mine. Is the Liberty and starling a better suited combination?

I'd bet the liberty is replaceable, but the sterling is a must. its what makes the beer taste so wintery in the first place. This year I'm trying hersbrucker and sterling becuase I have a bunch of extra.

I'm interested in brewing a 2 Below clone soon, but I do partial-mash brews. Does anyone have any advice for converting one of these AG recipes to partial-mash?

I brewed this a week ago, just waiting on fermentation :ban:

Some questions though.

I assume you rack to a secondary, dry hop and then lager @30. You don't lager while still on the yeast & dry hops, do you?

I'm not sure if my fermentation chamber can get down to 30 for 2 weeks straight without burning the compressor out (converted dorm fridge-w/ lots of insulation & fan). I'll throw it on ice too if the ferm chamber can't get there on it's own. What will I miss out on if I can't get it down to 30?

I have been looking for a clone of this for a while now.
Even though it's a 3.5 gal batch, I can up it to larger batches if need be.
On the website it didn't mention about toasting, but may be interesting in how I can tweak the recipe somehow.
Will have to try the recipe and get a 6pack to compare.

I love 2 Below! The 2009 release was awesome! I just started brewing this year, so I hadn't even thought of 2 Below yet...but I really want to brew a good winter beer soon. I was thinking of Schlafly's Winter ESB clone, but I think this is it!!

For those who brewed this, is there anything you would have changed, or would suggest? I know some were talking about the shelf life on 2 Below not being so good, did you find the same for this recipe(something tells me this recipe may not last long enough to have a "shelf-life"). Any feedback would be appreciated though.

The important things I'm assuming are the Sterling hops and the Toasted/Biscuit Malt(aren't these the same thing)?

I'd say it's all pretty important, the balance on that clone recipe from the first page is pretty much dead-on. Every time I've toyed with it just wasn't as good as the original IMO. Short shelf life means it'll still be good for like 3 months, then at some point be a bit less good.

For those having a hard time finding "toasted" malt, it's also called Victory. I brewed up the 1st batch of the season last weekend. Looking forward to getting it on tap...

I just tasted mine fully carbed for the first time and it isn't as good as last year's. I wanted it darker and a bit sweeter, so I added a little carafa and reduced the bittering hops a touch, but i still don't think it's as good as the original. It has only been in the bottle 8 days though, maybe I just need to be more patient. For what it's worth, I've brewed some sort of 2-below based beer 4 times now and this is the recipe that came out the best for me:

9.5# 2-row
2.25# crystal 40L
1.25# dark munich
.5# victory malt

.95oz Magnum 14.4% - 75 minutes

1oz Sterling
1oz Liberty - Dry hopped 4 days, fermented with wyeast scottish ale.

I love this beer too! I have no doubt that the grain bill is very similar to their fat tire grain bill with kicked up base malt, sterling, liberty hops and lagering. I have a dead on fat tire clone. The biscuity, toasty flavor could be a result of a minimal amount of chocolate or pale chocolate in the grist. Ferment cool with clean ale yeast, pacman at 60 would be perfect! I would shoot for 1.070 all malt and something like this:

13 pound two row
1 pound dark munich
1/2 pound munich
2/3 pound C20
2/3 pound C40
1/2 pound victory
3 ounces pale chocolate malt
.70 oz magnum at 60
1 oz sterling at 5
1 oz liberty at KO
Mash at 152

OG = 1.065 to 1.070
FG = 1.012 - 1.015

3 week primary ferment at 60
lager it as long as you can

Awesome! I love Fat Tire and 2 Below! Thanks for the info, sounds like the original recipe is solid. I'll go with that...and will have to try that Fat Tire clone soon as well. Thanks!

I'm a newbie home-brewer (on the 3rd batch) and would really appreciate if someone can assist in helping me convert this recipe (the one from rock hoppers brew club) to an extract recipe.

I'd really like to get this going soon in time to drink around the holidays.

Mackerman,

If I've have it calculated right and extract/steeping version would be as follows;

8.5 pounds Light DME
2.25 pounds Crystal 40L
1.25 pounds Dark Munich
.5 pounds Victory or toasted malt

1 oz Magnum (60 Min)
1 oz Sterling (Dry Hop)
1 oz Liberty ( Dry Hop)

Steep grains at 156 for 30 mins, bring to boil, and continue with hop schedule. Add DME at flameout.

Spotted 2-Below today at the local shop while snagging some groceries, and am kicking myself for forgetting about this beer. (For forgetting about brewing something nice for the holidays in general - should really have done this last month!)

Loads of info on the recipe on New Belgium's site. They list the grains as Pale, Munich, Caramel, Crystal 80L, Carapils, and Victory. Hops are Target, Sterling, and Liberty. IBUs are 32, ABV is 6.6%, with an OG of 18.3 plato. (about 1.075, which seems high, since that would have the ABV coming out around 8%) I want something that's a little more sessionable, so I'm sticking with the goal of 6.5% or so. I'm guessing at the SRM of this, but I think 15-17 seems about right.

So after messing around in Beertools, and checking some of the clone recipes mentioned in this thread, this SHOULD be pretty close. (I'm sticking with the original clone suggestion of 2oz each of Liberty and Sterling for dry hopping, but am just going to go with American Ale II, I think, with a nice big starter.) Here goes...

------------------------------------------------------

[size=+1]2-Below Clone?[/size]

Size: 11.0 gal
Efficiency: 80.0%
Attenuation: 75.0%
Calories: 203.87 kcal per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.062 (1.026 - 1.120)
Terminal Gravity: 1.015 (0.995 - 1.035)
Color: 17.18 (1.0 - 50.0)
Alcohol: 6.48% (2.5% - 14.5%)
Bitterness: 31.7 (0.0 - 100.0)

Ingredients:
17.5 lb American 2-row
4.0 lb Munich Malt
3.0 lb Caramel Malt 80L
1.5 lb Victory® Malt
1.0 lb Cara-Pils® Malt
1.0 tb 5.2 pH Stabilizer - added during mash

1.5 oz Target (10.0%) - added during boil, boiled 60.0 min
1.0 oz Sterling (7.5%) - added during boil, boiled 15.0 min
1.0 tsp Wyeast Nutrient - added during boil, boiled 10.0 min
2.0 ea Whirlfloc Tablets (Irish moss) - added during boil, boiled 10.0 min

1.0 ea WYeast 1272 American Ale II
2.0 oz Liberty (4.0%) - added dry to secondary fermenter
2.0 oz Sterling (7.5%) - added dry to secondary fermenter

(I go with 11 gallon batch sizes, to make sure I end up with 10 gallons after accounting for trub, hop absorption, angel's share, etc.)

I'm thinking I'd want a bit more body to this, so mashing high may be a good idea, 155 or so?

I honestly believe there is some honey in this beer at the finish. I would almost bet they use Tupelo honey, hence the name 2 below....

I honestly believe there is some honey in this beer at the finish. I would almost bet they use Tupelo honey, hence the name 2 below....

The name comes from the fact that it's conditioned at -2C before bottling. Nothing to do with honey, sorry.

I'm bumping this thread up as I just read that New Belgium is replacing 2˚ Below with a new Winter seasonal called Snow Day. Seeing how this is my favorite NB Seasonal, I have to brew it.

One thing that I am seeing is a 60 minute Magnum hop addition and then nothing else in the boil. Is this correct......no 15-0 minute additions?

That hop schedule seems really odd to me considering how much hop presence I remember the beer having. I would have thought there would have been a late edition for sure in addition to the dry hops.

I'm bumping this thread up as I just read that New Belgium is replacing 2˚ Below with a new Winter seasonal called Snow Day. Seeing how this is my favorite NB Seasonal, I have to brew it.

I always get excited when I start seeing all the winter seasonal brews on the shelf, and I was particularly excited to find NB "Snow Day" as 2 Below is been one of my all time favorites.

Unfortunately, I did not like the new offering better than the old 2 below. It seemed much more bitter, with more hop "punch", and did not have the great balance of subtle malty-ness and fruity-hop-goodness of 2 below. I for one hope that 2 Below is not gone and forgotten...

I am brewing this now at a friends house. We just moved it into the secondary last night. We can't quite get to -2 F but his fridge was the best we can do. Unfortunately we forgot a rubber stopper for the airlock and carboy...so we had to quickly improvise

IMG_20111106_182118.jpg

I want some 2 below this winter!

Looks like a solid recipe.

Anyone brew this and have feedback on Ubermick's recipe? How does it compare to the real thing and how does it compare with the C-40 recipe that started this thread? Does it have enough victory?

Cheers!

Spotted 2-Below today at the local shop while snagging some groceries, and am kicking myself for forgetting about this beer. (For forgetting about brewing something nice for the holidays in general - should really have done this last month!)

Loads of info on the recipe on New Belgium's site. They list the grains as Pale, Munich, Caramel, Crystal 80L, Carapils, and Victory. Hops are Target, Sterling, and Liberty. IBUs are 32, ABV is 6.6%, with an OG of 18.3 plato. (about 1.075, which seems high, since that would have the ABV coming out around 8%) I want something that's a little more sessionable, so I'm sticking with the goal of 6.5% or so. I'm guessing at the SRM of this, but I think 15-17 seems about right.

So after messing around in Beertools, and checking some of the clone recipes mentioned in this thread, this SHOULD be pretty close. (I'm sticking with the original clone suggestion of 2oz each of Liberty and Sterling for dry hopping, but am just going to go with American Ale II, I think, with a nice big starter.) Here goes...

Ingredients:
17.5 lb American 2-row
4.0 lb Munich Malt
3.0 lb Caramel Malt 80L
1.5 lb Victory® Malt
1.0 lb Cara-Pils® Malt

(I go with 11 gallon batch sizes, to make sure I end up with 10 gallons after accounting for trub, hop absorption, angel's share, etc.)

I'm thinking I'd want a bit more body to this, so mashing high may be a good idea, 155 or so?

Ingredients:
17.5 lb American 2-row
4.0 lb Munich Malt
3.0 lb Caramel Malt 80L
1.5 lb Victory® Malt
1.0 lb Cara-Pils® Malt

Update?

I brewed Ubermick's clone recipe about a month ago, and I am enjoying now as I type this message. I had to substitute all three varieties of hops due to what was available at the LHBS on brew day, and the fact that I didn't plan ahead. I don't have my notes in front of me, and don't remember my bittering and aroma hops, but remember using only one variety during the boil (Hallerteau maybe) and Saaz for dry hopping in the secondary.

In any case, the beer is good, and if I used the specified hops I'm sure it would be very close to 2 Below. Even with my poor hop substitutions the beer is tasty and I have received positive feedback from friends. If you can get your hands on the hop varieties in the recipe from the NB site, I think this clone is a winner!

Adding a little new info to this thread.

I emailed New Belgium a while back and asked about the hop schedule for 2 Below. Well I finally got an answer a couple of days ago.

Hi Tracy,
A while back you asked about the hop schedule for 2 Below.
Here is basically how it goes:

Target hops for bittering
Sterling and Liberty at the end of the boil and Sterling and Liberty for dry hopping.

Hope this helps answer your question.
Cheers,

I just kegged up my "imperialized" version of Two Below - 9% ABV. Bittered with Magnum, Liberty and Sterling for flavor and dry hopping. Tastes great. Definitely a Winter warmer!

2BELOWCLONE - American Amber Ale
================================================================================
Batch Size: 5.060 gal
Boil Size: 6.310 gal
Boil Time: 60.000 min
Efficiency: 75%
OG: 1.066
FG: 1.017
ABV: 6.5%
Bitterness: 33.6 IBUs (Tinseth)
Color: 18 SRM (Morey)

Fermentables
================================================================================
Name Type Amount Mashed Late Yield Color
Briess - 2 Row Brewers Malt Grain 12.000 lb Yes No 80% 2 L
Briess - 2 Row Carapils Malt Grain 8.000 oz No No 75% 2 L
Briess - Caramel Malt 90L Grain 2.000 lb No No 75% 90 L
Briess - Victory Malt Grain 1.000 lb No No 75% 28 L
Briess - Vienna Malt Grain 1.000 lb Yes No 78% 4 L
Total grain: 16.500 lb

Hops
Name Alpha Amount Use Time Form IBU
Willamette 5.0% 0.500 oz Boil 0.000 s Pellet 0.0
Fuggles 4.5% 0.500 oz Boil 10.000 min Pellet 2.0
Simcoe 13.0% 1.000 oz Boil 60.000 min Pellet 31.6
Willamette 5.0% 1.000 oz Dry Hop 0.000 s Pellet 0.0

Yeast
Name Type Form Amount Stage
WLP001 - California Ale Yeast Ale Liquid 2.367 tbsp Primary

Mash
Name Type Amount Temp Target Time
Infusion 5.000 gal 152.600 F 154.000 F 0.000 s
Infusion 3.000 gal 152.600 F 165.000 F 0.000 s

It looks like the original suggested recipe on the rockhopbrewersclub.com is now gone. Does anyone have a copy of that recipe, or is Ubermick's just as good/better? Also, thanks for the great update from New Belgium on their actual hop schedule.

I'd like to brew this in a couple days and am just wanting to see which recipe is preferred.

With the recipe below, how long is the mash? Everyone mentions a 60 min boil, but I need to know mash time. Need this info ASAP, I'm going to have an early morning session tomorrow. Thanks!!

Ingredients:
17.5 lb American 2-row
4.0 lb Munich Malt
3.0 lb Caramel Malt 80L
1.5 lb Victory® Malt
1.0 lb Cara-Pils® Malt

Latest posts

Back