Pumpkin ale advise

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

realtree2

Reaction score
I will be brewing a pumkpin ale in mid-august and need some input. Any suggestions on a top-notch kit? I am thinking about the switchblade jack kit from Jasper, but i would like to add an extra pound or 2 of pumpkin. I am open to scratch recipes as well.

Ill be brewing my first pumpkin as well. Using real baked pumpkin with brown sugar and maple syrup along with pumpkin spice in the batch. Fingers crossed

Ill be brewing my first pumpkin as well. Using real baked pumpkin with brown sugar and maple syrup along with pumpkin spice in the batch. Fingers crossed

Please update with progress.

From everything I've read, the addition of actual pumpkin makes it impossible to clarify..

I've been looking at trying to make something like a Weyerbacher Imperial Pumpkin (I would say Southern Tier Pumking, but I haven't had it... yet)
But I haven't been able to find an agreed upon clone of the WIPA yet..

DrNecropolis said:

From everything I've read, the addition of actual pumpkin makes it impossible to clarify..

I've been looking at trying to make something like a Weyerbacher Imperial Pumpkin (I would say Southern Tier Pumking, but I haven't had it... yet)
But I haven't been able to find an agreed upon clone of the WIPA yet..

Ill do one better. Ill videotape it and post it to my YouTube channel. Southern tier is egh ok. Have not tried weyerbacher yet although the place I go to has a couple cases. I do like the DFH punkin, I'm wondering If I should use my vanilla brown recipe as a base or stick with an amber?

Im brewing this in 2 weeks

I have heard this as well. im going to use some tabs and cold crash it for 2weeks to better my chances..but in the end I don't mind a coudy beer as long as it tastes good

I have heard this as well. im going to use some tabs and cold crash it for 2weeks to better my chances..but in the end I don't mind a coudy beer as long as it tastes good

I hear you on that. Cloudy is fine..

I wasn't a big fan fan of the DFH..

The Weyerbacher has a real thick body and just smells like heaven..

Although it does have a semi slick mouth fill, its the most full body pumpkin I have had yet..

The main reason I was wanting to get into HB'ing was a never ending supply of pumpkin ale, but after reading more and more, I see it turning into a lifelong hobby..

And thanks for posting a link when you do.. it will help a lot I'm sure..

DrNecropolis said:
I hear you on that. Cloudy is fine..

I wasn't a big fan fan of the DFH..

The Weyerbacher has a real thick body and just smells like heaven..

Although it does have a semi slick mouth fill, its the most full body pumpkin I have had yet..

The main reason I was wanting to get into HB'ing was a never ending supply of pumpkin ale, but after reading more and more, I see it turning into a lifelong hobby..

Ill pick up a 4 pack then to check it out. I do like pumpkin beers but haven't come across one that's perfect. Which is the reason for the contest I'm holding. One for my viewers and the other is personal between my friend joe and I to see who can make it better. Neither of us has made it before. Should be interesting. Home brewing is addictive and opens a world of expanding your tastes in beer. I love it..my wallet doesn't but I'm glad I got into it. Ill keep you posted when I start.

How funny.. I just got a call from my local brew store..

He called to tell me they got Southern Tier Pumking in!

Wonder if they think I'm an alcoholic?

I'm a big fan of shipyard's pumpkinhead, if you can get that try it out.

New Belgium released a pumpkin this year.. didnt grab it.. but got a few of these..

IMG_20130724_194023.jpg

Gotta say.. I prefer Weyerbacher to Pumking..

While the ST has that Graham cracker taste... the Weyerbacher has more spice and body..

So I'm brewing my pumpkin today. Decided to large cans of Libby's spread out on a baking sheet smothered with brown sugar and molasses topped with graham crackers. Baked that up. Then soaked in at 155 degree for 35 plus min. Then I steeped my grains and continued as normal. Spice mix added at flameout. Secondary will consist of vanilla bean spices and some top shelf bourbon. I really have no clue what this will come out like. I'm treating this like cooking food. Taste as I go and add when needed. Ill videotape my results on my YouTube channel.

Going to try the NB Smashing Pumpkin ale next week, and got the extra grain for the pumpkin mash. The reviews were pretty positive on it, and they had a video tutorial on how to add the pumpkin.

I will be transferring the pumpkin to secondary this fri. not sure if I will add anything until I taste it...lot of trub and a krausen that's not dropping anytime soon it seems. beer looks and smells great though

I will be transferring the pumpkin to secondary this fri. not sure if I will add anything until I taste it...lot of trub and a krausen that's not dropping anytime soon it seems. beer looks and smells great though

Woohoo!!

Excited to know how its going to turn out..

DrNecropolis said:
Woohoo!!

Excited to know how its going to turn out..

Ill post all my pics and my review video when everything is done. Subscribe if you want.

I'm doing two this year, both based off the following recipe:

OG: 1.085
FG: 1.020
IBU: 30 (Tinseth)
ABV: 8.5%
Preboil OG: 1.063
Efficiency: 85%

Grist:
11# Maris Otter
3# Weyermann Munich 1
12oz Crystal 60
5oz Roasted Barley
2.5oz Black Patent

Sugars:
1lb Dark Brown Sugar

Hops:
30 IBU of Williamette

Pumpkin:
2lbs whole roasted pumpkin (boil)
2.25lbs whole roasted pumpkin (secondary)

Spices/Flavorings:
Pumpkin Pie Spice blend (1:1:1:.75 mix of cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and allspice) Flameout 1-2tsp
1 Vodka Soaked Vanilla Bean, split and scraped (secondary)

Yeast:
Wyeast 1728 Scottish Ale

Method:
Mash at 156-158 for one hour. Full body single infusion. Mashout to 170 and hold for 10min. Collect one gallon of first runnings and boil separately with the brown sugar until the bubbles start stacking on each other. Return to main boil kettle, where you have collected enough runnings appropriate for your system and a preboil OG of 1.063-ish.

Hop addition is a single bittering at 60min.

Add boil pumpkin at 60min as well. Add a Whirlfloc tablet at 15min. Pie spice blend is at flameout. Whirlpool and chill to 58F. Oxygenate as well.

Pitch an appropriate amount of yeast - Yeast Calc says 319 billion.

Ferment cool at 60F for 6 days, then on days 7-10, raise the temp 2.5F per day to top out at 70. Finish out at 70 for four more days for a total primary time of 2 weeks.

Sanitize your secondary fermenter and add the pumpkin and vanilla vodka. Rack to the fermenter and let it all hang out for another 2-4 weeks. There will be a short burst of additional fermentation as the yeast eat any available sugars in the pumpkin.

Carbonate to 2.0-2.2 volumes and enjoy!

Additional wood-aged option: add a rum-soaked medium oak spiral after any secondary fermentation has ceased.

Cheers!

TheJasonT said:
I'm doing two this year, both based off the following recipe:

OG: 1.085
FG: 1.020
IBU: 30 (Tinseth)
ABV: 8.5%
Preboil OG: 1.063
Efficiency: 85%

Grist:
11# Maris Otter
3# Weyermann Munich 1
12oz Crystal 60
5oz Roasted Barley
2.5oz Black Patent

Sugars:
1lb Dark Brown Sugar

Hops:
30 IBU of Williamette

Pumpkin:
2lbs whole roasted pumpkin (boil)
2.25lbs whole roasted pumpkin (secondary)

Spices/Flavorings:
Pumpkin Pie Spice blend (1:1:1:.75 mix of cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and allspice) Flameout 1-2tsp
1 Vodka Soaked Vanilla Bean, split and scraped (secondary)

Yeast:
Wyeast 1728 Scottish Ale

Method:
Mash at 156-158 for one hour. Full body single infusion. Mashout to 170 and hold for 10min. Collect one gallon of first runnings and boil separately with the brown sugar until the bubbles start stacking on each other. Return to main boil kettle, where you have collected enough runnings appropriate for your system and a preboil OG of 1.063-ish.

Hop addition is a single bittering at 60min.

Add boil pumpkin at 60min as well. Add a Whirlfloc tablet at 15min. Pie spice blend is at flameout. Whirlpool and chill to 58F. Oxygenate as well.

Pitch an appropriate amount of yeast - Yeast Calc says 319 billion.

Ferment cool at 60F for 6 days, then on days 7-10, raise the temp 2.5F per day to top out at 70. Finish out at 70 for four more days for a total primary time of 2 weeks.

Sanitize your secondary fermenter and add the pumpkin and vanilla vodka. Rack to the fermenter and let it all hang out for another 2-4 weeks. There will be a short burst of additional fermentation as the yeast eat any available sugars in the pumpkin.

Carbonate to 2.0-2.2 volumes and enjoy!

Additional wood-aged option: add a rum-soaked medium oak spiral after any secondary fermentation has ceased.

Cheers!

That looks great keep us updated.

Just transferred to secondary. Nice orange color the smell was that of pumpkin pie. Taste was great reminds me of DFH but less flavor. Adding another round of spices and secret stuff. Not too long now till bottling time :)

Awesome.

I am bottling mine next week. Transferring to secondary this evening. Smells good, though, out of the airlock. May add just a tad bit more pumpkin pie spice to it (I added 1/8th tsp. to the pumpkin while it roasted in the oven, pre-boil of course).

You think added lactose would make it taste like whip cream finish in the beer?

I like Pumpking the best of all. I tried to make a pumpkin ale like it. I started with Midwest's Pumpkin Ale kit. I bakesn2 cans of pumpkin sprinkled with pumpkin pie spice and added it with 10 mins left. Primary for 10 days, added a tea of 1 cup water, 2t of pumpkin pie space, and 1T of pure vanilla to secondary for 5 days. Bottled it last weekend and won't touch it for 2 months. Hoping it comes out ok.

I like Pumpking the best of all. I tried to make a pumpkin ale like it. I started with Midwest's Pumpkin Ale kit. I bakesn2 cans of pumpkin sprinkled with pumpkin pie spice and added it with 10 mins left. Primary for 10 days, added a tea of 1 cup water, 2t of pumpkin pie space, and 1T of pure vanilla to secondary for 5 days. Bottled it last weekend and won't touch it for 2 months. Hoping it comes out ok.

That sounds delicious. Definitely let us know how it comes out

Secondaried mine this evening. Smells and tastes ridiculously awesome. EXACTLY how I wanted it to smell and taste.

image-1652979455.jpg

image-3307837055.jpg

Remmy said:
Secondaried mine this evening. Smells and tastes ridiculously awesome. EXACTLY how I wanted it to smell and taste.

She looks good. Mine will be in bottle for a week now. Very tempted to try one but...must resist...the urge...

Remmy said:

That color is fantastic. Looks delicious!

jonnyp1980 said:
She looks good. Mine will be in bottle for a week now. Very tempted to try one but...must resist...the urge...

Really curious to hear your opinion on how the graham crackers contributed to your beer...

jonnyp1980 said:
So I'm brewing my pumpkin today. Decided to large cans of Libby's spread out on a baking sheet smothered with brown sugar and molasses topped with graham crackers. Baked that up. Then soaked in at 155 degree for 35 plus min. Then I steeped my grains and continued as normal. Spice mix added at flameout. Secondary will consist of vanilla bean spices and some top shelf bourbon. I really have no clue what this will come out like. I'm treating this like cooking food. Taste as I go and add when needed. Ill videotape my results on my YouTube channel.

I am also curious, but mostly because of the bourbon. That sounds heavenly.

BRENTMAN said:
Really curious to hear your opinion on how the graham crackers contributed to your beer...

I am to lol. It was about two packages. In another week or so I'll crack one open.

skipfab74 said:
I am also curious, but mostly because of the bourbon. That sounds heavenly.

I added one ounce of liquor. I would have added more but I was scared it would take over the pumpkin pie taste.

Brewing my pumpkin ale as we speak, used 3 cans (90oz) Libby's Pumpkin Pie Filling, and 2 bags crushed up graham crackers, mixed them in, baked at 350 for 30 min, stirred, baked another 20. Looking and smelling amazing. About to add them with the LME once the initial boil starts...

Back