BIAB 2.5 Gallon - Yeast Starter..important? (or not)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bfriend54

Reaction score
How important is it (or not) to use a yeast starter when brewing a BIAB 2.5 Gallon batch of IPA? I'm using a 3 gallon glass carboy, and just directly dumped an entire vial of White Labs WLP001 in it on my last batch. It seemed to have a pretty vigorous primary fermentation after about 12 hours for about 24 hours...

The beer resulted in fairly low alcohol content, and I have been focusing my attention on a high temp mash mistake I made. Mashed at about 156-158...

I will correct that in the next batch, but is a yeast starter really needed for a 2.5 Gallon batch?? Thx

I biab and never use a starter even when doing six gallons. I've used white labs on my setup too and been fine. It's probably something else IMO.

Depending on OG age of yeast phase of the moon( not really this one) yes a starter is a good idea. Any OG over 1.050 I think of a starter and any yeast older then say 2 months I think starter for no other reason then to make sure I have plenty of happy healthy yeasty friends. For starter size I consult Beersmiths calculations along with Mrmalty.com

There was one other factor which may or may not be important. I had the vial in a refrigerator and only let it warm up about 45 minutes before pitching it into the carboy. Probably should have given it more time to get to room temp..

Here's a calculator for you.

Just plug in your known values and it will tell you if you need more than one vial/pack.

I do 3 gallon batches and I never use a starter. I collect slurry and pitch half of it into my next batch. The first batch I just pitch the tube or smack pack.

I brew 2.5 biab when brewing inside and I never use a starter and I use only dry yeast. I've pitched up to a 1.080 american red with no issues doing this. I pretty much only use sa05 or sa04 since I'm usually brewing an american ale of some sort. I usually only use about half of the 11 gram yeast packet and the beer turns out well. I used to use the entire packet but I figured I could get 2 batches out of 1 yeast packet so I started just using half. I'm about to get myself on a brewing schedule so I can wash and reuse the yeast at least once.

Regardless of dry or liquid yeast, you want to use enough yeast for the OG of your batch. At least use the calculator from Mrmalty, and if you happen to have more yeast than the calculator calls for, then that's okay. It's harder to over pitch than under pitch.

I also brew 2.5 gal brews and just use a single vial of White labs yeast or pack of dry yeast and have had no issues but for bigger beers I like to use a 1/2-1 pint slurry from previous batches.

There was one other factor which may or may not be important. I had the vial in a refrigerator and only let it warm up about 45 minutes before pitching it into the carboy. Probably should have given it more time to get to room temp..

When I forget to take the vial out of the fridge early, I stick it in my pocket to let my body heat warm it.

Back