My Sight Gauge Prototype

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

insanim8er

Reaction score
I've been a huge fan of this sight for a while, but I've only recently started to post. I am working on a HERMS unit, and this is the sight gauge I am building for my Boil kettle and HLT.

photo8_zps5cce7b6a.jpg

photo9_zps8ffac9d4.jpg

It's really difficult to get a good photo of this with my Iphone camera, but it looks amazing in person.

This is just a prototype... I'll be making 2 more for my kegs that will have 4 rods instead of 3 and a few other tweaks.

It's made with thick high temp/pressure 1/2" Glass tube... everything is stainless steel except for the post, those are brass. But the final one will have 4 stainless steel 1/4" rods (I believe)

Anyway, give me your thoughts on this sight gauge... If people are interested in having one made, I will post the final design and maybe a video.

ya you're right it is very steam punk... We just finished up a second prototype that has 4 stainless steel rods vs the 3 brass. They're 1/4" too, so this second one looks way better. It looks like it came right off an old steam engine.

And to answer your question, yes it's very heavy duty and sturdy.

I will post some photos of the new one once I get them.

the top has a hole. We thought about making it sealed on the top, but have small vents on the side, so it's cleaner looking.

My only thought was the hole is nice for easy cleaning. However, the top can be removed pretty easy for cleaning too...

What are your thoughts?

Is the top opened up or completely closed off?

Very cool looking. Doesn't look like it'd survive my sessions and cleaning regimen, but maybe.

You definitely score top marks for cool factor. Nice work.

Thanks, you would be surprised. The new style one with 4 posts is really heavy duty. Plus the thing comes fully apart in order to clean every aspect of it. It's very simple to remove too.

I'll take some videos of the new one once I have the chance.

Back