Buffalo Wild Wings commercial

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chalmer9

Reaction score
Hey I saw a commercial yesterday during the football game. It was making fun of homebrewers! Pretty lame if you ask me. I don't think I'll be going back there.

Hey I saw a commercial yesterday during the football game. It was making fun of homebrewers! Pretty lame if you ask me. I don't think I'll be going back there.

Interesting... I don't think it's ever a good idea to try and capture market share by demeaning something else, gives people a REASON not to patronize you.

Haven't seen the commercial, probably because I watch SO little TV. Never been to Buffalo Wild Wings anyway.....just doesn't look like someplace I would want to eat. Chains like that are really only a notch or so above fast food IMHO. But to each his own.

RDWHAHB!

It was definitely tongue in cheek. People are way to easily offended these days.

Plus that commercial has been around for a couple of months already.

kh54s10 said:
RDWHAHB!

It was definitely tongue in cheek. People are way to easily offended these days.

Plus that commercial has been around for a couple of months already.

Been on the forum for a few weeks now and I'm racking my brains at what RDWHAHB means??
I've seen if splashed around a few times..

Actually I thought it was kinda funny. I'm not worried about it at all. I'm very happy drinking my homebrew, which is way better than what I am going to get there, without paying $6 a pint. None of my friends have said anything because they know that my brew is damn good :D

Some people are very defensive about their Ugly Baby Syndome Beer. I think instead of the bratworst beer in that commercial the homebrewer should have handed them "dark" beers. Because anything darker than the color of yellow beers is bad to them or most people anyway. By the way that guy must have used a little too much starsan! ha.
Seems that is outdated knowledge or a sterotype of homebrewers in the past,yes in the past all Ive ever heard from people is how bad homebrew was then, that and they probably didnt know what they were doing to begin with not to mention the lack of what we have currently. But also there are noobs that tend to go overthetop too soon-which is what makes the commercial kind of funny. Also a noobs first few beers dont turn out quite what they were expecting,in generall often but not always. I guess Im kinda picking apart the joke but that is my interpretation-and I think its still funny.

That said Im still going to try this place out which Ive never tried, and by the way what number BWW thread is this about? like # 495?

And also, if all they have is crappy beer there and crappy food, they wont get my dollar again. I hated last goin to Ruby Tuesdays where the menu states they have DFH 60 min IPA,well guess who doesnt really have that? But still its on the menu,that and the other few good beers that were on the menu ,yep didnt have those either. I was stuck with drinking a skunky bottle of Stella,which I didnt finish and left irritated with an altogether bad experience from that place anyway.

I had to look up this ad after seeing the threads. I had a bit of a laugh. I don't think we have BWW up in Canada. Homebrewing must be huge in the states for them to even think of an ad like this. I bet less than 1% of British Columbians have had a friends homebrew.

I was little surprised to see a homebrewing ad too. I used to think I was the only one that home brews but I find more and more people every day. Just look how many members are on this forum. Its too bad you dont have a BWW...it is really good

I bet less than 1% of British Columbians have had a friends homebrew.
Really? You have homebrew supplies available at Save-On-Foods in B.C.. And, the Coopers kits are one of the few things in the grocery store that are cheaper on your side of the border.

Some people are very defensive about their Ugly Baby Syndome Beer. I think instead of the bratworst beer in that commercial the homebrewer should have handed them "dark" beers. Because anything darker than the color of yellow beers is bad to them or most people anyway. By the way that guy must have used a little too much starsan! ha.
Seems that is outdated knowledge or a sterotype of homebrewers in the past,yes in the past all Ive ever heard from people is how bad homebrew was,that and they probably didnt know what they were doing to begin with. But also there are noobs that tend to go overthetop too soon-which is what makes the commercial kind of funny. Also a noobs first few beers dont turn out quite what they were expecting,in generall often but not always. I guess Im kinda picking apart the joke but that is my interpretation-and I think its still funny.

That said Im still going to try this place out which Ive never tried, and by the way what number BWW thread is this about? like # 495?

And also, if all they have is crappy beer there and crappy food, they wont get my dollar again. I hated last goin to Ruby Tuesdays where the menu states they have DFH 60 min IPA,well guess who doesnt really have that? But still its on the menu,that and the other few good beers that were on the menu ,yep didnt have those either. I was stuck with drinking a skunky bottle of Stella,which I didnt finish and left irritated with an altogether bad experience from that place anyway.

I don't ever order beer at places like that. they never have anything worth a sh*t. iced tea for me.

Honestly I thought the commercial was funny as hell. U shouldn't be offended by a company making fun of your hobby. Life is too short to sweat that stuff. I took it with stride and KCCO! Honestly though, brat beer? This commercial had to have been made by a home brewer or a friend of one.

I saw the commercial during the tOUS and Michigan State game. I was a bit irritated at first but then I thought about what BW3's might be if it were a beer. That put things in perspective.

When I first went to BW3's I was in college and it was 1993/4. Back then they were probably a Sam Adam's. Smaller but gaining quickly into a broader national recognized brand. Now they are probably a Killian's Red. When I was a sophomore in college I thought Killian's was good. I have no idea what one tastes like anymore and I am not even sure if they are still around but from memory they were part of a larger conglomerate that posed as being a smaller brewery. Or something like that.

I also don't remember what BW's food tasted like as I always hung out in the bar area and played trivia. This was mainly because I had a friend who was a bartender there and he would hook me up with some mad deals.

Is that Galifianakis? This commercial is funny as ****.

Just researched it a bit... it's not him, but still funny.

We've got a BWW here. Most people say the wings are s*** but I can't tell a difference and yeah, their first 8 taps are BMC but after that they have some good local brews mixed in with some quality crafts like Black Butte Porter and ***** Creek. Plus on the first Tuesday of the month they tap a new brew and just give the first keg away. That's pretty cool.

It's funny BBW puts an ad up like that. I jut won a homebrew competition. My beer is going to be brewed up in a real brewery and serve at.....guess where?.......yes......Buffalo Wild Wings

CrazyHomelessGuy said:
Now they are probably a Killian's Red. When I was a sophomore in college I thought Killian's was good. I have no idea what one tastes like anymore and I am not even sure if they are still around but from memory they were part of a larger conglomerate that posed as being a smaller brewery. Or something like that.

I believe they are owned by Coors. Not sure. Also "posed" is kind of a strong word. They don't celebrate the fact that they are owned by a large company, but I don't think they try too hard to hide the fact either. Leinenkugel's is owned by Miller and the same goes for them. Much more varied, interesting beers than those badged as miller.

Also not much different than GM owning Cadillac and Saturn (not anymore, though). It doesn't make Cadillac bad, just makes it easier to market to a broader range of customers.

That being said, I agree that I used to think killians was better than it is, I agree that they are owned by a larger company, I got a kick out of the commercial, and I am ALMOST completely not offended when people make fun of me based on the commercial.

I think the commercial is funny. If a national chain is making commercials taking potshots at homebrewers it means the hobby is more than just a fringe activity. That combined with the White House staff homebrewing (any comments about that take it to the discussion in recipes, keep it out of here) shows that we're getting some recognition in the mainstream. It all raises public awareness of the hobby and hopefully the last two backward states will finally at some point make it legal again.

"This one's done in *sniff* two minutes."

It's a war on homebrewers, quick break out the picket signs, call CNN, let Roseann Barr make a rude off the wall statement.

It is just another chain restaurant who knows slightly more about beer than home brewing. Who cares? They serve packaged food and for the most part crap beer. It is like the cook at McDonald's telling Gordon Ramsay how to cook.

I've been speaking with the sales manager of BWW and they said they will be moving to a good craft beer selection in January of 2013.

I've been speaking with the sales manager of BWW and they said they will be moving to a good craft beer selection in January of 2013.

Mabye,you talking nationally?Or just your area? If thats the way they will be here,Ill be more likely to go.Its nice to get beers on tap like arrogant bastard or SN Pale ale even, in random places,Ive never had on tap before.And yeah,the tap experience does seem different per beer,it seems to me-sometimes not always better though.

There are a high percentage of home brewers that are beer snobs. Just like any other things that have snobs, they have no sense of humor. I found it hilarious and enjoyed it. I also have enjoyed EVERY BWW's beer selection that I have been to and have a huge micro selection. Their wings give me serious rectal burnage, but I still enjoy the food, beer, and atmosphere.

Get out of your bubble and smile :):):) and try to enjoy life and alternate views and opinions(its called marketing).

Back