Weissbier Paulaner-style Hefe Weizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
7lbs german wheat malt, 2.75lb german pilsner malt, 1lb rice or oat hulls, mash 150f for 90 min
1 oz 2.4hub hallertau for 60 min
( some of my own i added 4oz belgian aromatic malt an 2oz of acid malt i mashed it in with the other grain)
mash with 2 gallons sparg with one gallon

Thanks for the recipe! What do the rice or oat hulls do?

Just wondering. What is the advantage of adding the Wheat DME 1 lb. at a time for the last 15 minutes of the boil. Wouldn't you get better extraction from adding all of the DME for the entirety of the 60 minute boil? Also, with a 4 gallon brewpot, am I going to have severe boil-over issues with this brew? Thanks!

foxyaardvark said:
Just wondering. What is the advantage of adding the Wheat DME 1 lb. at a time for the last 15 minutes of the boil. Wouldn't you get better extraction from adding all of the DME for the entirety of the 60 minute boil? Also, with a 4 gallon brewpot, am I going to have severe boil-over issues with this brew? Thanks!

Ive always heard that a late addition of extract will keep the color lighter, avoiding carmelization. This is a very light beer, or at least it should be. 60 min boil of all the extract at once can lead to darker colored beer. There may be other reasons that I am unaware of.

+1 on the violent fermentation... Coming out of the 7.9 gallon brew bucket about 12 hours after pitching. I used a smack pack but no starter. I did think to put the bucket in a bigger container so cleanup won't be so bad.

I am really, REALLY wanting to do this recipe, but can anyone explain their steeping, sparging, and topping off processes they do with this recipe in a little more detail? Those seem to be the only parts of the original instructions that are a bit confusing to me. I known what these processes are, but am a bit befuddled... :D

If you have a small mesh grain bag or cheesecloth, put the grains in there and steep (like you are making tea) at 150*F. Just let it sit for the time indicated. If you don't have a bag, just put the grains straight into the pot and strain it out later. If you have a bag, pull it out and sparge (rinse) the grains with the sparge water. If no bag, run water through the strained grains. Really, for no more grain than is there, it won't be a big deal either way, as the bulk of the fermentables are in the DME.

Topping off is just adding cold water to reach whatever volume you need in the fermenter, in this case 5.25 gallons.

I made this recipe recently and bottled on July 4th, so I'm patiently waiting for it to carbonate and be ready to drink! Good luck.

I brewed up a batch of this last Thursday, so as of today it has been 6 days. :rockin: The airlock now bubbles maybe once every ten seconds or more, so as per instructions in post #01 it should be done; however, herein lies the problem - my only keg's still holding about a 1.5 gallons of Brandon-O's Graf and I've got no more space for bottles. Thus, I am wondering how long I can leave this in the primary. Throughout the thread others have said they left it for a month in the primary. Isn't that a bit much for this recipe? I'll get around to drinking the rest of the Graf this weekend, but I worry because it's been hot here - above the 80s everyday and the therm sticker has read a steady 70 for the entire 6 days the hef has been in the closet. If I leave it longer then the 6 days will it be ok with this temp? Will it develop extreme banana flavor? Any thoughts?

Thank you. :mug:

i'm considering brewing this next...is there a partial mash/mini-mash version of the recipe?

edit:
nevermind...i just read through the thread more carefully and noticed this isn't an all grain recipe

This beer sure did come out A-Mazing. It's a very simple and quick recipe too. I drained the whole 5 gallon keg in two weeks almost all by myself :drunk:

Anyway, I have been thinking a lot about adding a slight hint of rasberry to this recipe and am curious if anyone out there has tried it. I've read quite a few of the other rasberry wheat recipes, but I don't have an available secondary (... and money's spent on kegging system for now) and I am wondering if I could just add a small amout of rasberry puree to the primary after its reached FG and just let it sit a few more days on the yeasties - then rack it and keg it. Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions on how this would work or turn out?

Thanks! Check out the pic!

downsized_0803021901.jpg

I bottled this about a week ago, but couldn't wait. Cracked open a bottle last night. I have to say, even with it being only lightly carbed, this is a very good brew. I brewed it with LME, so it was a little darker than expected. The clove is very prominent in the aroma and the taste is spot on. Easy to drink. Thanks for the simple recipe.

alchemedes said:
This beer sure did come out A-Mazing. It's a very simple and quick recipe too. I drained the whole 5 gallon keg in two weeks almost all by myself :drunk:

Anyway, I have been thinking a lot about adding a slight hint of rasberry to this recipe and am curious if anyone out there has tried it. I've read quite a few of the other rasberry wheat recipes, but I don't have an available secondary (... and money's spent on kegging system for now) and I am wondering if I could just add a small amout of rasberry puree to the primary after its reached FG and just let it sit a few more days on the yeasties - then rack it and keg it. Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions on how this would work or turn out?

Thanks! Check out the pic!

Most say to add the fruit to secondary only. I've thrown some raspberry extract into another brew but never purée. I say go for it and see what happens.

Need some help boys (and gals). Brewed this up again this past Saturday. I did not get a good seal on my blow off valve (wrong size hose) but the hefe fermented furiously for the first 18 hours or so. After that, nothing. I KNOW air got in since the seal was bad. I now fixed that issue and there is no airlock activity. Nothing at all. Am I toast? Re-pitch some yeast or hang out and wait? Thanks in advance.

Need some help boys (and gals). Brewed this up again this past Saturday. I did not get a good seal on my blow off valve (wrong size hose) but the hefe fermented furiously for the first 18 hours or so. After that, nothing. I KNOW air got in since the seal was bad. I now fixed that issue and there is no airlock activity. Nothing at all. Am I toast? Re-pitch some yeast or hang out and wait? Thanks in advance.

You are perfectly fine :D

give it a week and take a gravity reading; I bet you'll be happy with what it says.

Used this for my fourth batch. Followed the recipe except I used Wyeast 3068 instead of the combined yeast the OP used.

Got a OG of 1.057; wondering how much of an issue that will be compared to the recipe's 1.049. I wonder if I boiled too hot/long.. Otherwise I had no real issues! Not terribly hard to make this one, mechanically speaking.

In general how long did you fellas wait until you started taking readings? I know in general you wait until there's no airlock activity and maybe the krausen has dropped. But roughly how long has it taken for those of you who have bottled this recipe?

I ask partly because by the time I head to my parents' for the holidays, it'll have been a 2 week primary. I don't mind leaving it in the primary for an additional 2 weeks (when I get back) for a total of 4 weeks though.

I apologize for not beig around the forum for a while, but life has been getting in the way of spending time here...and I'm retired.

WOW! Thanks for all the comments. I appreciate them. I'm glad you guys are enjoying the recipe and assisting in answering technique questions too.

While the Paulaner recipe produces a good brew I changed over to a Pinkus Hefe Weizen recipe last year that is even better...REALLY! ;)

It is from "Brewing Classic European Beers At Home" by Graham Wheeler and Roger Protz, on page 164 if you have the book.

It is an All Grain recipe. For those who do not have it:

3#, 13 oz Pale
5#, 12 oz Wheat
4 oz Rice Hulls
.8 oz Hallertau Hops (I use pellets)
1 liter yeast starter: WLP300 Hefe Weizen

My variations:

1) I placed .2 oz of the hops into the brew pot during sparge. This is called First Wort Hopping. It makes the bitterness of the bittering hops really smooth.

2) I used a Single Infusion Mash at 151F for 60 mins, Fly Sparged with 4 gals. at 170. Collect 7 gals. or until gravity drops to 1.010 (adjusted for temperature).

Boil time: 90 mins.

Ferment Temp: 69F
OG: 1.052
FG: 1.010
ABW: 4.410%
ABV: 5.513%
Primary: Plastic: 20 days
Secondary: None. Straight to bottling bucket sucking up very little yeast to bottle condition.
Prime: use 1 oz of Corn Sugar more than the number of gallons in the bottling bucket; i.e., 5 gals bottled = 6 oz CS, 6 gals bottled = 7 oz CS.
Bottle condition at least 1 week at room temp (70 preferred) and refidgerate for AT LEAST 1 day if you are over anxious (3 days/nights is much better).

This has a very good banana flavor that is excellent and light on the palate.

I have made this a number of times and it has been excellent.

The last time I brewed this I made 2 batches on consecutive days. Each starter was made with a 1/2 of a baby food jar of 3rd generation WLP300 making a 1 liter starter.

I bottled 70 - 0,5 liter bottles about 13 days ago. At least 10 of them have been shared and sampled so far.

I just made the original extract version yesterday and was at first amazed by how crazy my airlock has been. Now almost exactly 24 hours since pitching the yeast I had to install my first blow off tube and see the lid on the plastic bucket bow outwards as the pressure increases. The thing is fermenting so violently that its also blowing bubbles in my container the blow off tubing is going into. Definitely interested to see how this one will turn out in couple weeks.

I just made the original extract version yesterday and was at first amazed by how crazy my airlock has been. Now almost exactly 24 hours since pitching the yeast I had to install my first blow off tube and see the lid on the plastic bucket bow outwards as the pressure increases. The thing is fermenting so violently that its also blowing bubbles in my container the blow off tubing is going into. Definitely interested to see how this one will turn out in couple weeks.

That is always the case. The co2 leaves the fermenter through the tube and into the container of liquid. The co2 has to escape somewhere and that is why you are seeing bubbles. Perfectly normal.

Anyone try brewing this with peach? Looking to make a extract peach hefe and this one seems to be the most popular extract hefe recipe on the site so I'm wondering if just adding some peaches to a secondary would work out with this recipe. :)

I helped a coworker brew up this beer. His first one! Instead of using 1/2 oz of the hersbrucker I planned on using the full ounce. Not like it'd totally ruin it or anything and why waste hops? Well 20 minutes into the boil I happen to look at the package and it was actually 2 ounces!

My LHBS sells hops in 1 oz packages. He went to a local beer store that just started selling homebrew supplies. I think they are using 2 oz bags to move more product but that's neither here nor there. My question is...what will 2 ounces of hops do to the taste of the beer?

Make it hoppier:confused:
Instead of a hefe you made a Wheat Pale Ale, nothing wrong with that (see Gumballhead)

I just want to say "Thank You!" to homebrewer_99 for posting this recipe. I followed this recipe to a "tee", with the exception of using fresh Wyeast 3068. It might be the best-tasting Hefeweizen that's gone down my gullet. And it was carbed up after only 6 days of bottle conditioning with a very healthy head. Lovely balance of clove/bubblegum/banana notes when fermented at a steady 72 deg F. The only problem with this recipe is that it's TOO DRINKABLE.

Just tucked my first batch of this recipe safe and snug in my ferm chamber! Gonna keep it 68 until time to crash cool and keg. Brewing this recipe was a breeze! The LHBS didn't carry the wyeast so I went with WLP 380 Bavarian Hefeweizen VI. My pack of Hallertau was rated 4.6% AA so I used .75 oz for the 60 mins to compensate for my IBU and decided to toss the last .25 oz in with the rest of the malt at 15 mins left just for kicks. Really excited to see how this turns out!

Hey OP!

I hope I can reach you here even though the thread is a bit old. I am interested in why you pulled the 5 cups of wort out only to put back during fermentation? Was it to spur more active fermentation by adding more sugars?

Sorry if my spelling is terrible. The unfermented wort is added to keg or bottling bucket to carbonate. if you dig around on this site or posts from beersmith you should be able to find the equations to use the technique

My 2nd attempt of this style after so many years of brewing, 1st time on this recipe. Seems like I don't really dig the banana taste although the refreshness is growing on me. Maybe same grain with "cleaner" ale yeast, but then it wouldn't be a hefeweizen isn't it!

Thanks @homebrewer_99 for sharing this wonderful recipe!

All grain adaptation:
  • 22l fermentor volume. 20L in Keg.
  • Weyermann Pilsner 0.7kg
  • Weyermann Pale Wheat 3.7kg
  • Weyermann Munich 1 0.2kg
  • Hallertau 5.6A 16g @ 45 min
  • Munich Classic yeast 2nd gen harvested

BIAB
  • mash @ 68C for 60 min.
  • pre boil hop while I am squeezing the bag, flame is max at the same time.
  • Boil for 45 min.
  • No chill, load in cube, cool over night.
  • Primary 10 days @ 17C, cold crashed 24h.
  • Kegged on 11 days.
  • 2nd Pour on 13th day:
  • Did not check gravity, but my tougue feels 5% abv and above.
  • I blame the pale wheat for being too pale for missing that golden hue

hefe.jpg

Back