Vodka in airlock?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tielson's

Reaction score
has anyone else heard of this, or does anyone do this method?
in case of suckback bacteria will die.

I use cheap vodka.

If you do get suckback, you'll get alcohol in your beer.

Better that than Iodophor.

I can get a fifth for under $ 5.00 including tax. Don't drink it though, I'm sure it's nasty.

Another trick, if you're using a freezer or frig to keep ferm temps down, if your wort and/or headspace is warmer than your frig, you WILL get suckback.

I take a paper towell folded twice and wet it with vodka. Put over top of carboy or hole in bucket top for 1 day. Then replace with airlock.

I use whiskey - cheap stuff of course -

It started when we were brewing for a friend's party, and using his favorite whiskey to fill the airlock. We've downgraded to the cheap stuff now -

The advantage in my mind is that it's easier to see at a distance.

kvh

i fill mine with star-san solution left over from sanitizing the fermentor.

star san won't cause off flavors due to 'suck back' either.

I use star san solution too. It makes some bubbles and sometimes it makes a whistling noise.

I use vodka, as well. The real cheap bottom shelf college dorm stuff.

But first I swirl the airlock with some vermouth. :D

I use vodka left over from my wedding, we've got a ton left. It's not the horrible stuff either which many would feel is a waste, but we don't drink it.

jpsloan said:
I use vodka, as well. The real cheap bottom shelf college dorm stuff.

But first I swirl the airlock with some vermouth. :D

I do this as well, but with a little olive juice, cause SWMBO likes it dirty....

landhoney said:
I use vodka left over from my wedding, we've got a ton left. It's not the horrible stuff either which many would feel is a waste, but we don't drink it.

I will be willing to help you out with getting rid of some of that if you need more room for brewing.:D

g_rath said:
I will be willing to help you out with getting rid of some of that if you need more room for brewing.:D
Haha! Ditto that!

I also use vodka in the airlock because ....well... it was a good idea the first time i heard it, and it's a good idea now.

kvh said:
I use whiskey - cheap stuff of course -

It started when we were brewing for a friend's party, and using his favorite whiskey to fill the airlock. We've downgraded to the cheap stuff now -

The advantage in my mind is that it's easier to see at a distance.

kvh

That's also a good idea! Sometimes i have to really look to see where the fluid line is.

using some old everclear thats been lying around....evaporates fast tho...gotta top it up once every couple of days..

Haha, bird. Let me make sure I get this right- in case of some spilling in the wort out of the airlock (is this suckback?), vodka won't disturb the fermentation much, but iodophor solution will? Star san is safe too?

Don't know about Idophor. Vodka works great, so does star san, even boiled and cooled water/distilled water will work.

the_bird said:
Here's the REAL question, though....

Who does a shot of the airlock vodka post-fermenation?

i do but only after secondary:mug:

made a mistake once when i was using vodka or starsan as the mood hit and forgot which carboy had the vodka:eek:

I've just use tap water so far, and wash them... One I left on for 4 months stated to get mold growing in it, but it didn't hurt the batch.

Maybe I should start using napoleon cognac. :)

I'm sure gin would work fine. Personally, though, I can't stand the stuff. Its like drinking pine trees.

Steiner said:
Haha, bird. Let me make sure I get this right- in case of some spilling in the wort out of the airlock (is this suckback?), vodka won't disturb the fermentation much, but iodophor solution will? Star san is safe too?

No, suckback would be where the pressure in the fermenter drops (like from a temp change) and sucks air back in, and the airlock liquid along with it.

feedthebear said:
I'm sure gin would work fine. Personally, though, I can't stand the stuff. Its like drinking pine trees.

me neither, will the batch get potitally 'flavored' from this? that's why I want to get rid of it

the_bird said:
Here's the REAL question, though....

Who does a shot of the airlock vodka post-fermenation?

:drunk: I have a couple of times. I've been using Bacardi recently because I ran out of Banker's Club. It certainly doesn't taste right. :eek:

Is everclear cheaper than "vodka"?

Junk vodka is the only thing I buy from the rooty-toot liquor store a couple of blocks from my house. One day he asked why I buy a small bottle of crap vodka and then a large bottle of K1 or the like at the same time. I told him I needed the crap for the homebrew, but I didn't want to be seen in public with it. No I get SoCo instead. :)

FEARDIZ said:
how about gordon's dry gin .. I've had this bottle for a few years now?

Works fine. I had a bottle for my father in law for a year, and ended up using it. You can use any distilled spirit without any problems. The amount is so small that even if you have suck back, you likely won't notice it especially if it's a neutral spirit like vodka.

Back