Carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoppybrewster

Reaction score
Somebody talk to me about adding 1/2 tsp. of priming sugar to each empty bottle, skipping the bottling bucket step.

Mike

Mike

Well Mike Mike, when it works, it works, and when it doesn't work, you have flat beer or exploding bottles.

The problem is it's tough to get exactly the right amount of sugar in each bottle. A little less and they are flat, a little too much and they blow up. Also, boiling the sugar sanitizes it....but I doubt you'll get much of an infection risk from unboiled sugar. The real reason you don't do it is inconsistent results.

shortyjacobs said:
Well Mike Mike, when it works, it works, and when it doesn't work, you have flat beer or exploding bottles.

The problem is it's tough to get exactly the right amount of sugar in each bottle. A little less and they are flat, a little too much and they blow up. Also, boiling the sugar sanitizes it....but I doubt you'll get much of an infection risk from unboiled sugar. The real reason you don't do it is inconsistent results.

So you're saying using a every day kitchen measuring spoon would not be close enough? What about weighing it?

Mike

The whole point is (are):
1. Measuring the exact amount for each bottle is not easy
2. Measuring 48 times is a pain in the neck, takes too long and is boring leading to errors (see number 1)
3. It is much easier to add 4.5 ozs of corn sugar to the five gallons and gently stir.

#3 is accomplished by boiling the sugar in a pint of water for 15 minutes to sterilize, cooling it to room temp and then adding to the 5 gallon bucket. Your exact amount of sugar to add will depend on style and temperature but there are several free online calculators to help you figure it out. Measure once or measure 48 times? All things considered, I think I'll measure once.

I understand all of that. I've made probably 20 batches by now using that method. Seems like 10 or so out of each batch has no head. About the equal number or so has so much head I can't pour it and rest of the batch is fine.

Mike

I understand all of that. I've made probably 20 batches by now using that method. Seems like 10 or so out of each batch has no head. About the equal number or so has so much head I can't pour it and rest of the batch is fine.

Mike

well, here I would aslo say that time line is important, first few beer (if they are young) and the ambient temp is cool, (like it is there now)Will be flat, then after that it might be fully carbed (give or take a week) but the yeast has not droped out enough, wich provides nucleation "points" which would lead to the over active head. leave it a nother 4 week and that same beer(no more or less carbonation) would perfect
(my 2c )

Back