I give up, digging them up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MashStirBrew

Reaction score
I give up! Every July my hops attract what could be the worlds largest Japanese Beetle orgy and am ridding my yard of every plant that they like. They are on there 5th year and grow like weeds until July and then get stripped in about two weeks. 2 Cascades, which seem to do the best, 2 Willamete, a Golding, and a Hallertau. So my question to you all is now that I have time, would it be fine to dig them up now and give them to a few of my homebrew buddies, or should I wait till spring?

I would wait until spring. However, before you go diggin up the yard, you should try using some sevin dust. It works wonders for beetles.

Spring is fine but you can also do it at this time of the year. It would be best to let them die back and then transplant. Tell whoever is getting them to prepare a spot now for them while the weather is decent. Sorry for your problems, hops are fun to have around!

I'm a first year hop grower but long time gardener. I've found that the hops with a higher alpha acid content did WAY better than the "aroma" varieties, in the same conditions. Apparently, the lupulin is produced to keep bugs away from the cones (which normally contain seeds), so this makes some sense.

The varieties I got a bunch of cones from were Zeus and Chinook. Grasshoppers just about ate up my Cascade (not one cone yet); Magnum, Mt. Hood, Brewer's Gold haven't really produced much (maybe 1/4 of Zeus and Chinook).

This could also be because Chinook and Zeus are considered "vigorous" growers, so my alpha-acid theory might not be valid.

Also, I use Neem oil when I need to spray.

I have to strongly support JP's theory.
My hops are planted from low to high alpha. I have them planted in two different locations. Both areas, the low get devoured by beetles, the high are untouched. Since I have the room I've left the lows up so they can act as a lure/trap plant so my other hops remain untouched.

In addition to sevin, which I don't use I recomend grubex after season (fall) and before season (early spring)

They are likely living in your grass and will be back next year wondering where the hops are, when they don't find them they will hit the rest of your garden. Problem not solved. Material to consider.

I got a large bottle of chemical by Cutter you attach to a hose & spray the yard. It kills all biting insects,& 2 kinds of beetles. Japanese beetles being one of them. And other undesirable bugs. Spray it on the yard when it can have 24 hours to dry. I got it at Super Walmart for $8.97.

Yep, seven spray works for me to kill those bastards. But for prevention, treat your lawn. Gap Beatles start off as grubs, first killing your lawn before growing up and eating all your plants. Kill them before they have a chance!

Thanks for the advice everyone! Unfortunately grubex doesnt come cheap for a broke bastard like myself. (New baby, remodeling, etc,etc) As much as I would love to, treating an acre yard gets spendy! That and I know the neighbors wont either. Seven does work, I have used it, I just dont care for the idea of pestecides in my beer. I know, I know, its probably harmless after a few weeks. I guess my second biggest problem is time. I cant seem to find the time to brew let alone weed, feed, and debug. So for the time being im done with it all.
I decided just to wait till spring when everyone is in planting mode. Probably will be better for the plants anyway. Then I can cut them up and send them off to a few more people. I should get some good cuttings, especially from the cascade. Ill be sure to post in the spring to see if anyone is interested in some of them.
There will be a next time though and when I do I will be sure to go with the high AA varieties. My future beer garden would not be complete with out hops growing over it!

My guess is that a fall transplant is best for hops. They are usually done in the spring because hop ranchers have plenty to do in the fall. I could be wrong though.

Back