Bavarian Hefeweizen Yeast Concerns

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nowashburn

Reaction score
Hi all,

I originally posted this in extract brewing, but figured it made more sense to post here.

I made a Bavarian Hefeweizen Extract from Northern Brewer yesterday and I think there might be an issue with the yeast. I direct pitched the dry yeast at 80 degrees F and the room temp is a steady 60 degrees F.

The last few beers I did with dry yeast I direct pitched at the same temps and had no problems at all. In fact, they took off almost right away. Those beers were all ales though.

Its been 24 hours now and there is absolutely no activity going on in there. I know I should have patience but my main concern is that the yeast has already settled at the bottom. Being that this is a hefe, should I be seeing this much settlement at all let alone this early?

The yeast description says "Quick start and vigorous fermentation" and "Medium to high attenuation Non-flocculent strain". So this is why Im concerned.

Suggestions?

here is the yeast:
http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewi.../yeast/lallemand-munich-wheat-beer-yeast.html

here is the kit:
http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewing/bavarian-hefe-weizen-extract-kit-2.html

1. A Hefeweizen is an ale
2. Different yeasts act differently
3. 24 hour lag time is nothing. You should have delayed any concern and this post another 3 days.

There have been some issues with Danstar Munich lately. I had a batch that would not ferment, and there have been some other threads on the subject.

Wonder if Danstar had a bad batch, like they did with Nottie a while back?

There have been some issues with Danstar Munich lately. I had a batch that would not ferment, and there have been some other threads on the subject.

Wonder if Danstar had a bad batch, like they did with Nottie a while back?

wow, im reading all over now about people having major issues with not only danstar alone, but that yeast in particular. I have a feeling that this yeast is no good. I've never had to wait this long.

I dont have any other yeast that is made particularly for hefes but i do have an extra packet of regular old safbrew us-05. Any thoughts of re pitching with this yeast if things don't get better?

well, if i do decide to repitch with the us-05, i found that the northern brewer American Wheat Beer Extract Kit is very similar to the Bavarian Hefeweizen Kit and used the us-05. I guess I'll have an american style Hefe at that point. Thoughts?

well, if i do decide to repitch with the us-05, i found that the northern brewer American Wheat Beer Extract Kit is very similar to the Bavarian Hefeweizen Kit and used the us-05. I guess I'll have an american style Hefe at that point. Thoughts?

Give it 72 hours.

add some more of the same yeast... rehydrate at 90-95F for 15 minutes and pitch.

UPDATE:

so after 72 hours with no signs of fermentation, I repitched with the Safale US-05 Ale Yeast. Within 4 hours she started bubbling away. I just had a feeling there was something wrong with the Danstar I got. As mentioned before, there are quite a few people out there complaining about the same problems with this yeast.

Does anyone have any insight what This might end up tasting like? Also, thanks for all the comments and help :)

Not so much of a clove or banana flavor. Still probably going to be tasty. Maybe something closer to a Pyramid Hef instead of Paulaner?

Yesterday I used a packet of Munich I bought from NB about a month ago. It hasn't shown any activity in over 24 hours either. I hope this isn't a trend...

My Munich yeast finally showed signs of fermentation on Monday morning after pitching on a Friday afternoon. It was an all-grain hefeweizen with o.g. of 1.045, so I don't think I was expecting too much from the yeast.

I'm sticking to Safale's dry wheat yeast from now on...

Back