Grain Infographic

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

norwegiangeek

Reaction score
I'm a visual person, and just found this infographic about hops and was curious if there was something similar out there about Grains? Not really sure what info it would show (SRM, etc?) but just curious if anyone has seen anything out there like this;

http://zekeshore.com/hops_v1.12.png

On a side note, if no one knows anything like the above pic, would there be interest in me putting one together? And if so please post below what information you'd like it to show.

I feel that stuff like the above pic would be useful to have when trying to formulate a new recipe but I would need to know what characteristics of a grain people look at when determining one grain over another.

Or maybe people just follow recipes blindly they find online and it's not really needed.

anyway, i'm rambling. Let me know if any of that made sense and it worth some time investment. Thanks,

Wow, that's a great graphic. It would be very interesting to see a similar visual guide to grains, but you'd have to develop a similar multi-part division that is quantifiable. Perhaps if we came up with general categories, then a graphic designer could generate the art?

Here are some ideas:

PPG (in decreasing value on the X-scale)
Lovibond rating (on bottom half of Y-scale, probably going to go in increasing direction, as darker malts are less fermentable)
Recommended Max % of recipe the grain should compose (on top half of Y-scale, again generally decreasing trend left to right)
Sub-indicators of top half of Y-scale:
-> Sweetness
-> Roastiness
-> Bitterness
-> Affect on head retention/lacing

What would some other useful things be?

Yeah, I'd be more than up to do doing the art if I could get help with the categories. I've done a bit of Photoshop/Illustrator work before and feel I could do something similar.

I'd be happy to post it here as a PDF if people were interested.

is there a way to quantify the sweetness or lacing? Otherwise I'd just have to denote which grain did or didn't add that character.

I started working on how things like that might be quantified, and I haven't come up with a way yet. Interestingly, the descriptions of Crystal 20, Crystal 40, Crystal 60, etc, say things like "Slightly more color and flavor than the Caramel 20 malt."

Here's a good text reference for the descriptions:
http://www.learntobrew.com/page/1fbcj/Shopping/Malt_Styles_Chart.html

Now, how can we display this visually?

Yeah, I'm basically taking that information and going to format it more visually.

I actually have an idea on how I plan on doing this so unless anyone has any additional information they think would be helpful to display I'm going to start working on this tonight after SWMBO goes to bed.

I'll try and throw up an update by next Monday. Cheers!

That would be incredibly helpful. That is the first time I saw that hop graphic and a grain version would be equally amazing! Good luck to you.

I'm a visual person, and just found this infographic about hops and was curious if there was something similar out there about Grains? Not really sure what info it would show (SRM, etc?) but just curious if anyone has seen anything out there like this;

http://zekeshore.com/hops_v1.12.png

On a side note, if no one knows anything like the above pic, would there be interest in me putting one together? And if so please post below what information you'd like it to show.

I feel that stuff like the above pic would be useful to have when trying to formulate a new recipe but I would need to know what characteristics of a grain people look at when determining one grain over another.

Or maybe people just follow recipes blindly they find online and it's not really needed.

anyway, i'm rambling. Let me know if any of that made sense and it worth some time investment. Thanks,

Wow, this is a great chart. I'm new to HB and would be interested in better understanding the flavor profiles of various hops varieties. Has anyone put together a resource that details the hops used in various commercial beers? this might allow me to taste my way through the chart shown above and get a sense for which hops varieties produce flavors I like. Also, does anyone have a sense for whether the finishing hops will dominate the taste profile of the beer or if the bittering hops will have sufficient impact that it will be difficult to determine which hops is really responsible for the flavor profile. Thanks in advance for helping a newbie.

A grain chart like that would be awesome!

On the topic of the hop chart, are there any hops not on there? I know there's a couple local varieties not shown and im thinking about asking the original author if he'd mind me editing his chart to add the missing ones. Boy others missing that you guys would like added?

A grain chart like that would be awesome!

On the topic of the hop chart, are there any hops not on there? I know there's a couple local varieties not shown and im thinking about asking the original author if he'd mind me editing his chart to add the missing ones. Boy others missing that you guys would like added?

I'd like to see Amarillo on there. Also maybe Citra.

Regarding the hop chart, I have the same data in an excel chart. Unfortunately for each hop it gives a range.

It would be very cool, to along with the AA% for the hops we buy, to also have exact conc. of the various oils. Then one could accurately predict hop aromas, and would be extremely helpful for creating recipes, particularly when it comes to hop substitutions. There would be nothing cooler than to be able to say, I want a beer with W amount of Farnesene, X Caryophyllene, Y humulene, and Z myrcene, and to be able to calculate exactly what hops would give you those numbers.

Actually I wouldn't be surpised it the very large brewers don't already do this (for what aroma they do have).

Ok, so I mentioned I'd have a preview up last week...but I'm highly unreliable, it's kinda my thing.

Anyway, worked on it a bit and what I decided was that I would end up with several graphics like the one below and them combine them on a larger size poster. This one is for grains that add Body. I can make up one like it for each flavor profile (biscuit, caramel, chocolate, Head, etc).

I wanted to post this here and get feedback before moving on as this is taking a bit more time than I anticipated and I don't want to end up 90% done just to have to start over.

So far the one thing I want to look at changing is the placement of the grain name, I think I'd prefer to see them all level with each other. Also, for all the crystal malts besides the 150, I didn't have a maximum amount recommended to use so I just guessed 15%. If that's not right can someone point that out below. I also don't have a key pointing out what the different bars are like that hop one had but that'll be the last thing I do.

You can see the image in full size by clicking here. Please post feedback below.

Norwegiangeek, thank you for doing the work to create a chart on grains but please include a legend to the chart so I can understand what each color band means.

With regard to hops, perhaps the group can build a library of information on hops used in commercial brews. I'll make the first posting.....

Yesterday, I tried Urthel's Hop-It, a very hoppy beer from Belgium. I e-mailed the brewery and they were kind enough to let me know that it is brewed with Magnum, Saaz and Spalz hops.

If others are willing to reply to this post with similar information, I'll put it into an Excel spread sheet and post it back to the group.

I'm sure you've seen this, but there might be some information you could include.

BrewersFormulary-11x17.jpg

Back