Possibly brewing an old extract kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikefranciotti

Reaction score
My buddy was helping his father in law clean out some stuff from his basement and he found an extract kit still in the box and gave it to me.

I have absolutely no idea how old it is, it's a Brewers Best kit but the style of the box & it's contents doesn't look anything like the Brewers Best kits I've recently been brewing.

Does LME and all the other vacuum sealed items expire/go bad?

I'd like to brew it just to have another primary bubbling but don't know if it's a complete waste of time.

Help a newb out.

-Mike

I wouldn't use it, but hey, you got nothing to lose but time...although time is very valuable, second only to clean drinking water...

I must say after brewing a few batches, my patience has increased BUT if it's a true waste of time than I'm not going to bother. I've got two primaries going right now, 1 extract kit waiting to brew and two more mini-mash kids en route from Austin Homebrew Shop getting here on Monday so it's not like I'll be in short supply of brew in a few weeks.

Anybody else know for certain if this is a bad idea?

I wouldn't use it. You'll get a fermentable solution, but I doubt it'll taste that great. LME should be as fresh a possible for best results. That stuff could have been sitting for 10 years. I'd just brew what's on the way from AHB.

Cheers :mug:

Back