hops poppin' in jersey!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No joke, some of the sprouts on my 3rd year Chinook are 10" long already and there are about 30 of them. Cascade and Centennial are not far behind. I've got to make some time to get them out of pots and into the ground.

Mine are popping too in the planters, waiting a few more weeks before I put them outside for good though

Yep. The cascade and northern brewers are pushing up. Waiting for the willamette and magnum. I will put them outside probably next week.

You guys don't have to keep your hops in containers do you? I know that the winters can be harsh up here, but I was planning on planting my new rhizomes directly into the ground after the first frost this year. Have you noticed better performance by allowing them time to takeoff inside before bringing them out for good? Is that performance worth the less root space they have? I'm really torn right now between containers and a more "permanent" space for the hops.

stuck my nuggets in the ground last year about this time when they arrived. they apparently did just fine over the winter

You guys don't have to keep your hops in containers do you? I know that the winters can be harsh up here, but I was planning on planting my new rhizomes directly into the ground after the first frost this year. Have you noticed better performance by allowing them time to takeoff inside before bringing them out for good? Is that performance worth the less root space they have? I'm really torn right now between containers and a more "permanent" space for the hops.

Mine are in pots because it was still freezing at night when I got my Rhizomes. As soon as I find a weekend to do it I will get them in the ground. I'm a little concerned about transplanting them but it was my only option at the time.

Mine have finally come up. Cascades and Fuggles first, as always. Had another freeze this morning though, makes for slow growth. Need to get new twine hooked up, but I figure I have two months.

My Cascades have about 2 or 3 inches of new shoots popping out of the ground. Planted 'em last spring but got no cones last year. Hoping for a first crop this year.

I am in SE CT and just ordered my rhizomes. Ordered Cascade, Fuggles, Mt. Hood & Sterling.

Am I OK if these get in the ground in the next two weeks?

Cheers

SE PA here, second year Nugget and Cascade popped in the last 2 days. The Cascade are 2-3" (there are TONS of bines), and the Nugget are about 1". Haven't decided yet whether I'm going to reduce the number of bines or just let them go crazy...

I put my potted hops in the basement for the winter- and then they started sprouting in like- Jan! So I cut the growth (2feet or so) and put them outside so that they would understand that it's winter and still time to sleep. But now there is nothing happening with them- I'm afraid that they might have used too much energy mid winter to be healthy now....... But- my hops that are planted in the backyard are not sprouting either....WTF- I'm not That much farther north (about 25min from NY state line) Sigh..........

I put my potted hops in the basement for the winter- and then they started sprouting in like- Jan! So I cut the growth (2feet or so) and put them outside so that they would understand that it's winter and still time to sleep. But now there is nothing happening with them- I'm afraid that they might have used too much energy mid winter to be healthy now....... But- my hops that are planted in the backyard are not sprouting either....WTF- I'm not That much farther north (about 25min from NY state line) Sigh..........

It's all about the soil temp. If you have a large amount of compost or other material on top of the hop rhizome you can have a delayed start, if it gets more shade than others it will also tend to sprout later.

You can also very carefully dig down with your hand (I mean like you are excavating a fossil) and see if new growth has started. Depending on how much compost or soil between the rhizome and the surface it could take many days for the growth to break the surface.

Give it some time, we are just in the beginning of April!

Haha! All present and correct is military speak.....Maybe not in the US though.:eek:

Ah correct as in accounted for. I even checked your location to see if it was a UK/Canadian thing! I watch TopGear on the BBC and half the time I'm staring blankly at the screen when they say something I have no clue the meaning of....

Totally off topic, but for a great example of what I'm talking about meet the Ariel Atom (this thing is amazing):

Seems like you have to click on the link to go to youtube's site and not directly in this thread....

Last edited by a moderator:
Back