Project 10der and Mild: 10 Milds in 10 days in Month 10

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
olllllo's Mild:​

Aroma: Malty, but not sweet. Some slight grainy, or roastiness. Aroma advertises itself as a Mild. No fruity aroma. Smells dry.

Appearance: Deep brown with some slight ruby tones. Clear…but not yet crystal. Head is slight, but rich and laces the glass well. Dissipating head left a slight swirl of froth on the surface. Beer appears to be carb’d to mild standards…low, but thorough.

Flavor: Great initial dark malt tones…on the mild side. No off flavors. No apparent flaws. Quenching, but rich at the same time. Slight roastiness is nice. Clean crisp aftertaste. Finished dry. Top of the palate picks up the chocolate malt. Not too much in the way of dextrins. Again, dry, but certainly to style for a mild. Tastes very good.

Mouthfeel: Light but slightly chewy at the same time. Carbonation is low (perfect for this style) and props up the flavor profile just right. Easy to drink…and drink. Not over filling. Clean mouthfeel.

Overall: A very nice example of a mild on the dryer side. A nice dry mild with no astringency at all. Very easy to enjoy several of these. The “buzz factor” was a bit higher than my 2.8% version, but easily a quantity session beer. Perfect for this time of year.

Anything I’d Change: A light grain bill like this with this quantity of dark grains could easily mash at 160 if you wanted to increase the dextrins. For my taste, I would mash at 158-160 for 40 minutes to preserve those unfermentables and give it a little “chew” factor.

Very enjoyable, well brewed beer.

Anything I’d Change: A light grain bill like this with this quantity of dark grains could easily mash at 160 if you wanted to increase the dextrins. For my taste, I would mash at 158-160 for 40 minutes to preserve those unfermentables and give it a little “chew” factor.

Believe me. Higher mash is what I aims to do. It was a fluke that I mashed too low.

GreenwoodRover's Mild

Appearance: Dark. Damn dark. Well into Porter/Stout territory. Opaque like a porter or stout, too. Moderate tan head settles into a light ring around the rim. This looks like a big-bodied beer.

Aroma: Chocolate and coffee notes overwhelm everything else. Very rich and roasty. Hints of tobacco. I'm not getting much hop aroma except as a very slight hint of wintergreen.

Mouthfeel: This is where things get a little weird. Not in a bad way, just surprising. This beer has a light body and dry finish, completely contradicting the appearance and aroma. You're expecting a very full-bodied, heavy, mouth filling beer and instead you get a dry, light-bodied one. It doesn't linger except as a back of the palate bitterness.

Flavor: Very nice. Exactly like it smells -- bittersweet chocolate, coffee, tobacco. Well brewed with no off flavors. Very clean, with a dark, roasted bite. A slight dried fruit (maybe?) flavor in the background if you chew it a bit. I'm not getting any hop flavors unless they are combined with the roasted bitterness that settles at the back of your tongue.

Reaction: I like it. My wife liked it, too, which is surprising. She usually doesn't go for dark beers. Very rich aroma. A little thin, though. I think I'd like it with just a bit more body and a (very) little residual sweetness to balance the promise of the aroma. This strikes me as a mild version of a dry stout.

Thanks for sending them!

Chad

I really under estimated the power of the CarafaIII to darken things. I'm glad that it was clean tasting, but I think if I were to re-do this one I would definately scale back on the Brown Malt maybe to 1/2lb rather than 1lb (replacing the lost grain with more Maria Otter) and I would cut the carafaIII to 3oz vs 4 and DEFINATELY mash higher. Thanks for the reviews. I should be getting around to sampling and reviewing Chad and BM's milds tonight or tomorrow.

Professor Frink's Mild

Poured into an imperial pint glass (nonic) from 22 oz. bottle. In my haste I forgot to let it warm a bit before pouring so initially it was about 40F. I allowed it to warm some to 50F. I did a second tasting later with the 2nd bottle (hope I wasn't supposed to save that for later :eek:!) and compared to my original notes. This time warmed to 54F

mild.jpg

APPEARANCE: A vigorous pour yielded a billowing head with creamy top. Head eventually settled to a nice crema that lasted through to the end. A raw sienna translucent color with slight haze and amber higlights. Occasional bubbles can be seen to lazily meander to the top. No lacing.

AROMA Is subtle though comes out more as it warmed. Second tasting confirmed this. Mocha and toffee can be detected. A swirl releases some faint dried fruit notes. A bit of tartness is detected upon warming.

FLAVOR Very nicely balanced and blended flavors. Nothing stands out alone so it is hard to pick the flavors apart. All the flavors suggested by the aroma certainly. Bready maltiness. Hop bitterness and flavor does its job and just serves as a balance to the caramel sweetness and does not assert itself. Just enough roasty character, hints of coffee. Again, good mingling of flavors.

MOUTHFEEL Nice and creamy carbonation. A bit of bite from it in the end is left on the tongue. Perhaps to be expected from the rapid carbonation process. Should mellow. Solid body, not too chewy but enough to drink bigger than it is. Satisfying. Somewhat slick viscosity coats the mouth, very creamy. This would be wicked cask conditioned.

OVERALL Nicely done. Very easy drinking and enjoyable mild. What was the ABV on this? Felt a bit more buzzed than expected after only 1 bomber. Could be a psychological reaction as this beer "drinks bigger" wit the dextrinous body. I would say the only improvement I could offer would be a slower carbonation process. It was not over-carbed but a bit tingly in the finish.

Chad's Kitchen Staff II Mild

APPEARANCE
Nice head on a medium velocity pour that dissipates to a slight ring around the glass. Clear brown when held up to a light with some slight reddish (maroon?) tones.

AROMA
Slightly roasty with some fruity-ness hinted, I think your worries about a "too cold" ferement are without merit.

MOUTHFEEL
Medium body with slightly dry finish maybe due to sampling below 50dF. At the beginning of the 22oz I was thinking it might be slightly over carbed, but by the end of the glass that thought was gone.

FLAVOR
Mild and Balanced. Slightly roasty with a subtly nut background and some fruit tones (plum?). As the sample warmed the flavors blended better and made me wish I let it sit on the counter in the bottle for 20min vs 5min.

OVERALL
I really like the flavor profile of the NW Ale Yeast it makes me want to try it in an ESB. I've never had Ashburne Malt it I think it added an interesting flavor similar to brown malt but less harsh or "upfront." I made a bad mistake of sampling too cold this beer was definately at its peak at above 50dF as it was my first sip was at 46. Good beer, I really enjoyed it as my after dinner lounger.

Zymurgrafi's Mild:

Appearance: Clear, slightly overcarbed with a nice head. Brown color. Very attractive. I LOVE the label. Love it. I'm saving the bottle with the label, because it was so awesome.

Aroma: First opened at 45 degrees (too cold!). The aroma is roasty caramel. No hops notes noted. As it warms it becomes more roasty, less sweet smelling.

Mouthfeel: Nice, thin bodied beer with a richness that follows the swallow.

Flavor: Rich, roasty notes and mellow bitterness make this an easy drinker. Definitely NO flaws. It's a very nice balanced mild, and very pleasurable to drink. As it warms, it becomes even more enjoyable. It's so good, though, it's hard to wait for it to actually get to serving temperature!

Overall: I really enjoyed this! My tasting partner (who always claims half of my swap receipts) said, "This is good- but it tastes a lot like yours!" I'd be curious to see the recipe next to mine (I used Jamil's) and compare notes.

sorry, guys. i screwed up. the friggin beer froze in the fridge, and thawed it doesn't taste to great. i've got my (original) little red hen that i brewed last week...i'm going to take care of that this weekend and send it out with a special.

it'll still be a 10-day, and it'll still be a mild...just a little later than expected. :eek:

Professor Frink's Mild

Poured into an imperial pint glass (nonic) from 22 oz. bottle. In my haste I forgot to let it warm a bit before pouring so initially it was about 40F. I allowed it to warm some to 50F. I did a second tasting later with the 2nd bottle (hope I wasn't supposed to save that for later :eek:!) and compared to my original notes. This time warmed to 54F

mild.jpg

APPEARANCE: A vigorous pour yielded a billowing head with creamy top. Head eventually settled to a nice crema that lasted through to the end. A raw sienna translucent color with slight haze and amber higlights. Occasional bubbles can be seen to lazily meander to the top. No lacing.

AROMA Is subtle though comes out more as it warmed. Second tasting confirmed this. Mocha and toffee can be detected. A swirl releases some faint dried fruit notes. A bit of tartness is detected upon warming.

FLAVOR Very nicely balanced and blended flavors. Nothing stands out alone so it is hard to pick the flavors apart. All the flavors suggested by the aroma certainly. Bready maltiness. Hop bitterness and flavor does its job and just serves as a balance to the caramel sweetness and does not assert itself. Just enough roasty character, hints of coffee. Again, good mingling of flavors.

MOUTHFEEL Nice and creamy carbonation. A bit of bite from it in the end is left on the tongue. Perhaps to be expected from the rapid carbonation process. Should mellow. Solid body, not too chewy but enough to drink bigger than it is. Satisfying. Somewhat slick viscosity coats the mouth, very creamy. This would be wicked cask conditioned.

OVERALL Nicely done. Very easy drinking and enjoyable mild. What was the ABV on this? Felt a bit more buzzed than expected after only 1 bomber. Could be a psychological reaction as this beer "drinks bigger" wit the dextrinous body. I would say the only improvement I could offer would be a slower carbonation process. It was not over-carbed but a bit tingly in the finish.

Glad you liked it. I actually carbed it a bit more than to style since it was my first time using the BMBF and I didn't know if I'd lose any carbonation during bottling. The ABV came out to 3.8% for that bad boy.

Sorry this has taken a while but unfortunately the night i tried yours and Chriso beers was the same night I came down with a nasty stomach bug(48-54 hours of hell) so my tastes may have been off

Professor Frink's Mild​

APPEARANCE:
Lighter in color than I expected with a nice small head (i did not do an aggressive pour) that settled to thin layer.
AROMA:
I smell some caramel notes with a bit of fruit( I have a poor sense of smell, so take this comment with that in mind)
FLAVOR
I could taste a caramel/toffee flavor, but it did not overwhelm. In balance
MOUTHFEEL
Of the three I tasted (mine included) this was in the middle, which put it well in style(with the noted slight overcarb)
OVERALL
Good job. I would drink this again if given the opportunity;). An enjoyable session beer

I was surprised to hear that the Indie Brown was 100 IBU's because I tasted the same (only stronger) caramel flavor. (that was the last thing I had before I got sick, so......................my taste may have been way off)

Chriso's Mild​

APPEARANCE:
The darkest of the three I had but not as dark as a porter. A small off-white head that lasted till 1/2 glass
AROMA:
Hints of Chocolate and toffee, a very inviting smell
FLAVOR:
A nice blend of caramel/chocolate/fruity, well balanced
MOUTHFEEL:
It's a mild so not "chewy" but it had some body with a softness(can't think of the right word, but the opposite of a carbonation bite) at the end of the sip
OVERALL:
I could drink that all day, well done!

Thanks very much for the kind words, niquejim, I'm glad you liked it! I can attest that SWMBO and I have, indeed, been drinking this stuff every day & night... It's great because you can knock back three or four really big glasses, and still have energy for the rest of the night! Now I'm just afraid the keg is gonna kick any second!

Thanks very much for the kind words, niquejim, I'm glad you liked it! I can attest that SWMBO and I have, indeed, been drinking this stuff every day & night... It's great because you can knock back three or four really big glasses, and still have energy for the rest of the night! Now I'm just afraid the keg is gonna kick any second!

Mine did last night:(:(

Flyangler18's Mild

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into an imperial pint glass. 51F temp (first round)
flyanglermild1.jpg

APPEARANCE: A vigorous pour down the middle yields a shallow dense head that quickly dissipates (see overall for supplementary info) to a delicate frosting. Dark tawny brown and somewhat opaque and cloudy. Golden highlights around the edges. Lacing is light and only clings a few cm above the liquid line (see overall for supplementary info)

AROMA: Raisin oatmeal cookies with a touch of cinnamon. Currants. Aroma is not particularly strong but swirling releases it.

FLAVOR: Very bready upfront than caramel. A sweet tangy hearth bread caramelized crust taste. A brief note of toffee in the middle and a touch of roast plus some tangy-ness. Dry cacao powdery-ness in the finish and a bit of dark coffee.

MOUTHFEEL A touch more than medium body. Carbonation is smooth and creamy upfront then a bit sharp and tingly on the tongue in the finish. I do not think it is overcarbed, but I am still learning. Guess I need a trip to the UK for some research ;)

OVERALL Another very enjoyable mild. Clarity could have been better, but other than that it was very quaffable and tasty. Took 2 bottles to get all my notes as it was easy drinking and I found the glass empty before I took al my notes! The second bottle was only warmed to about 48F (temp in the glass) but yielded different appearance factors. The head was a bit more substantial and lasting and the lacing stickier. Curious. Here is the lacing on the second glass.
flynglerlacing.jpg

I let them sit a day or so as the had some foaming at the neck presumably from travel. It did not settle down but does not appear to have any effect on the beer.

Well done.

Yooper's Mild

APPEARANCE: The pour gives a large off-white head with excellent retention. Brown with a reddish hue, very clear. Very nice lacing on the glass during the session.

AROMA: Caramel notes with a sweet almost cinnamon smell. Nice rasin notes as well. Strong aroma but not overpowering.

FLAVOR: Very balanced. Slight biscuit notes up front, not much sweetness with a touch of roastiness towards the end. Slight chocolate flavor. No flavor overpowering, so they meld together very well.

MOUTHFEEL Very smooth. Carbonation level perfect for style. Light in body, but not lacking any character.

OVERALL An excellent mild. The flavors blend together incredibly well so as to make it very enjoyable. Head retention is excellent, still 1/2" left at the bottom of the glass. A wonderfully quaffable beer, well done.

Sorry for the late input. I've been buried on a project.

Flyangler's Mild

Appearance
Pours with a half inch creamy tan head that quickly settles to a light foam cap. Opaque with copper and orange highlights when held to the light.

Aroma
Seasonal allergies have limited my sense of smell, but I'm getting a bit of chocolate, some roastiness, and a very slight wintergreen spiciness I associate with EKG/Fuggles. Upon aggressive swirling I get some of the earthy spice of the English hops and a clean bready* aroma.

Flavor
Definitely in line with the aroma. Mostly dry with some roasty bitterness, kind of like black coffee. A little wintergreen from the hops. I'm not getting the cinnamon someone noted earlier, but as I said I'm a bit snuffley at the moment.

Mouthfeel
Moderately full bodied with a lingering back-of-the-palate bitterness. Very nice. Finishes mostly dry, but with a sense of "weight" as you drink it.

Overall
Very nice. A clean mild with a bit of body and a dark roasted bitterness and a hint of hop aroma and flavor. Clarity could be a little better, but we all made compromises to get these out the door. A little more residual sweetness to balance the roasted bitterness wouldn't be a bad thing.

*like dough rising.

Thanks again!
Chad

I remembered that I still owed BierMuncher a Review. I thought I posted it but just recently came across my notes and realized that I had not.

BierMunchers Mild

Apperarance
1/4" thick head in a pint glass after a medium vigor pour. Head persists and laces all the way through. Deep brown color with some ruby tones when held to a light.

Aroma
Clean and mildly roasty with fruity tones (plum?) at the first sniff

Flavor
Roasty sweet with some caramel notes. A little fruit at the back. Malt is the theme here, bittners exists only to balance and the beer is well balanced for the style.

Mouthfeel
Silky medium body appropriate for the style. My guess is that you mashed high where I wanted to but unfortunately I missed my temps.

Overall
A good example of a dark mild. Easy to drink and very flavorful.

I hope Death is still alive. Wait. :confused:

I'm just worried because DHL took about a bajillion times to deliver my package. Went from a 15 day old mild to a month old mild, thanks alot, the guys in Yeller. Oh well, with the news release, it looks like I have to switch to FEX or UPS anyways, no more DHL domestic shipments in a month.....

I liked them for a couple of very small reasons - 1, no fee for pickup on my personal (beer) shipments because we have a scheduled daily stop at work ... 2, no up front payment, i just get a bill in my email a couple weeks after shipping. That's about it. :p

I think FEX is the quickest without resorting to jacked-up shipping cost. But I've always been wary of them - all the horror stories about playing soccer with packages. :eek:

...But I've always been wary of them - all the horror stories about playing soccer with packages. :eek:

Having worked for both the USPS and UPS I can say that is true of most of the shippers. Especially UPS. Man, the things I saw in the brief time I was there.

:fro:

niquejim's Fat Owl Pale (APA?)

Appearance: Copper with tint of Orange and moderate clarity. Low head.
Aroma: Malty caramel sweet with medium hop.
Flavor: Finishes with a crisp and clean bitterness with some resinous and citrusy character. A little fruity and caramel sweet.
Mouthfeel: Medium body with crispy carbonation bite.

Overall impression: This is a very enjoyable beer, but a little perplexing stylewise.
The grain profile and taste seem to fit an English Pale 8C. Getting some sweet malty and caramel flavors which don't square with an APA. Bitterness is prominent as well as hop flavor but I wasn't getting the Cascade aroma like I would expect from an APA. Carbonation was more fitting of an APA. It would be interesting to try this with an English hop. Good job. A real tasty "discussion" beer.

alright, everybody. i screwed up. my equipment for bottling has been stuck at a friends house and i've been really in the dumps lately. after my first batch of mild got screwed, i never got around to bottling anything.

i'll make it up to my recipients in a few weeks. i'm bottling my SMaSH ale and my Banana Bread Ale (natural carb in bottle) and i will send you each a six pack.

I will also do a 10-day mild in the future with my original plan to naturally carbonate in the keg and filter. when i do, i'll send you some of those as well.

i'm an idiot. please forgive me for screwing up this swap.

alright, everybody. i screwed up. my equipment for bottling has been stuck at a friends house and i've been really in the dumps lately. after my first batch of mild got screwed, i never got around to bottling anything.

i'll make it up to my recipients in a few weeks. i'm bottling my SMaSH ale and my Banana Bread Ale (natural carb in bottle) and i will send you each a six pack.

I will also do a 10-day mild in the future with my original plan to naturally carbonate in the keg and filter. when i do, i'll send you some of those as well.

i'm an idiot. please forgive me for screwing up this swap.

Hey, in today's environment...much can be forgiven. Course...this is coming from someone who received all of their swap beers. :p

I forgive ya, but you might want to save my bottle of Banana Bread for yourself ... I am very slowly adapting to the concept of banana esters, and fear your beer might be completely lost on me!!! ;) :D

But srsly, it's all good. Group hug.

niquejim's Fat Owl Pale (APA?)

Appearance: Copper with tint of Orange and moderate clarity. Low head.
Aroma: Malty caramel sweet with medium hop.
Flavor: Finishes with a crisp and clean bitterness with some resinous and citrusy character. A little fruity and caramel sweet.
Mouthfeel: Medium body with crispy carbonation bite.

Overall impression: This is a very enjoyable beer, but a little perplexing stylewise.
The grain profile and taste seem to fit an English Pale 8C. Getting some sweet malty and caramel flavors which don't square with an APA. Bitterness is prominent as well as hop flavor but I wasn't getting the Cascade aroma like I would expect from an APA. Carbonation was more fitting of an APA. It would be interesting to try this with an English hop. Good job. A real tasty "discussion" beer.

I started with this TastyBrew.com | Recipes, made it a little smaller and darker and it became https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f66/fat-owl-pale-ale-55221/, which has become my favorite beer. An English/American APA is a blend of my two favorite beers so this is the logical next step:mug:

Heads Up: Goose Island (Chicago) released their seasonal winter beer. Goose Island Mild Winter. Looks very good. I bought a 6er, and am warming one up right now. They bill it as an American Mild Ale.
gimild.jpg

Pours a brilliant dark chestnut color... like a medium-colored Brown ale...
My nose is a bit stuffy so I'm not getting much aroma, but it's got a bit of biscuit and perhaps chocolate and a little mocha.
I'm not getting much flavor profile out of it, too cold. More in a sec.
Flavor is very toned down. Grain and bread, a little nuttiness. I'm picking up a decent American hop charge for a mild, but not overly hoppy per se. A little bit of spicy rye finishes out the flavor.

According to ( http://kcbeerblog.blogspot.com/2008/12/goose-islands-mild-winter.html ) it's 5.6% ABV, so it's clearly Americanized. :p

Heads Up: Goose Island (Chicago) released their seasonal winter beer. Goose Island Mild Winter. Looks very good. I bought a 6er, and am warming one up right now. They bill it as an American Mild Ale.
gimild.jpg

Pours a brilliant dark chestnut color... like a medium-colored Brown ale...
My nose is a bit stuffy so I'm not getting much aroma, but it's got a bit of biscuit and perhaps chocolate and a little mocha.
I'm not getting much flavor profile out of it, too cold. More in a sec.
Flavor is very toned down. Grain and bread, a little nuttiness. I'm picking up a decent American hop charge for a mild, but not overly hoppy per se. A little bit of spicy rye finishes out the flavor.

According to ( KC Beer Blog: Goose Island's Mild Winter ) it's 5.6% ABV, so it's clearly Americanized. :p

I saw a case of this stuff at costco the other day and almost jumped on it. The reviews from beeradvocate are good, but they list it as a rye ale and not a mild. I'm looking for a mild to try out the style, would this be a waste of time for that purpose? Thinking of brewing orfy's recipe....

This would not be a representation of a British Mild such as Orfy's. BUT I have brewed a wonderful mild, and can recommend it as an excellent beer, no matter what this particular not-"Mild" tastes like.

That said, I think it's quite a nice holiday beer. I love rye, I'm biased. But DO brew Orfy's mild anyways!!

My 10der and Mild took third in English Brown Ales at the 2008 HHHC Competition in St. Louis. This was the final qualifying event for the Eleventh Annual Masters Championship of Amateur Brewing and there were 365 total entries. I took a few other awards including 2nd in American Pale Ale (a sh!tload of entries in that one).

I knew this mild was tasty...but it's nice to have someone else agree.

10Der_3.jpg

Congrats, Biermuncher!!! Are you, uh, listing your full haul of ribbons anywhere? How much did you enter in total? :D

I wish my keg were not empty. I want another Mild really bad, now.

And I *HAD* to go use all of my odd-end specialty grains in my recipe, too... I would have to buy at least 5# of random, seldom-used malts to reproduce my recipe. But - Perhaps this is my opportunity to "rein in" my recipe, add in a little Honey Malt... mmmm I love my Honey malt...

Daggum. I'm thirsty. All I have are salt & vinegar chips. They'd go great ... with a big old glass of Mild.

Edit: Also - I think you have your RedHook ESB clone in the database twice, it is appearing under your drop down more than once.

Inspired by this thread I brewed up a mild based somewhat on Orfy's recipe. I used Wyeast 1968 and bottled at about 9 days. It took a good 2 weeks to carbonate so it wasn't exactly young but this is right up there as one of the favorite beers I have brewed. It is a nice dark brown, the aroma is of english hops with a bit of yeast esters. It is full bodied but easy to drink. Just wonderful.

I got a 1l Octoberfest mug a while back and this beer is the perfect excuse to use it. I just pour a 22oz bottle into the big mug and enjoy. It seems the oversized mug concentrates the aroma near my nose for some wonderful smells.

Thats for the inspiration. Hopefully at some point I will be kegging and can try this again on the 10day to 2 week schedule.

Craig

Back