mini mash a day ahead of extract brew???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ethangray19

Reaction score
can i do a mini mash of some munich malt the night before I brew my extract IPA with specialty grains. I dont have all the time to do the mini mash plus the brew session on my brew day??

hmmm...this is a tuff question. I guess its like making your own extract so i bet you could...i would store it in an air tight sanitized container. But wait til others post cuz im not positive.

My inclination is to say, "no". It sounds good in theory, but I'd be concerned about unboiled wort becoming too high in lactic acid. Malt is noted to be likely infected with bacteria, particularly those that cause lactic infections, that's why you don't mill your grain by finished wort. If you mash it, you'd have to boil the wort and then why not just finish the beer?

Why don't you steep your munich malt with your steeping grains? Just steep them all at 155 for 45 minutes? That's what I would do, instead of two separate steeps anyway.

I've never done it, but I've seen others post about doing a 5 gallon AG mash one evening, then boiling it the next day.

I'm not enough of a chemist to truly grasp what happens in freshly extracted wort. But I'd think that with a mashout to halt enzymatic conversion (i.e. stabilizing the mash?), and the fact that these people were basically going to bed after the MLT was drained, then waking up and starting the boil...the wort would probably still be 120F 8 hours later. I doubt lactobacilis could jump in that quickly, but that's just an assumption.

I say do it. Its a mini-mash so its not all of your fermentables if something goes awry, or if it just ends up slightly sour, the malt extract will help soften it.

let us know how it turns out.

I don't know the scientific cons of doing it, but based on what little I do know, not being a chemist...I personally wouldn't do it...I tryto avoid situations that delay starting the fermentation process...the sooner you pitch the yeast the quicker you get the healthy organisms in there fighting for you, and kicking the bitt of any wild microbe...and you want to do that before the wild ones have a chance to take over....but you are boiling the wort afterall...so you may be fine...

thanks for all the opinions; i am not sure what ill do but steeping them at 155 for 45 min sounds pretty easy.

I keep hearing that i must mash my munich malt, but some dont think so??????

Latest posts

Back