My efficiency

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cgrivois

Reaction score
Need help with calculating my efficientcy. Went from BIAB to a MLT for the first time with Cream of Three Crop. Not sure if I use my pre boil or post boil numbers. Also I understand there are different types of efficiecy calculations, not sure which one I want, just want to compair to what other people get when they say my efficiecie was ...

Pre boil I had 13 gal of wort at 1.043
Post boil I had 11 gal of wort at 1.047

12 lb Pale Malt (2 row) US
4 lb Flaked Corn, Maize
1 lb minuite rise
one hand full of rice hulls.

I mashed in with 7 gallons of water, had to add another gallon to get my temp up to 152. Got down to about 151.5 at about 80 minuits so I stopped the mash. Got roughly 5.5 gallons of wort from the first run. Added 7 gallons of 190 deg water to batch sparge, got that seven plus a little more back.

So what do you guys come up with for my efficiency if you dont mind running the numbers?
My gravity readings came from a refractormeter.

86% seems kind of high for my first time. There wasnt an option for regular rice so I used flaked rice in the calculator.

Those numbers should not be different. You could have boiled over or lost some in hops and break material. I go with the fermenter volume. It's just easier to get more accurate volume numbers that way for me.

Once you have your boil volume and a gravity reading you can calculable your post boil gravity. It's just the gravity times the volume divided by the post boil volume.

Back