Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My wife also can't stand IPAs, except Bell's Two-Hearted. That's the only one she likes. Might be a place to start.

She'd probably like double IPAs then. Bell's is quite malty, it reminds me of Dogfish 90. Lots of people prefer double IPAs before standard IPAs because they're more balanced, then the palate wreckage commences.

+1 Your are not alone. Every time I taste a bitter beer I think of the old guy with the scrunched up face in Keystone's "Just say no to bitter-beer-face" commercials years ago.

Here's the original Keystone Bitter Beer Face commercial. The can should say IPA instead of BITTER BEER.

Last edited by a moderator:
bovineblitz said:
She'd probably like double IPAs then. Bell's is quite malty, it reminds me of Dogfish 90. Lots of people prefer double IPAs before standard IPAs because they're more balanced, then the palate wreckage commences.

I've had her try a few...90 min, Hopslam, I don't remember what else. Nothing else has appealed yet. Oh well, it's a start.

Maybe they shoulda played surfin' bird by the trashmen at that point of the commercial?! Reminded me of the guy on Ghoulardi...:rockin:

So, this isn't funny, just annoying:

I'm sitting at the bar waiting to order, and the guy next to me orders a bud light and a "lager." Yes, I know this means yuengling, but to me, it sound like the dumbest thing you could say at the bar, outside of "I'll take a liquor."

Had he come into the place I bartend, I would have told him to figure out what he wants then come back.

This one was slightly funny when it happened, but funnier later. Theres a distributor by me that sells mostly BMC and soda, but recently started selling some craftier beers and good imports. I never had Shiner bock so i grabbed a six pack and continued looking. The kid that works there says to his co worker "Yo dawg, have you ever tried Shiner bock? It's mad expensive, but that **** tastes just like michelob ultra". I almost put it back but figured everyone has their own tastes so i'll give it a shot. After tasting it when i got home, it became even funnier.

So, this isn't funny, just annoying:

I'm sitting at the bar waiting to order, and the guy next to me orders a bud light and a "lager." Yes, I know this means yuengling, but to me, it sound like the dumbest thing you could say at the bar, outside of "I'll take a liquor."

Had he come into the place I bartend, I would have told him to figure out what he wants then come back.

The fact that "Lager" means Yuengling in its home market is a credit to the fact that its so popular, its the default.

That might piss you off, but ignoring it or acting like its wrong just because its not your favorite seems silly.

"im not a fan of ales, I like porters and Stouts more."

Most people assume all ales are pales/IPAs. I just let comments like these roll off anymore because otherwise I end up going into a detailed rant on beer styles!:cross:

*edit* most BMC drinkers I mean

Someone I know found out I homebrewed and asked "Do you brew lagers or beers? I tried a lager once and didn't like it. I only like beer." then took another drink off his bud light.

The fact that "Lager" means Yuengling in its home market is a credit to the fact that its so popular, its the default.

That might piss you off, but ignoring it or acting like its wrong just because its not your favorite seems silly.

I've never seen or tried Yuengling, only heard about it here a couple times. I would assume "lager", in that situation, meant Samuel Adams Boston Lager. But what do I know.

It has nothing to do with not liking the beer (this is my go to beer in crappy bars), nor is it about being silly, and I wasn't even near it's home market. I'd give him the same answer if he'd asked for, I'll take a beer, I'll take a vodka, I'll take a pop, etc....

Don't want a stupid look when you order? Don't place a stupid order.

Keith66 said:
I've never seen or tried Yuengling, only heard about it here a couple times. I would assume "lager", in that situation, meant Samuel Adams Boston Lager. But what do I know.

I've never heard either referred to as just "lager ". Sam> Yeungling > Budweiser, in my opinion. I don't think Yeungling is a whole lot better than BMC...but I'll certainly drink it.

Ridire said:
I've never heard either referred to as just "lager ". Sam> Yeungling > Budweiser, in my opinion. I don't think Yeungling is a whole lot better than BMC...but I'll certainly drink it.

Here in Philly, you ask for a lager in your average neighborhood bar, that's what you get.

I've been hearing radio ads for Yeungling lately that say something like, "when you're at a bar, ask for a lager. You'll get a Yeungling" but if I ever tried that, I'm pretty sure I'd just get a blank stare or a BMC.

Just now went into liquor store ran into a buddy there. We were talking about different beers and how he didn't like bitter brews. This 60 year old lady walks by grabs a 30 pack of miller on her way back she says in a raspy pack of cigs a day voice "after 3 they all taste the same anyway"

I think some folks who don't know better refer to Yuengling as "lager" because of the tap handles and the fact they don't know enough to know that lager is a style of beer not a brand

190617480038.jpg

A coworker of mine did that when we were out grabbing a couple beers once after work ("Let me try the lay-ger there") I found it embarrassing but rather than doing the whole education thing I just clarified it for the bartender

I think some folks who don't know better refer to Yuengling as "lager" because of the tap handles and the fact they don't know enough to know that lager is a style of beer not a brand

A coworker of mine did that when we were out grabbing a couple beers once after work ("Let me try the lay-ger there") I found it embarrassing but rather than doing the whole education thing I just clarified it for the bartender

I think you're right about that. Hopefully one day they might realize that they sounded pretty silly going to a bar and saying, "Can I get myself a Lager?" With multiple taps of lagers. I love the typical, "Can I get the Two Hearted ALE? I don't like the other type of beers like your porter or stout." Servers at the restaurant I cook at do that stuff all the time, Two Hearted ALE. I have asked them what an Ale is before they know I was a homebrewer and a beer geek, they had not the slightest clue of what made a beer an ale or a lager. So I explained and they still don't have a clue. Haha its always a good laugh I suppose.

190617480038.jpg

It's also easier to pronounce after you've had a couple. :drunk:

Calling Yuengling Lager just "Lager" is a regional thing. It spread into the areas where Yuengling became popular, if not the preference for a lot of people.
I know because half of my family is from the PA coal regions, and practically grew up on the stuff.
It has been called just "Lager" since loooooooong before even BMC was BMC.

Calling it "Lager" is no sillier than people calling Pepsi or Coke "soda", "pop", or "soda pop."

Now that we've killed two pages on the matter...

You have to credit Yuengling's marketing department. 5 or 6 (maybe 8 or 10 the years seem to run together. ;)) years ago you never heard of Yuengling outside of their regional PA market. Now they are all over the place. Apparently they have been "Lager" in that area for years, now they are trying to market that all over the country. They have done a great job. They have ridden the "Merica! **** yeah!" "We're America's oldest brewery, blah blah blah sentiment well and almost everywhere you go, in addition to the standard BMCs, there is Yuengling on tap. I don't think it's anything special, but they have a lot of light lager drinkers thinking otherwise.

The thing about Yuengling is that its perfectly servicable. They have a product that you can guzzle along with a burger and fries, and I dont think there is anything wrong with that. I'm not sure it should be the go-to lager, however.

The thing about Yuengling is that its perfectly servicable. They have a product that you can guzzle along with a burger and fries, and I dont think there is anything wrong with that. I'm not sure it should be the go-to lager, however.

Agree and btw, I have no problem with them marketing it as "Lager". Really, what difference does it make?

It is a good strategy. To people that don't know any better, it is different. Being the generic lager is as good for business as Kleenex being the generic tissue.

Nothing more than smart branding.

mtnagel said:
Yeah, but when you go to a restaurant, do you order a "soda"? That is silly because you don't know what you are getting.

In Atlanta, the home of Coke-a-cola, ordering a "Coke" refers to anything carbonated. It could be root beer, lemon lime or orange. If you truly want a "Coke" you order a "coke cola".

In Atlanta, the home of Coke-a-cola, ordering a "Coke" refers to anything carbonated. It could be root beer, lemon lime or orange. If you truly want a "Coke" you order a "coke cola".

When I was a kid here in Southern CA, if you wanted a Pepsi or Coke at a restaurant, you just asked for "a coke" and people pretty much knew what you were talking about.

Same in Texas. You could have this conversation:

Me: I'd like a coke
Waiter: What kind?
Me: Dr. Pepper

Ah, the Lost City of Altanta

lcoa1.jpg

Growing up here in VA when at a restaurant regardless of whether you order a coke or pepsi, if they carried the other they would ask if the other was okay as that is what they carried. They assuemed either meant cola. now when I really wanted to mess with them I would ask for a RC or something non standard.

I kinda miss the clear colas. They tasted more like RC and in my opinion werent super sweet which I preferred.

CGVT said:
You have to credit Yuengling's marketing department. 5 or 6 (maybe 8 or 10 the years seem to run together. ;)) years ago you never heard of Yuengling outside of their regional PA market. Now they are all over the place.

Not here though...*sigh*

I really enjoyed it while I was in a region they had it about a month ago. I like it a lot more than BMC but they still had it on all the happy hour menus.

At a microbrewery tasting room a group of guys got their five 4-oz tasters and went to a barrel-table right in the sun and set them down and hung out for the afternoon drinking. It was a hot day too...

Just the other day I ran into a non craft beer drinker, he was a painter working in my building. He asked me about the giant bucket with the weird thing sticking out the top. He was cool and we talked about it for a while. He told me, "a buddy of mine tried that for a while but it sucked it was terrible and stank to high heaven but the **** got you ****ed up" hahaha I laughed my ass off. I told him my stuff would also mess you up but tasted a lot better. Then he asked me if it was more similar to Budweiser or Miller. hahaha

Just the other day I ran into a non craft beer drinker, he was a painter working in my building. He asked me about the giant bucket with the weird thing sticking out the top. He was cool and we talked about it for a while. He told me, "a buddy of mine tried that for a while but it sucked it was terrible and stank to high heaven but the **** got you ****ed up" hahaha I laughed my ass off. I told him my stuff would also mess you up but tasted a lot better. Then he asked me if it was more similar to Budweiser or Miller. hahaha

For some reason that reminded me of the Blues Brothers when they asked what kind of music the bar usually has. The response was, "oh, we have both kinds, country AND western".

Last edited by a moderator:
Back