Christmas Ale to Age

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sasky7777

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
This will be my second long term aging beer. It will be brewed in honour of my next child's birth, and just like the first one we will drink one starting at 14 and then every year after that until 21.

I am pretty sure this is what I intended to go with but just had a few questions on the amount of spices. Since this will be aged for quite a long time I increased the amounts knowing that they will fade. There doesn't seem to be any hard and fast rules, as I often see on the forum that "2 tsp of this was way too much" then the next person says they barely taste a spice at a certain amount.

A brew buddy of mine suggested 4 oz of Special B and subbing in Vanilla Bean, does anyone know the conversion rate? Any comments would be appreciated.

MASH
% LB OZ
93% 19 ~ Thomas Fawcett Maris Otter Malt
4% ~ 12 Briess Crystal 80L
2% ~ 8 Briess Crystal 120L
1% ~ 4 Briess Chocolate 350 L

single infusion mash @ 151F
1.113 OG
1.028 FG
23° SRM
Mash Efficiency
75 %
11% ABV

BOIL

Usage Time Amount Name AA IBU
first wort 90 min 2oz East Kent Goldings 5.0 23.6
boil 60 min 2oz Horizon 11.0 48.6
boil 1 min 1tsp Cinnamon, ground
boil 1 min ½tsp Ginger, ground
boil 1 min ½tsp Nutmeg, ground
boil 1 min 2tbsp Vanilla Extract

IBU 72.2
BU:GU 0.64
London Ale (1028)

I just came here to look for how much ginger to use in a christmas beer, so I'm in the same boat as you there.

I did a beer with vanilla extract added to the secondary a couple months ago. I added 1.5 tbsp and it was just what I wanted - subtle, not overwhelming. I had a 2-bean vanilla porter around the same time and I thought that was a bit much. 1 bean per 5 gallons seems best.

A little Special B is always nice, I would sub it for the C120.

I would use vanilla bean(s) instead of extract, unless you are making your own extract from Bourbon vanilla beans and vodka. The rest of your spices look good, but to be honest for a beer that will age for a minimum of 14 years there are probably few if any people who can tell you how the spices will age over that amount of time.

Back