Moving to Utah

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are a few out there. Do you ski? i suggest taking up skiing... nothing finer than SLC Champagne powder in the morning!

IIRC, homebrewing in Utah is illegal. But SLC is probably one of the top cities I'd like to live in.

Edit: Found it.

Utah statue §32A-8-101 prohibits a person from manufacturing any alcoholic beverage unless an alcoholic beverage manufacturing license has been issued by the state commission. Violation of this subsection is a class B misdemeanor.

http://www.beertown.org/statutes/utah.htm

It'll make it taste that much better that you're sticking your middle finger up to whoever passed that.

Nice, another B-town to SLC person. I'm down here at the U, born and raised in Boise.

I can show you a good brew shop, and introduce you to a couple people or a sixer of Stone :). Unfortunately, I don't know of a brew club. There was another thread, or a couple over the past few weeks where some SLCers have expressed interest in getting together. Maybe we could make one? I'll get the details on the one that already exists when I'm buying grains after Thanksgiving.

Do you ski per chance? What brings you down here?

z987k said:
IIRC, homebrewing in Utah is illegal. But SLC is probably one of the top cities I'd like to live in.

Edit: Found it.

http://www.beertown.org/statutes/utah.htm

It'll make it taste that much better that you're sticking your middle finger up to whoever passed that.

Yeah there is an island of sanity in SLC. Our new mayor actually is working for having normal liquor laws inside SL county. Apparently, alcohol is beneficial for the growth of a metropolitan area. :cross:

I saw that about 3 months after I started brewing down here, and got a little sketched. Then when I started talking to people I found out that it is really never enforced. I sure as **** don't put my address on my bottles though.

mrkristofo said:
Yeah there is an island of sanity in SLC. Our new mayor actually is working for having normal liquor laws inside SL county. Apparently, alcohol is beneficial for the growth of a metropolitan area. :cross:

I saw that about 3 months after I started brewing down here, and got a little sketched. Then when I started talking to people I found out that it is really never enforced. I sure as **** don't put my address on my bottles though.
Awesome hopefully by the time I have a choice in where I can live it will be changed.
(Not that I really have a problem with breaking laws I find stupid.)
Been to SCL 6 or 7 times now, all to ski and I just love the place. No where else in the country do you have a large city right next to what is it 10+ world class resorts. I really like a few resorts in CO and Jackson Hole is awesome, but they're in the middle of nowhere. Although Lake Tahoe is pretty awesome as well.

Jesse17 said:
Heck, I ah...."know someone" who used to live in SLC and he had to drive to Wyoming just to get 'real' beer. Not the 3.2 stuff sold there.

So did that 'guy you know' stop at the Porter's Liquor and Fireworks shop right past the WY border? Not that I would know about such things. . .

I lived in Utah for 10 years; 7 in Park City, and 3 in SLC. I will never ever live in that place ever again! They get months of 100+ heat in the summer, although the snow is nice in the winter. Then there's the predominant religion that I'd better not get into talking about, lest I get myself banned :p

I lived in Provo (aka Prozac, Utah) for 5 years. Brewed beer there for 5 years. Had a sticker on the kegerator in the garage that said "On the 8th Day, God Created Beer". My basement had 8 carboys filled with beer & apfelwein all just fermenting & aging.

It's not enforced and lot illegal right up to the time you pitch your yeast. I still would not do it in my driveway across of from the police department.

Latest posts

Back