Help Choosing Burner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfrizzell

Reaction score
I'm gearing up for AG and am looking for some input on a burner.

I scored a stainless kettle that would probably hold about 17 gallons. I'm just looking to do 5 gallon batches right now but I suppose I could do 10 gallon some day.

I am considering the Bayou SQ14 and the SP10 right now. I was leaning toward the SQ14, but I see that Home Depot has the SP10 for $29.76. That's the online price anyway - I still have to check if the store carries them. Otherwise I'd have to tack on another $20 to get free shipping online.

So, now I'm probably leaning toward the SP10 since it's higher output so it would get up to boil faster and would scale well if I do 10 gallons down the road. I'm not looking to spend a lot on the burner so I'm steering clear of the $70 burners.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Well, I called the local Home Depot and they don't carry the SP10 so I'd have to order it online. $29.67 looks like a great price - it's $42 at Amazon and Bayou Classic. I'm sure I can come up with a few odds and ends to order from Home Depot to get my total up to $49 to get the free shipping.

Anyone have an opinion about the SP10? :mug:

Back