New Toy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last edited by a moderator:
I used one of these the other day that my neighbor has, and I'm sold. :mug::mug:

Amazon.com: Max Burton 6000 1800-Watt Portable Induction Cooktop: Kitchen & Dining

Caution these will not work with most SS pots as the Induction element either stand alone like this one or built into to a stove cook top needs the vessel to be magnetic to work. We looked at these stoves earlier this year during a kitchen remodel but opted for a traditional smooth cook top versus induction due to the fact that we didn't want to switch out our entire cooking pots and pans to include my SS boil kettle. Use a magnet to check your pot to ensure it will work! Best of luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
How many gallons of water were you able to bring to a boil with it?

5 in this case, and it didn't take long. I know he has done up to ten and said it took about 20 minutes.

Caution these will not work with most SS pots as the Induction element either stand alone like this one or built into to a stove cook top needs the vessel to be magnetic to work. We looked at these stoves earlier this year during a kitchen remodel but opted for a traditional smooth cook top versus induction due to the fact that we didn't want to switch out our entire cooking pots and pans to include my SS boil kettle. Use a magnet to check your pot to ensure it will work! Best of luck.

I'm familiar with the technology, and my pots all work :mug:

It takes 7000 watts to raise 5 gal of water 100 degrees. 1800 isn't even close to that, and you will have temp loss as the element isn't submerged.

It takes 5000 watts to raise 5 gal of water from 150 to boil.

(This is in 10 minutes)

I have a 5500w element in my boil kettle and I assure you that you don't have enough power from that to boil that quickly. I am sure its quicker than a regular element though.

onthekeg said:
It takes 7000 watts to raise 5 gal of water 100 degrees. 1800 isn't even close to that, and you will have temp loss as the element isn't submerged.

It takes 5000 watts to raise 5 gal of water from 150 to boil.

(This is in 10 minutes)

I have a 5500w element in my boil kettle and I assure you that you don't have enough power from that to boil that quickly. I am sure its quicker than a regular element though.

From the time he turned it on till it began the boil was 12 minutes. I have a few burners I didn't really need this, but it was impressive. I imagine the speed comes from the heating being concentrated completely to the vessel but I'm not an expert.

Sent from my Galaxy S 4G using Home Brew Talk for Android

good luck too you. I've been contemplating going electric using the 3500 watt for the boil and a rims hooked to kegs turned upside down for sparg water and mash tun. rumor is that induction more than 95% effective.

rumor is that induction more than 95% effective.

no where near, you are thinking about immersion heating elements. try 50-60% for induction, if you get good coupling between the pot and the coil. less than 50% if you dont. so your 1800w induction burner has the same performance of a 900w water heating element, except twice as expensive to operate.

5 in this case, and it didn't take long. I know he has done up to ten and said it took about 20 minutes.

...i swear, the fish was THIS BIG! :drunk:

sorry but that is mathmatically impossible.

/shrug

I know how long it took man. His water may be like mine, where it comes out of the tap damn near boiling. It doesn't really matter to me, because I was there, and I dont care.

Can you set the temp on that model to what ever you like, or did it have pre-set temps? I have one at home, I can set it to 150, 190 and up to 375. I was thinking it might be good to set up a BIAB set up but Id be stuck with 150º mashes. I use it now for making inverted sugar, and candy syrup.

I don't have a big enough magnetic pot to try a boil on it, but its good to hear it was able to handle suck a big load.

Assuming
  • 1800 W, and it's all going into the water
  • Starting temp = 150 °F
  • 5 gallons
  • No heat lost to air through pot, evaporation, etc)
  • Boiling temp is 212 °F

Time to get to boil is 25 minutes. Boiling at altitude will be faster, but (more significantly) energy losses to air will slow it down.

Brickout said:
Curious, how do you find a pot to use for this?

The pot he uses is for sale along with it under suggested items. We tested mine and mine worked also. Mine is from a bit higher end turkey frier.

Sent from my Galaxy S 4G using Home Brew Talk for Android

Back