Warning signs of homebrew addiction

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm very Intrigued by the use of soaked wood chips. At what point in the process do you use them and for how long?

Finnigian said:
I'm very Intrigued by the use of soaked wood chips. At what point in the process do you use them and for how long?

at secondary, and however long you want, the longer it sits the more flavor it will impart.

I soaked 4oz of French medium toast oak chips in 5 jiggers of Beam's Black for the whole time the dark ale fermented. Then poured all through a hop sock into secondary,tied it off,& dropped it in. Racked bear on top of it for 8 days till it got pretty strong. Then primed & bottled. It took 9 weeks & 6 days for it to mature,then 2 weeks in the fridge to get a decent head & good carbonation. There's picks of my Whiskely Ale in my gallery.

unionrdr said:
I soaked 4oz of French medium toast oak chips in 5 jiggers of Beam's Black for the whole time the dark ale fermented. Then poured all through a hop sock into secondary,tied it off,& dropped it in. Racked bear on top of it for 8 days till it got pretty strong. Then primed & bottled. It took 9 weeks & 6 days for it to mature,then 2 weeks in the fridge to get a decent head & good carbonation. There's picks of my Whiskely Ale in my gallery.

You MUST be very proud.

Yeah,it was pretty tasty. My son hasn't really like a single one of my ales. Too strong,to hoppy,etc. I gave him 2 bottles that were some 15-16 weeks old,& had been in the fridge since week 10. He loved that one! I'm going to tweak it the next time I brew it. It needs a little more malt,& a couple jiggers less Bourbon. Then it'll be better balanced,imo.

You MUST be very proud.

he racked a bear, of course he's proud.

Sign of home brew addiction: kegs become a reasonable "impulse buy" even though you don't have any of the other necessities for kegging, carbing, chilling, or serving from kegs.

"All your home brew are belong to us!"

Sign of home brew addiction: kegs become a reasonable "impulse buy" even though you don't have any of the other necessities for kegging, carbing, chilling, or serving from kegs.

I tell myself they're investments!

Just bought my 3rd mini fridge off cl, cuz hey, for ten bucks, i'll find something to use it for. Also scoping out my 4th too. A Sanyo 4912 for 240 at walmart.com for my kegorator.

I walked passed an elderly man with a large backpack oxygen tank, and I wondered "Man where can I get one of those. My yeast would love it."

Sitting at this trendy wine bar for SWMBO's friend's birthday, I passed the time sipping my St. Benardus' Wit and thinking how I could use the funky vases to ferment 2-3gal trial batches... They'd both fit perfectly in my ferm fridge at the same time!

I walked passed an elderly man with a large backpack oxygen tank, and I wondered "Man where can I get one of those. My yeast would love it."

Sounds familiar. I tried to claim dibs on the O2 tanks SWMBOs grandmother had before she died recently. And then the nursing home decided to take them all back...

You stop buying Ninkasi beers because their labels are so damn hard to get off. Just kidding, I still buy it.

- Hoping to have a girl friend who likes my beer, so I can brew more often.

- Hoping to not have a girl friend, so I can continue brewing.

- Wanting to buy a high end expresso machine, so I can get a good head of crema.

- Thinking about the beer hobby all the time.

- So there was an earthquake.

- So there was another earthquake.

Just went and bought new appliances and asked the sales person how long the new stove would take to bring a 6 gallon batch up to boiling.

The corner of your garage where all the brew equipment is stored is perfectly organized, almost like a shrine........the rest of the garage, not so much.

... When the wife is constantly getting pissed and saying "This house is not a f*cking brewery!!". Then I think to myself "It obviously is, I just brewed beer didn't I? Look at all the beer gear we have around here".

Conversely,when you cleaned up the study & an old printer stand to put all your brewing gear in one corner. Then she realizes she likes your beers!:tank:

cl330b said:
... When the wife is constantly getting pissed and saying "This house is not a f*cking brewery!!". Then I think to myself "It obviously is, I just brewed beer didn't I? Look at all the beer gear we have around here".

Lol. We had the same conversation.

When you order a new sanyo 4912 online and your wife asks you "what're you gonna do with the other mini fridge?", and you dont know which of the other 3 shes talking about

Just went and bought new appliances and asked the sales person how long the new stove would take to bring a 6 gallon batch up to boiling.

You do realize that boiling on the stove is a gateway brewing drug right? Soon that little measly flame won't satisfy the hunger and it's all over.

Love it! Thats why I moved the brewery to the shop... cuz it is a brewery :ban:

Your addicted to home brew when you start kegging your hombrew just so your wife can't count all the bottle of beers you drank.

When you wake up in the middle of the night to swap frozen water bottles out in your lagering tub..

When you keep a flashlight on the nightstand so you can wake up in the middle of the night to check fermentation temp on the side of the bucket so you don't turn on the lights and wake everyone up...

When you open a loaf of German Rye bread and smell beer..

Dilligans said:
Your addicted to home brew when you start kegging your hombrew just so your wife can't count all the bottle of beers you drank.

+1 my brother!

While sitting of the can you go over new threads on hbt forum with your iPhone app.

As your pouring your cooled wort into the fermenter and getting ready to pitch the yeast , you look at your soon to be beer and pause.... Conjuring up thoughts of your next brew.

When you get off on bottling because you get all those aromas coming out of the bottles while filling. Aaah yes, a man & his beer...:tank:

When you're driving home and see a beat-up old wheelbarrow in somebody's construction truck with the letters WP-1550 on it and OBVIOUSLY yout first thought is "White Labs makes a 1550?! What am I missing out on?".... And it's a full mile before you realize there's not even an L in the stenciling because you're planning out possible test brews.

Your commercial beer preferences are based on ease of label removal and lack of screw caps on their bottles.

Latest posts

Back