Boston Area Craft Beer Bars?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scinerd3000

Reaction score
I'm headed to Boston tomorrow and have 4 hours to kill right outside Harpoon Brewery. Looking for some locals to tell me good places to go. Obviously harpoon is on my list but what else is around South Street Station that's worth checking out. I am taking the train up and have tons of time to kill before being picked up.... Ideas?

Cheers

Stick around until Monday and go see the hockey game haha. Other than that I have no advice. I've never been to boston. Just bored at work.

Depends on how fah you wanna travel and how much time ya got.

I know every decent beer bah within about a 25 mile radius of South Station... (where I commute in and out of every workday)

four hours to kill... hmmm....

"lookin' for a decent beer or two without a ton of work" option close to South Station is probably Kinsale in Govt Center. It is a solid 10 minute walk if you know where you're going.

another 5 minute walk from Kinsale and you can hit Boston Beer Works on Canal Street over by North Station.

If you're looking to get in a cab... three places I would recommend are:

Publick House: Belgian beer heaven, somewhat upscale, kinda pricey, bit of a cab ride
Deep Ellum: Hole in the wall hipster place, still reasonably nice, fantastic beer list
Bukowski: Hole in the wall hipster dive bah, resonably priced, great beer list, cash only

If you're gonna go as far as Deep Ellum I would recommend going a few blocks further down the street to Sunset/Big City.

I would check out Cambridge Brewing Co. They had some pretty good beers when i was there. Just a short ride on the red line T (if I remember correctly) from south station and your there.

To each his own. I'm just saying they have a huge beer selection and for a non Boston native isn't a bad place to check out.

CBC is a great place... it's a brewery as opposed to a beer bar (but then again so is Boston Beer Works... but Beer works is walking distance).

CBC is a bit of a distance by cab but not much longer than Publick. I THINK Deep Ellum and Bukowski would be a shorter cab ride.

Although... if you want to hit CBC, you could hit Lord Hobo as well which is about a block away. That's a GREAT place. Actually... that might be my final suggestion. Hop in a cab to CBC, spend an hour or two there, and then walk over to Lord Hobo.

... and apologies on Sunset. I despise the place and whenever "beer bars in Boston" comes up, Sunset gets thrown out immediately. Yes, they have a huge beer selection (115 taps or something like that and 350 bottles). The problem is every time I, or anyone in any of the homebrew clubs I know, have gone in there, almost every beer on tap is a diacytil bomb because the lines haven't been cleaned in forever. All of the beers are served in pint glasses at at the exact same temp. Yes, they have a ton of beers, but that doesn't mean a ton of good beers. I see Sunset as a margarita and fajita bar that has decided to push a gimmic of having a million beers as well. Uur club does the occasional pub-crawl through Boston and we hit 6 or 7 bars... Sunset gets skipped every time.

Sorry again... I don't be to be a jerk about it... I just hate that place and would never send someone there.

Newest place for on tap microbrews is Meadhall in Cambridge. Lord Hobo's is right nearby as well. You can Google them.

Also check out Publick House in Brookline (on the Green line). Its a great place especially if you like Belgian Beer but even if you don't...

And yeah, I think there are still tickets online for the Craft Brew Festival.

I wouldn't drink at Sunset for free.

It's great at lunchtime. The bartender there is awesome, she really loves her beer and will give you like 8 samples even if you only order 2 beers. I don't like going any other time though. Deep Ellum is way better for dinner.

I've never had issues with diacetyl there and I'm crazy sensitive to it.

My favorite places are in Cambridge, specifically Cambridge Brewing Company and Lord Hobo. They're basically right next to each other. Meadhall is supposed to be good but I haven't been there yet. IMO CBC is the best that the area has to offer, it's one of the country's oldest brewpubs.

I'm not too familiar with stuff near South Station, as far as I know though there's nothing decent down there.

Bukowski's is okay, I go to the Cambridge one pretty often. Beer prices are a bit high, anything specialty is pretty much a total ripoff. Food prices are pretty bad too except for the Buk burger which is a $2 real actual burger, an extra $1 for cheese and $1 for fries... it's not on the menu and you can only get it before 8pm on weekdays, including fridays. The only reason I go to Bukowski's is because of the Buk burger, the beer prices are just too high to justify it unless I get some sort of deal on the food. The beer selection is usually pretty good though.

I always hit the Bukowski's by Fenway and have always had great experiences.

Maybe I'll give Sunset another shot sometime. Maybe they've changed. Only issue is, if I'm hiking it over thst way, I'm going to Deep Ellum.

for the record more interested in either dives or something with an awesome tap/bottle list. Not looking to pay out the nose but good beer is worth a little cab ride. Plus I have legs....Walking or public transit will work :) Is Sunset really that bad- looked them up and had mucho mixed reviews. Lord Hobo's looks awesome!

Thats not right. I have lunch at Bukowski's on occasion during the week.

I was talking about Publik. Bukowski's is most likly where ill be going although harpoon has tours at 2 and 4 so maybe ill hit that up first...Have you been? is it worth it

Slightly off original topic: I too will be at the beerfest and am looking for a place to eat and have a good brew within walking distance of the trade center; any suggestions?

I went on the Harpoon tour. It was fun, interesting and the people are nice. And just as important, they let you hang out afterwards and drink samples to your hearts content (included many varieties). I have heard mention that they don't always like it if you stay too long but I was there until after the tour following ours came back to the tasting room. They said nothing to us and gave no hint for us to leave.

I'd check the Cambridge brewing tap list online before goin there. Occasionally their rotating selection is just plain weird. Their standard beers are good though. I'd put lord hobo at the top of the list. Food is better than meadhall, and IMHO better (although smaller) selection of beer.

P.d.

I'd check the Cambridge brewing tap list online before goin there. Occasionally their rotating selection is just plain weird. Their standard beers are good though. I'd put lord hobo at the top of the list. Food is better than meadhall, and IMHO better (although smaller) selection of beer.

P.d.

They have Flower Child right now, it's their tribute to Ithaca Flower Power. It's awesome. I also looooove the grisette. The Citra Tripel I was a little disappointed with cuz I saw citra and expected hoppy... it's a good belgian tho. Red God is awesome too.

http://cambridgebrewing.com/beer/seasonal/

Ok. They may very well be. I've been to Sunset at least a half a dozen times and have never had a good "beer experience" there and that seems pretty consistant with beer nerds I know.

Maybe we all caught them on am off night, maybe we're all stupid or maye they've just recently gotten a lot better. I can't give you a good explanation.

Bukowski's fo' lunch, a house pale and a Lagunitas Fusion III. Now at The Other Side for a Lost Abbey Red Barn.

Slightly off original topic: I too will be at the beerfest and am looking for a place to eat and have a good brew within walking distance of the trade center; any suggestions?

Come on guys....you totally dropped the ball on this thread.

I'll semi-second what has been said - the Cambridge Brewing Company is fantastic. It is the best brew pub I have even been to, period. Food is really good quality. They have some standard pub beers, but the flip side of the menu is really creative barrel aged / Imperial stuff. The beer garden is a great touch if it is nice out. The only problem - it is on the freaking opposite side of the city from the convention center, and would take three subway transfers to get to. Make that its own leg of the trip, and don't try to squeeze it in around the fest.

Also, I did the Harpoon openhouse once, but unless it changed format, they only offer one true "tour" a week - I think it is Saturday mornings, and is reservation only. They do have times that they open the gift shop for an open house (which is what we did), and agreeing with what was said, they will not ask you to leave. They have at least a dozen beers on tap, and the employees will explain each one as you go. But then they just keep pouring. My wife and I had to basically flip our glasses and call the quits. However, that open house is pretty ridgidly scheduled - I remember going like 3-5PM on a Tuesday. Harpoon might not work, but it is worth a shot.

So to answer the question, you need somewhere to eat before/after your session at the conference (I would aim for eating before). You want good, reasonably priced food, and a really good local draft selection. You also want to walk from restaurant to fest. The answer is the Barking Crab.
The pictures make it look crowded, but I've never been unable to get my choice of bar stool or high top. But it is really a "dump the seafood on newspaper and eat with your hands" kind of place.

http://www.barkingcrab.com/content/boston.html

I wouldn't call it a dive, but it is certainly casual and low key. I've been there 3 times, and loved it each time. My wife and I always eat outside, and I suggest you do the same. Grab some oysters and a crab cake sandwich, have a few pints of the multiple offerings from Sam Adams, Harpoon, Cape Ann, whatever, and walk over to the fest. It is about a 5 minute walk, and it is a straight shot down the side walk, so no fear of getting lost. From the city, just hop on an outbound Grey line (I think it was grey/silver - it is the underground bus - I was drunk). Get off at the first stop, face the water, and look left (you are basically looking at down town Boston). You can see the Barking Crab, and will know it by the Yellow/Red awning. To get to the Convention Center, just walk back down the sidewalk the way you came from (away from downtown Boston). I followed that advice last year when I attended the festival, and would strongly suggest others do the same.

So some more free advice about the festival (because I think that is where the OP was going anyway).

Don't cross the consumption line before you even get to the fest, because the breweries in attendance bring it strong. It is nice if you can remember what you tasted. Attendees hit heavy with RIS, IIPA's, and Belgian style stuff. It'll catch up with you, and fries your taste buds pretty quickly. I have heard to pick a style and stick with it - probably not a bad idea. Aside from that, I was talking to another member who confirmed the Maine Brewing Company is attending this year. They are a brand new Nano from Portland, ME, and I believe located on the same street as Allagash and Geary's. Find them - they will blow you away. Simply unlike anything else getting made in New England. They could make Stone jealous with their careless hopping rates. And if someone seems to be forming a big line, get on it early. It may be smart to visit DFH, Pretty Things, etc., as soon as the doors open. You start finding youself on a mile lone line and asking everyone around you; "I never heard of these people, is this stuff even any good?" More than likely, yes, yes it is.

Have fun everyone,
Joe

Totally disagree with the "CBC is far away" sentiment. It is almost a dead straight shot by cab, through the Financial District and down Memorial Drive. That's a ten minute cab ride.

Barking Crab?? Sure... Boston institution even but not a beer destination by any stretch.

Here is there draft and bottle list:

Draft:
Barking Crab White Ale - (Boston, MA) $5.25 / $18.50
Sam Adams Lager - (Boston, MA) $5.25 / $18.50
Kona Longboard - (Portsmouth, NH) $5.25 / $18.50
Sankaty Light - (Nantucket, MA) $5.25 / $18.50
Harpoon IPA - (Boston, MA) $5.25 / $18.50
Harpoon Seasonal - (Boston, MA) $5.25 / $18.50
Widmer Hefeweizen - (Portsmouth, NH) $5.25 / $18.50
Longtrail Ale - (Bridgewater Corners, Vermont) $5.25 / $18.50
Seasonal Selections - Ask your server what we've tapped today!

Bottles & Cans:
Budweiser - $4
Bud Light - $4
Corona - $5.25
Michelob Ultra - $4
Guinness (14.9oz. can) - $6
Magner's Cider - $4
Sapporo (22oz. can) - $7.25
Narragansett Lager (16oz. can) - $4.25
Heineken (16oz. Aluminum Bottle) - $6

I am sorry, but I have navigated from the World Trade to the Back Bay, it is not simple. A taxi can get you anywhere, but CBC is literally in a different city. I made the trip from the fest back to the Charlesmark Hotel (located right across the street from the Prudential Center), and it was a trek. Crossing into Cambridge on top of that is only harder. Like I said, get to the CBC, but don't do it back to back with the beer fest. CBC is my number one suggestion for a trip to Boston, but would be one of my last suggestions for someone looking for lunch before they walk into the fest.

Plug the two locations it into google maps. It is a 14 minute drive, and all that stuff in the middle of the two locations is the city of Boston.

And I agree, the draft list at Barking Crab is far from exotic (which I why I put local in bold text), but you are about to walk into a beer festival with 200+ different taps. How much of a selection do you need for lunch? Give me 2 pints of something fresh, local, and well handled, and I would be sent happily on my way to the conference.

That said, if you are given enough time, certainly work the trip to CBC into your weekend. It is a really easy pit stop to make before you even get into Boston, and that is usually how I play it. But if you are getting dropped off in front of the World Trade Expo Center, I think it is just way too far.

Take the red line to Kendall, that puts you 5min away from CBC. Google map the WTC and turn on transit lines to see. Kendall is just across the river.

(nodding in agreement).

CBC is bot THAT far away from South Station and, in my view, is worth the "14" minute cab ride.

South Station... Shoor up to Washington St, left on State, right on Cambridge and it is a straight shot over the bridge into Cambridge.

Yes, it is "in another city" but a total of about 500 yards over the line.

(shaking head no)

Is CBC worth a cab ride? Certainly! That is a different conversation.

In the meantime, I'll attach a detailed map of Boston, and note the landmarks in question. I am sorry if the map looks dark, but it is the best I can do. I'll let the people attending the fest decide what looks like an easier option.

Joe

MAP.jpg

Back