How to convert 5gal batch to 1gal batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BOATSnHOES

Reaction score
Alright, so I'm trying to make a list and perfect some brews in order to start my pipeline. I don't want to have to waste time and space with 50 bottles worth of brew that isn't right, however. Is there an easy way to convert 5 or 6 gal recipes to 1 gal recipes?

You can do this on beersmith fairly easy but you would need A 1.5 to 2 gallon bucket to ferment in as I hear minimizing headspace in the fermenter is ideal but some will say it doesn't matter.

I never thought about splitting this in 1G batches, but if I had to do it, I would split before adding hops, once your wort is ready (after extracting or steeping + adding extract). But I am not sure you will be able to keep the wort like this for a long time.

You can do this on beersmith fairly easy but you would need A 1.5 to 2 gallon bucket to ferment in as I hear minimizing headspace in the fermenter is ideal but some will say it doesn't matter.

I actually picked up a 2 gallon carboy from a friend of mine a couple of days ago. I got the idea of trying 1gal batches after a saw this little guy. Could be a good way to quickly/easily try different recipes.

Yeah I totally agree with the idea.. Nothing sucks more than yearning for that 5 gallon batch for a month just to try it and find it's not what was expected.

Back