Spice, Herb, or Vegetable Beer Double Chocolate Oatmeal Snout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is that a typo??

Nope

11928d1246656338-double-chocolate-oatmeal-snout-oatmeal-snout.jpg

I racked it to secondary on Sunday. OMG!!! The hydro sample (even without any vanilla yet) was amazing! I can't wait for a snowstorm, so I can sit in the hot tub with a couple bottles of this! :D

Oh, this is a great winter beer. Thick and filling with just a hint of warming when it's young. Good for after dinner by the fire.

I'm going to do another test pour of mine tonight. :) I'm really trying to wait until Christmas to start sharing this with friends because I know it will go quick.
Chshre - You already have about 5 great compliments from my wife and other beer loving friends of mine. They tried to give them to me but I told them I would have to pass them on to you since it's your recipe. Thanks again for sharing it.

I'm going to do another test pour of mine tonight. :) I'm really trying to wait until Christmas to start sharing this with friends because I know it will go quick.
Chshre - You already have about 5 great compliments from my wife and other beer loving friends of mine. They tried to give them to me but I told them I would have to pass them on to you since it's your recipe. Thanks again for sharing it.

Hey, it's a team effort there. Recipe is only half. Brewing process is a big part of the deal too!

Carbed this today. Awesome! Really good. I actually did something different. Soaked vanilla bean in half a bottle of brandy and added this to secondary for a week-would have used bourbon if I had it. However, the flavors really melded with this one and the brandy really worked. Drinkable now, but want to let sit in kegerator for a few more weeks to clean up a little bit more.

Wow - so my keg of this floated in 1 week. :D Um yeah, my peeps liked it a lot. Next time I'll do 10 gallons.

Josiah: :mug:

Toga: Works for me!

I've been thinking about playing around with this recipe. There's plenty of directions I could go. Add some espresso, maybe.

Or pump it up into a big beer. Like a big, chocolate winter warmer. Not that it's small beer now, but kick the OG up another 20-30 points and then cellar it. Maybe brew in the spring and then break it out in the dead of winter.

Then there's the cherry possibilities. :D

OK, I am in! Brewed this up yesterday and it's bubbling away in the primary now. Since it was such a high grain bill for a partial mash, I used about .75 G of water to 'sparge' the grain bag. Basically just dunked grain bag after removing from my boiling pot, then added that water back to the main pot before the boil. Starting water volume was really 5.75 G, with at least .5-.75 G lost to evap and to the grain. My s.g. was 1.065.

As it was sitting in the water for the 'sparge', I realized that I could likely make a smaller beer out of the second runnings. Not having any spare yeast/hops, I decided not to-- but may try this next time around. I wonder if anyone's tried?

Also, Chshre...forgot to ask....

Second line of the recipe calls for S-05, however ingredient list calls for S-04. I wound up using S-04...but just wanted to clarify. I am sure one is a typo, but which one? ;-)

Also, Chshre...forgot to ask....

Second line of the recipe calls for S-05, however ingredient list calls for S-04. I wound up using S-04...but just wanted to clarify. I am sure one is a typo, but which one? ;-)

Yeah, someone noticed that right off the bat, but I can't edit that part of the recipe post. I used S-04, but S-05 would be good too, just a little different in flavor profile.

I would love to try this but had a couple of quick questions. I like bitter but i like sweet a little better i would LOVE to add lactose to it just to sweeten it up a little (i will be adding vanilla) but my girlfriend is lactose intolerant and i dont want to make something she cant drink while i rub it in her face. Does anyone know of a way to sweeten it up a little bit? I perfer youngs double chocolate stout to genise if that helps with my tastes.

Could try to add some crystal malts. Or try something like splenda or stevia at bottling time. maybe back off a little on the cocoa.

is it the coaco that makes it bitter? if so could i replace it with nesquik? or chocolate syrup?

is it the coaco that makes it bitter? if so could i replace it with nesquik? or chocolate syrup?

I wouldn't. That stuff has lots of other ingredients you don't want. Besides, the sweetness of those come from sugar, which would ferment out, and you'd just end up with bitter again. Better to just go wtih fat-free cocoa and some sort of sweetener that's not fermentable.

My batch has been in the bottle just over 3 weeks now. I popped one open this past weekend. Heard that promising little "pfft", but the beer was still flat. :(

Tasted mighty fine, though. ;) I just hope I can wait til it carbs up properly.

The chocolate mellowed down quite a bit, but it's still there. Still tasty, but not quite the chocobomb that it is just a few weeks after carbing.

well I'm in the process of getting the ingredients to this brew together. as soon as i have an empty carboy! :D

it will be my first partial mash too, so i hope everything turns out ok. thanks for the recipe.

I just picked up my cocoa for a batch of this I'm going to brew now so it'll have a little time before NHC. Almost couldn't find it!

Here's what I use if anyone wants to look for it locally. The only fat free cocoa powder I've found. http://www.carbsmart.com/wondercocoa.html

Psychedelic: This is a pretty big partial mash for a first. I'm sure it'll be fine though. Almost like starting out all-grain. heheh

Nah, there's a lot going on in this beer. Makes it pretty forgiving. You can screw it up and while it won't taste the same, it should still be pretty good.

Finally got to brew this one again myself. Had to put the brew off for a week due to my daughter getting in a fight with a car and ending up in the hospital, but it's in the fermenter now and I'm happily awaiting the fermentation faeries to start their work! This one is earmarked for NHC!

Just transferred this to secondary and I kept having to restrain myself from submerging my face in the ale pail while I was racking.

I have never done secondary fermentation. Do you actually double ferment it or is it just more time for it to sit? and also we are doing a 10 gallon batch and we have a 6 gallon bucket for fermentation and a 5 gallon glass carboy. would it be terrible if we just left it fermenting for the total time in the single container?

The secondary is only for two things. Extra time to clear and time for it to sit on the vanilla bean.

Well, that and how I get sloppy when I siphon, so it lets whatever gets sucked up from the yeast cake settle out. :D

If you want, just split and scrape the vanilla bean and throw it in the primary after 3 weeks and leave it another 7 days.

Well, I must say that I really enjoy this beer. It's a big hit with the non-beer drinking crowd too. My only real change was to use standard Hershey's cocoa powder from the baking aisle as I couldn't find any fat free stuff. It has .5g fat per serving, and didn't seem to affect my head retention at all. Mine pours with a nice thick head that dissipates about halfway through the beer.

Very nice concoction! I will DEFINATELY be making this again, next time as an AG.

Hi everyone. Im a new brewer and wanted to try out my first partial with this recipe. I think I might of done something wrong because my OG was only 1.029. I thought I was doing everything okay because beersmith was giving me a OG of 1.055 when I punched in all the ingredients. Heres what I used.

4.4lb dark DME
1.10lb Oat flakes
1lb Caramel malt
.75 Chocolate malt
.5 Roasted barley
2 oz Fuggles
2 grams of Irish moss
7 oz cocoa powder

Used a few cheese cloth bags to wrap the oats and barley up and put it in about 7L(1.8G) water at 150F for one hour. Sparged it in about 2L of water for 10 minutes. Added the two worts together. Then added my 2Kg of DME just before boil. Brought to a rolling boil and added the hops and boiled it for an hour. Last ten minutes of boil added the Irish moss and cocoa. Cooled and topped off the primary to 23L(5G) then added yeast from a coopers stout can I had.

If anyone can point out where I went wrong that would be great. Did I not use enough water on the steep/mash and there fore didnt get enough convertion?
Or was I to lite on the DME.

If I was a bit lite on the DME can I still add some more. I have kilogram of Amber DME I could still throw in there. Could I just boil it in 1L of water, cool it down and then toss it in the primary. I pitched the yeast last night and this morning the airlock is already bubbling away.

Thanks for any help in advance. This sounds like an awesome recipe and I was really looking forward to a thick chocolate stout.

Well, to start with, you didn't mash because you left out the pale malt. You didn't have anything with the enzymes to convert starch to sugar. You steeped your grain. It's not a partial mash unless you include some base malt in there.

Just boiling 4.4lbs of DME and hitting 5 gallons of volume will give you an OG of 1.039

Thanks Chshrecat. Ill need to get some base malts for my next brew. So does that mean this brew is fubar? Would the grains that I used still give me the flavor Im looking for? And should I go ahead and still add the amber dme? Not sure If I should keep going with this or just toss it and try again.

I'd let it go as it is. I'm thinking that your low OG was due to getting a thin sample after you topped up. It's hard to get the wort and top up water totally mixed and you can often get a sample that's higher or lower. If the grains were milled, you should still get some flavor from them. Not sure if the oats did anything for you though.

Hey,

I'm trying this recipe tomorow, looks fantastic.

However, concerning the oatmeal, do I have to cook it like Palmer says in his ''how to brew'' or I just put it in the mash uncooked?

Thanks,

JC

That depends on what kind of oats you got. If you have flaked oats from the homebrew shop, they can just go right in the mash as they are. They're pre-gelatinized.

Back