Ranco Single Stage Won't Power Up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrShake

Reaction score
I know this is a long shot, but....

I had a Ranco running my Keezer, worked perfectly. When we had some water in our basement, we unpluged it to move it out, and since have replaced the keezer with a craigslist keg cooler and taps. The old keezer is now out in the garage, hasn't been plugged in yet.

I brewed last night and went to put the fermenter in the keezer to control ferm temps and the Ranco now won't power on at all. Nothing on the display, keezer never powers on.

I disassembled and re-wired the ranco last night in an attempt to fix it, but it still never powers up. Anyone have any thoughts? Anyone have a spare ranco they want to give me a good price on?

One think to check if you didn't already is the lockout switch inside the unit. Mine got jarred out of postion once. In this situation it still powered up though, but you could check it anyhow.

Go through and re-verify your wiring again and also make sure that there is actually power in the garage (no tripped breakers, GFCI, etc...)

I know, mostly common sense but sometimes it's the obvious crap that is the problem.

I looked for a fuse, didn't see one, but I'll check the manual online... I hope thats the case!!!

Oh, and MckBrew, I checked for power.. if I plug the keezer straight in, she turns on...

Isn't there a 20a fuse inside the case? I'm going on memory from the last time I had mine opened up.

I think you are right. Couldn't find a good schematic on line to check and I can't take mine apart from work. :)

Good Call.

So, I didn't get a chance to open her back up yesterday, but I did look at a couple of sites that go through step-by-step in wiring them. I know its wired right, and I don't see a fuse.....

It looks like I'm on the hook for a new Ranco... grrrr

Well, I checked voltage, the cord is fine. So, I pulled the board to see if there was a fuse or anything underneath and discovered the problem. It appears that during our water situation, the controller must have gotten wet. Rust and corrosion all over. I tried cleaning it to no avail. Oh well, I've got 2 dorm fridges up for sale to pay for the new controller.

Back