Rectangular vs Round cooler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gonefishing

Someday I'll stop procrastinating
Reaction score
Is there really a big enough difference in these so that I should not use one of the many rectangular coolers I've gotten over the years? I have a 3 gallon round, which I intend to use for small batches, but would rather spend any $$ I might have for ingredients for bigger batches, not on another cooler.

There's nothing wrong with rectangular coolers. If you have one that will hold the heat in, then use it! 3 gallons is a very small mash tun.

I have been using a 5 gallon round igloo water cooler. It has been difficult at times to keep a consistent mash temperature which is very important. The round coolers give one advantage and that is that it provides a deep grain bed but because it is deep it is difficult to start with a consistent temperature throughout the mash. The rectangular are easier to get a consistent temperature. I am building a manifold for a 48 quart rectangular cooler today.:ban:

The round coolers remain to be popular with those who fly sparge because (1) they readily accept off-the-shelf false bottoms, rotating sparge arms, etc., (2) they don't have corners at the bottom, which makes for more even lautering (especially with a false bottom), and (3) they are tall and cylindrical, which makes for a deep grain bed.

These benefits are generally of much less importance to batch spargers. The only (minor) benefits are that I find that the round coolers are a wee bit easier to stir, because there are no corners (possibly offset if you have a big, deep grainbed, however), and they are consistently well insulated (you have to shop carefully for well-insulated rectangular coolers as some are pathetic).

One big advantage of rectangular coolers is that they are the only ones readily available above 10 gals in volume. They also come in a wider range of sizes and shapes than round ones.

One big advantage of rectangular coolers is that they are the only ones readily available above 10 gals in volume. They also come in a wider range of sizes and shapes than round ones.

I've had good luck finding the 10 gallon round coolers at Ace hardware stores, or order online from Ace (approx $49.00 w free shipping I think). Also Home Depot had them recently marked down under $40.00 (probably means they are not going to carry them anymore). I think Sam's has the 5 Gallon round coolers for around $13.00. I don't know why I like the round ones, I just do.. :)

I think the rectangular will be significantly less expensive.

round ones are better to maintain heat because there is less surface area, but are much harder to stir and get a smooth grain bed. also 3 gal is not nearly big enough for a good five gal batch. i personally had a 5 gal round cooler that i ditched in favor of a 52 qt rectangular. i am very satisfied. it is a coleman xtreme if anyone cares and loses 1 degree over an hour if preheated.

I use a rectangle one and it works great. Ever since i read the thread about a false bottom breaking with all the weight i have kind of gone away from the round ones

round ones are better to maintain heat because there is less surface area, but are much harder to stir and get a smooth grain bed. also 3 gal is not nearly big enough for a good five gal batch. i personally had a 5 gal round cooler that i ditched in favor of a 52 qt rectangular. i am very satisfied. it is a coleman xtreme if anyone cares and loses 1 degree over an hour if preheated.

Good call on the Coleman xtreme. Very well insulated with little temerature loss and almost no deadspace.

I use the square blue Igloo 12.5 gallon with a CPVC manifold and I loose 1-2 degrees over the hour and average 82-85% efficiency. So round or square should do you fine.

also dont waste your time with a false bottom, just make a manifold or shell out the $25 for a bazooka screen; they work wonders.

Round, square, rectangle makes not much difference on this scale. The most important thing is insolation, or you will be making lots of decoction mashes. That and a good false bottom that draws from the entire bottom. I prefer stainless braided hose.

I have used both a braid and manifold and I can tell you in My setup the manifold is far superior in its function.
Please explain. Are you batch or fly sparging? Were you getting a stuck or slow lauter with the braid? Getting husks through the braid? What were the differences?

Please explain. Are you batch or fly sparging? Were you getting a stuck or slow lauter with the braid? Getting husks through the braid? What were the differences?

Yeah, same questions here. I know more than a few batch spargers who switched from manifold t.op braid after getting stuck runoffs with the manifold. The runoff from the braid also clears more quickly. Braid can also work really well for fly sparging, but you can't just use it in a straight line like you do for fly sparging.

I've been using a braided line for many years and the only time I've had a stuck sparge was when I made a pumpkin ale. (I forgot to add rice hulls to that gelatinous mess)
I also do a very slow sparge as well, around two hours.

i used to use a braid but after one use it was virtually destroyed and then the second time i used it my mash was stuck, so that ended the braid for me. the $25 i spent on the bazooka was wonderful. i have not had an issue yet and it is incredibly durable, and very easy to clean.

What makes the Bazooka superior to a braid ? They look similar in design ..

Wouldn't the bazooka collapse as easily as the braid, given a large grain bill ?

I had a bad experience with my former braid, whose location is currently unknown after being flung into the nearby woods..

the braid is flimsier once you remove the inner tubing. the bazooka is heavy duty and maintains is poistion and shape under heavy pressure. but people have been using braids with plenty of sucess it just didnt work out for me.

If you get the right braid, it won't collapse. Toilet supply line has always worked great for me. My main cooler has been used for over 300 batches with the same braid, and up to 30 lb. of grain. It's a bit beaten up, but still works great and has never clogged or collapsed.

I have a rectangular cooler and it works great. I will see a small temp drop when doing smaller beer, but I am willing to trade that with the ability to fit enough grain for 10 gallons of a medium gravity beer. I have been using my big, rectangular Rubbermaid cooler with a SS braid for over a year and have never had any mash related problems.

As far as the braids go....
For you that have had trouble with the braids, make sure you have been getting the SS braids. The ones made of plastic will not work very well and it can be very difficult to tell that they are plastic. The store-brand toilet supply lines at HD have plastic braids, you will have to chose the safety flow kind for SS. The store-brand lines at Lowes are SS.

I have both. I bought the 10 Gal AG cooler setup, and tried to batch sparge with it and needless to say it was a disaster. I got the Coleman Xtreme 70qt with the Bazooka screen and it is awesome. I have done 3 batches so far and have hit my efficiency almost dead on

If you get the right braid, it won't collapse. Toilet supply line has always worked great for me. My main cooler has been used for over 300 batches with the same braid, and up to 30 lb. of grain. It's a bit beaten up, but still works great and has never clogged or collapsed.

I cut a piece of tubing into a helix and shoved it back into my braid. I then attached the tubing to the barb so the braid won't twist (had that happen too). I have had absolutely no problems with stuck sparges since.

Bazooka is a lot more coarse of a screen. SS braid is more flexible, so do not hit it with your paddle or spoon and you will be fine. One will never be superior to the other, they both work and both do a great job. If you had a lot of problems with one and the other works for you good for you but most likely the problem stood between the shoe and the kettle.

Back