Worth buying off craigslist?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mysteryberto

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Someone from my local area has hops that they think are cascade. It's $20 for a five gallon bucket. Does anyone have a guess what this would work out to be dry weight?

I saw the same CL ad and posted it here (not the first one). Take a look at what David_42 says about how much hops are left when you dry.

I'm going to estimate that you could fit about 4 1/2 pounds of wet hops in a bucket. After drying, that might net you just over 2 pounds. Could be a deal at $10.00 per pound.

(Here's how I did the math)

I picked approx. 1/4 of a primary fermenter bucket. That's 1/4 of the volume. I weighed that on my scale and the bucket plus hops weighed 54.2 oz. The bucket alone weighed 32 or 34 oz. (I can't remember). So lets say 20 oz. of wet hops. I dried those to what I felt was the proper moisture content and came up with about 7 oz. of dried hops. That's a reduction of 65% of weight. Which, if what I have read is correct, is about where you would be with properly dried hops with the right moisture content.
Or I could just be full of crap.

I checked the other thread and at 1.25 oz per gallon of bucket it's simply not worth my time to drive 50 minutes each way. Not when I can easily get hops with a measured AA vacuum sealed and ready to brew cheaper.

Thanks for the help.

Thanks for the info. That saves me the drive and money :)
It also makes me think I'll have to plant alot more hops

Back