Cantillon in Maryland

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DraconianHand

nudge, nudge, wink, wink
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone know if Cantillon beers can be found in Maryland? If so, any leads?

RateBeer indicates that they are available in MD, but don't indicate any zip codes or area codes I recognize as being in MD.

I am looking to use the dregs for a gueuze.

While I cannot confirm Cantillon, I do know that there are 2 very nice beer stores in the general Towson/Hunt Valley area that are known to have Gueze and Lambic and a good selecton of non-BMC beer.

Check out Belway Fine Wine & Liquors near Towson, MD.

Also check out Shawan Liquors in Hunt Valley, MD.

I've been to them both and they have a good selection of all sorts of beer to blow your monthly budget. I would bring some $$ and stock up if you have to drive all this way. Luckily, they are only about 10 minutes apart, so you can hit both!

Stateline is a bit of a haul for me, but I will definitely keep it in mind the next time I head N on 95.

I might make a trip out ot Shawan and Beltway this weekend.

My credit card is sore already.

Drac:

Are you going to 98EXL's place for brew day? If so, I may be able to stop in between now and then and see what they have, and possibly even pickup and bring some down to the fest. I can't guarantee it, but if you find yourself unable to make it up this way, send me a PM and I'll give it a shot.

Jezter,

I'll be there on the 23rd, but I think I will be making a road trip to Beltway, Shawan and Corridor (in Laurel, 198 @295) this Saturday. If you think you will be going out there on Saturday, perhaps we can meetup.

Pretty funny story...... we were over in Belgium at Cantillion, and were having a hard time finding Lou Pepe at the brewery or surrounding shops. We came home and walked into State Line one day, and there it is staring us in the face. :eek:

It is a great store and I'm lucky to work close by there. They are even doing growlers now of some of the harder to get beers.

Did you check with Corridor in Laurel? If they don't have any, they may be able to order some for you.

There is also Chevy Chase Wine and Liquor, but they're technically in DC.

It could be worse. You could be stuck in Montgomery County. Land of the county run beer suppliers :(.

I live in Howard, so things aren't bad, but I work in Montgomery so I understand.

Actually, I ordered some throught King's Contrivance Liquor Shop in Columbia...my parents live nearby. I had to get a case, so I figure I will drink one, lay some down and perhaps bring one to share to the MD Big Brew Day on the 23rd.

DraconianHand said:
I live in Howard, so things aren't bad, but I work in Montgomery so I understand.

Actually, I ordered some throught King's Contrivance Liquor Shop in Columbia...my parents live nearby. I had to get a case, so I figure I will drink one, lay some down and perhaps bring one to share to the MD Big Brew Day on the 23rd.

hey Drac There's a liquor store I went to recently in HoCo. It's at Rt 1 and Montgomery rd. Really great selection. Close to you to check out. It might be called Cindy's??? or something like that. There's also Wells at Balto city county line on York rd in Towson. Charlie

balto charlie said:
hey Drac There's a liquor store I went to recently in HoCo. It's at Rt 1 and Montgomery rd. Really great selection. Close to you to check out. It might be called Cindy's??? or something like that.

Yeah, Charlie, I know the place. I live about a half mile as the crow flies from it. I haven't been there in a while since last timeI was their the selection of exotic stuff was a bit lacking. They did have some microbrew stuff, but the last time I was there it wasn't anything super. I'll have to stop by again and check it out.

A couple of good bottle stores in MD:

Ye Olde Liquor Shoppe (Frederick) - good selection, good prices
Corridor (Laurel) - incredible selection
Allview Liquours (Columbia)

Has Allview's selection improved? I used to live on Dorsey Hall Dr right across the street and when I lived there is was so so. Some micros, but that's about it. The nice thing about Corridor is that you can build your own 6 pack.

They have a shelf in the corner where they carry a selection of 750ml Belgians, craftbeer and some of the more expensive 12 oz (ie, DFH) beers.

Columbia Liquors in Columbia (off Shaker Drive) has a decent selection. They have a walkin cooler in the back with all the crafts & exotics. They even have a make your own 6er. The manager indicated that they are looking to expand their selection of beer in the future.

DraconianHand said:
Yeah, Charlie, I know the place. I live about a half mile as the crow flies from it. I haven't been there in a while since last timeI was their the selection of exotic stuff was a bit lacking. They did have some microbrew stuff, but the last time I was there it wasn't anything super. I'll have to stop by again and check it out.

It's got everything in Catonsville beat. I don't remember how exotic but does have a large microbrew selection. Don't know what it brings from across the pond. We must live near each other, I'm off Frederick rd.
Wells on York road is still my favorite. Always has something new coming in the door. They also have a "beer guy". My parents live 1/2 block from Wells.
Here's a site w/ some great stores
http://www.beerquest1k.com/Best Beer Retailers.html

Wow. That state line place, I need to take a road trip. Orval @$60 a case. It is $90 here. $60 I *might* consider...

Fulll report:

State Line Liquors is just about the most awesome place on the whole planet of Maryland. From the outside, it looks like ANY OTHER run down redneck out in the woods liquor store (in fact, there is a liquor store right across the street and they look the same, I almost pulled into the wrong one).

Looks out of the way, you walk into heaven. It doesnt look like it's got high end stuff, but on the ratty old shelves lies PURE GOLD in the bottle. I know, cuz I saw some Goldshlager. :)

Anywho, selection wise - this place is downright great for imports, less so for micros. There's a 'decent' selection of micros (I finally got Double Bastard in the 22), mostly regional though with the exception of the big names (STone, Rogue).

As for international, it's like a country by country tour of Europe and beyond. There's a shelf of the asian brews, a shelf of Russian/Lithuanian brews, 2 shelves of German brews. Another shelf of mead and cider. Then a long ass hall that covers Brit and Belgium. Belgium being one of the largest selections.

Edit: My description of 'shelves' may be a bit different than most. I'm talking shelving UNIT. 4 shelves in height and approximately 4' in length. Deep enough to store 6-7 16oz bottles.The Belgian section alone was probably 25+ feet long... < now back to our relgularly scheduled review >

Yes, I saw (and bought) Cantillon. I saw at least 6-10 different breweries of Kriek, Geuze, and Lambic. I bought about half of them. :p The K,G,L section (segregated from the rest of the Belgians) was almost as big as the entire Germany section.

I bought a case of Lithuanian beer (plus another 8-10 bottles of other lithuanians) for my dad, and a bunch of belgians for myself.

If you sign up for the free membership (obviously a ploy to get your email address), you get 10% off singles. So I was happy. Between me and my roommate, we were easily over $150 and only beacuse I kept restraint after spending so much on my beer for my father.

So yeah, major thumbs up. I will likely make that trip monthly as it's about 35-45 minutes from my place.

Wow, sounds pretty sweep.

My plans for a beer roadtrip didn't pan out this weekend. I had to go over to a buddies house to pick up a 6er of Maui Brewing Companys CoCoNuT Porter. He picked it up for me while he was in Hawaii for business. This took up the only free time I had this weekend.

I never said I was giving it to him...I just said I didn't have enough money in my wallet to continue to purchase beer for myself. :p

His birthday is in a few months, so I will be getting him a few cases of his favorite beer that can't be found in his neck of the woods.

damn, that is about 1.5 hours from me....I'll have to wait until I am in De or NJ next till I go there

Latest posts

Back