My attempt to fine with gelatin didn't work?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MVKTR2

Reaction score
Per the very common instructions available in several threads throughout HBT I took 3/4 of 1 packet of clear/plain gelatin, put it in 1 cup cold water and let it bloom for about 30 minutes. I then heated the gelatin-water till all the gelatin was disolved.

I began my transfer of 4 gallons of cider to a secondary better bottle, pouring the gelatin mix into the secondary allowing the turbulance of the transfering cider to mix it.

The cider has been in my fridge for 7 days at approx 33 degrees.

The result is a cider which continues to be very cloudy and appears to not have changed at all! What gives? What do I need to do?

How about that.
Apparently it is finally working. Just went and checked it (last checked before the sun was up yesterday AM) and there is a clear line of demarcation where the yeast is falling out. So other than now looking like a fool it's good news!

How about that.
Apparently it is finally working. Just went and checked it (last checked before the sun was up yesterday AM) and there is a clear line of demarcation where the yeast is falling out. So other than now looking like a fool it's good news!

That could just be due to the effect of cold crashing. I would have left it out of the fridge for a few days to let the gelatin work its magic. Immediately putting it in the fridge makes it precipitate out before it can do that.

I always fine with gelatin in the keg after cold crashing. I only fine if the beer is not at the clarity I want after kegged and carbonated. If it is still too hazy I'll de-pressurize, open the keg, pour in the cup of gelatin mixture, give it 48 hours, pull off 2 super mucky dirty pints, and the rest will be clear. Works like a champ everytime I've tried.

I always thought you were supposed to use it after you cold crashed? Am I wrong in doing it like this? I've had fairly good results with this method. What I really need to work on is my patience. My kegs don't last long at all lol.

I checked 3 threads before doing this and they all said to chill then fine. For the record I had chilled this for about a week before adding the fining, hoping the chill would drop the yeast which was a hefe yeast. Additionally this was a cider not a beer so maybe that and the hefe yeast account for the long time it took for this to drop.

Latest posts

Back