Knox Gelatin to clear?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

debkid

Reaction score
I heard that you can use knox gelatin to clear beer/cider in the secondary..
Any instructions?

Deb

Gelatin, or gelatine, for the British crowd, is used for fining, much like other products like isinglass. The idea being that these things will grab suspended proteins and sediment out. What I do not know is if you need to treat them in any special way or what... you'd hate to make beer Jell-o.... or rather, hate to make it unintenionally!

I use bulk gelatin. 15grams for 5 US gal.

Boil water,remove from heat, add gelatin, stirring till disolved, throw in carboy. Give carboy a slight swirl.

MUCH cheaper than buying gelatin from spangals, etc.

Isinglass finings are cheap, and apparently much better (I used it for my first few batches, but don't bother now; I'm only worrying about taste at the moment, not appearance).

A few dollars should get you enough isinglass to fine 5-6 brews.

Bentonite is also a very good clearing agent. Not made from fish either, which is a bonus.

isinglas can be tricky to prepare.

There's also Kieselsol & Chitosan.

Some finings are positively charged, others negitive. They pull out dif things and can be used with each other, though best to add at diff times.

Denny's Brew said:
isinglas can be tricky to prepare.

Mine was in a little bottle. You mixed a couple of teaspoons worth with a cup of brew, then poured the whole lot back into the fermenter.

I didn't make it from the fish myself!!
:D

Latest posts

Back