About AB InBev trying to take over beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thedude00

Reaction score
Found this surfing the web thought you guy may think its interesting

Earlier this year, I told you about a financial analyst’s pipe dream involving the sale of immovable object, SABMiller, to irresistible force, AB InBev. Well, it now appears as if SABMiller isn’t quite is immovable as we might have thought. The speculation of a few Credit Suisse analysts has gone from a “theoretical” whisper to a “might-actually-happen” full-throated roar.

The $80 billion deal would be the biggest cash deal…well…ever. It would involve the largest corporation in a highly profitable industry purchasing the second largest corporation in said industry and gaining entry into new markets while controlling the lion’s share of production of an immensely popular commodity. It would create an absolute behemoth…an impossibly wealthy, impossibly influential, impossibly massive beer empire that could essentially do whatever it wants. So am I worried?

Not at all.

Before we get to the ramifications of this deal for our beloved craft beer industry, let’s discuss the nuts and bolts of the deal. Check out my earlier post on this story to get a sense of how AB InBev operates. If you don’t feel like making the effort to click on that link *, allow me to summarize:

*I know…your finger is tired from picking your nose/playing Gears of War 3/changing the channel in disgust after watching yet another Red Sox loss.

AB InBev is a corporation that lives and breathes mega-deals. InBev (sans Anheuser-Busch) was formed in 2004 during a gargantuan merger between Belgium’s Interbrew (which, in turn, was born when Belgium’s two largest breweries, Artois and Piedboeuf, merged in 1987) and Brazil’s AmBev (which itself was created when Brazil’s two largest breweries, Antarctica and Brahma, merged in 1999). Four years later, InBev, then the largest brewery on Earth, bought up Anheuser-Busch, the second largest. The trend is fairly obvious here…every few years, the brain-trust at AmBev/InBev/AB InBev decides that they’re bored and need to buy out their biggest competition. This should come as no surprise to anyone that follows the business world. The Brazilians who helm the company are consummate deal-makers and, by all accounts, are exceptionally talented at such acquisitions. The pay down debt quickly, wring out incredible cost savings, and put themselves into position for the next deal much more rapidly than industry experts predict. Furthermore, they’re an enormous public company that has, for the most part, saturated every market they’ve entered. With global beer sales flat, AB InBev needs to come up with SOME way to increase their shareholder’s earnings…and that means buying up the competition. This plan has worked wonders for them and it would certainly work again in this case.

There are a few hurdles that need to be cleared for this deal to come to pass. First is the matter of AB InBev’s debt. They still owe massive amounts of capital thanks to their acquisition of Anheuser-Busch. But, as noted, they’ve done a remarkable job of paying down that debt in just three short years. Carlos Brito, AB InBev’s CEO, has noted that this mega-deal won’t be possible until the company’s debt to EBITDA ratio falls below 2. For those of you whose eyes glaze over when you see financial jargon like that, “debt to EBITDA ratio” is a fairly common metric that basically divides a company’s incurred debt by its EBITDA which is “Earnings Before Interest, Taxes, Depreciation, and Amortization”. It’s a rough way of measuring when a company will be able to pay off its debt (or of determining the probability that a company will default on its debt).* AB InBev’s debt to EBITDA ratio fell from 3.7 to 2.9 last year and Brito believes it will drop below 2 sometime next year. When that happens, this deal becomes a distinct possibility.

*I knew that year working in capital management wasn’t a total waste!

There’s another issue at stake, and that’s a legal one. In most of the world, this deal wouldn’t be a problem…but in the US and China, the anti-trust lawyers are already sharpening their knives. If AB InBev bought SABMiller as it currently exists, the new super-company would own about 80% of the American beer industry. That falls squarely into the “monopoly” category and the US government isn’t keen on handing over any red, plastic hotels right now…particularly to a company headquartered overseas. The same is true in China where SABMiller owns a 49% stake in CR Snow, the largest brewery in the country. AB InBev already has a substantial presence in China and their control of CR Snow would be too much for Chinese authorities.

These two obstacles are eminently solvable, however. In the US, SABMiller and MolsonCoors (two former, bitter rivals) formed a joint venture called MillerCoors in 2007 in order to survive against the Anheuser-Busch marketing machine. That joint venture expires in 2013, and at that time, SABMiller could simply sell their domestic stake of Miller (and thus, their 30% control of the US market) to their current partners at MolsonCoors. So while SABMiller would still own the Miller brand elsewhere in the world, domestically Miller would become the first of the former “Big Three” to be swallowed up by one of its competitors. You’d still see Miller on the shelves, of course, but, in essence, the Big Three would now be a Big Two…Coors and Bud (aka MolsonCoors and AB InBev). By relinquishing control of the American market, SABMiller would eliminate the concerns of anti-trust lawyers. The same could easily happen in China where SABMiller would simply have to sell their shares of CR Snow. With those two smaller deals done, there would be no more hurdles in the way of AB InBev’s acquisition of its biggest rival.

Whew…you got all that? It’s complicated and, frankly, a little overwhelming. On the surface, it seems like THE biggest story in the beer world. I mean…Bud buying Miller?! And Miller giving up their American market to Coors?! That’s crazy-talk! But the truth is, this kind of stuff happens all the time (though admittedly not at this scale) when companies enter the world of international finance and never-ending M&A deals. You can’t think of those companies as “Bud, Miller, and Coors…All-American beer!” anymore. Now it’s AB InBev, SABMiller, and MolsonCoors…three monstrous corporate behemoths helmed in Brussels, London, and Montreal respectively. So if you ignore the “nostalgia” angle, you’ll realize that this is just business.

The bigger question, as far as the Aleheads are concerned, is what this means for craft beer. You might think the tiny Davids would be quaking in their boots at the thought of the evil AB InBev Goliath growing even fatter and richer. But pay close attention to this quote from the article:

“SABMiller is attractive to AB InBev due to the London-listed brewer’s large operations in the high-growth emerging markets of Africa, South America and eastern Europe which will help AB InBev reduce its reliance on the tough U.S. beer market.”

And why, do you suppose, the US beer market is so “tough” for AB InBev? Sure, beer consumption in general has declined a bit in the US, but not enough to explain why sales of Budweiser have dropped 30% in recent years. No, the blame/kudos goes squarely to the craft beer segment of the industry which has seen a meteoric rise even as overall beer sales have stagnated. With American craft growing by double digits every year, AB InBev is scrambling to come up with ways to compete against the little guys in a US market that provides over 90% of the company’s earnings. They’ve cut production/distribution deals with companies like RedHook and Kona and earlier this year they snapped up Goose Island lock, stock and barrel. The problem is that Aleheads everywhere have seen through these transparent ruses and have vowed to eschew former craft breweries that have the stench of AB InBev on them (I, for one, haven’t consumed a drop of Goose Island since the deal went through in March). In other words, those in-roads into the craft beer world may look good on paper for AB InBev, but they’re simply not going to make up for the losses that the company is facing.

"http://aleheads.com/"

The best way for AB InBev to counter their flagging sales in America is to grow their brand elsewhere. If they focus on parts of the world where craft beer isn’t a threat, they can presumably make up for their declining earnings in the US. Unfortunately, many of those markets are dominated by SABMiller brands so gaining a foothold in them could be exceedingly difficult. So what’s the largest, richest brewing corporation in the world to do? Oh right…buy SABMiller and take over those new markets the easy way. Since AB InBev likes making major deals almost as much as they like making tasteless, watery beer, that possibility seems to be closer and closer to coming to fruition.*

*Note: There’s one other little wrinkle to this story. SABMiller is finalizing a deal to purchase Foster’s, the Australian brewing giant, for $10 billion. This really shouldn’t slow down the deal by more than a few months, but it does make SABMiller a much more valuable company which means, presumably, that the deal would be quite a bit more expensive for AB InBev than it would have been had SABMiller remained Foster’s-free. Despite the potential price hike, it would give AB InBev a huge chunk of the Australian beer market, which presumably, actually makes SABMiller even MORE desirable**

**”Foster’s…it’s Australian for lipstick on a pig.”

If you look at it from this perspective, you realize that the AB InBev/SABMiller deal really isn’t about becoming an even larger company so as to crush the nascent craft beer industry. AB InBev is already large enough to swallow up every craft brewer in America if they really wanted to. The deal, to me at least, is more about AB InBev realizing that they CAN’T compete with craft beer here in the US. In my mind, you might as well consider the macros and the craft world to be two wholly separate industries at this point (and, if you ever conduct a head-to-head tasting between a Bud Light and a Bruery Rugbrød, it becomes pretty easy to think of those two products as apples and oranges). No matter what AB InBev does, the stigma of their products precludes them from gaining a foothold amongst craft drinkers. Even if they made a serious, concerted effort into brewing a legitimately tasty, all-malt product, Aleheads the world over would still ignore them. They simply can’t win at that game. So why bother? Instead, AB InBev is focusing on buying their chief competition in a segment of the industry that they understand better than anyone. A segment where marketing, PR, and brand recognition utterly trump the actual product being sold.

So no, I’m not worried. Yes, it’s a big deal in the brewing world. And yes, if this actually occurs in a few years, AB InBev will truly be the undisputed King of Beer. But I don’t see this as having any real bearing on the world of craft. AB InBev has always been the 600-pound gorilla in the industry. What difference does it make if they control SABMiller’s brands in the rest of the world? Hell, even if AB InBev bought up SABMiller in its entirety and DIDN’T have to relinquish SAB’s American market share, I’m not sure it would have any effect on craft. Beer drinkers today aren’t debating between Bud or Bell’s…Miller or Moylan’s. They’re either craft drinkers, or they’re not. It’s a binary beer world, and the AB InBev/SABMiller deal simply reduces controlling interests on one side of the equation.

Ah, but there may be ONE lasting consequence of this deal for Aleheads everywhere…and that’s a positive one. What happens when AB InBev devours its last, true competitor? What happens after they’ve bought up their largest competitor, paid down their debt, seen growth in some new markets…and then realized that their bottom line is stagnating once more? What happens when the company finally…FINALLY accepts that their failings in recent years aren’t because of high expenses or bad management, but because of producing an inferior product? Well, by then it will be too late. Craft beer will have become the dominant force in American brewing. We’ll have returned to the way it was before Prohibition, when there were hundreds upon hundreds of local and regional brewers making high-quality, all-malt brews. The endless variety, complexity, and innovation of the craft industry will be the law of the land and AB InBev will be on the outside looking in. It may take many years…decades in fact. But the seeds are being planted today.

With this deal, AB InBev will have conquered its rival. But when there are no more world’s left to conquer, what then? The unwieldy, cumbersome giant will have to rage against the upstart brewers who will continue to nibble away at the behemoth’s bottom line. Craft may not have AB InBev’s deep pockets or marketing clout, but they have an insurmountable edge in the one thing that actually matters…the beer.

It may seem counter-intuitive, and it may take a good, long while…but if this deal occurs…if this unprecedented victory for AB InBev actually comes to pass, it will eventually lead to something the company has never before faced.

Failure.

Go for it AB InBev. Grab that brass ring. And when you realize that there are no more rings left to grab, the rest of us will be sitting around the carousel, drinking our DIPAs and Saisons and watching you spin out of control and into oblivion.

You will not be missed.

http://aleheads.com/

AB will always be around. Even when there aren't any more buyouts to be made, they'll still market their product just as hard as ever. I wouldn't be surprised at all if they start attacking craft beer. Will people listen?

Have the patrons of the BMC-loaded bar right down the street punched out multiple business' windows in the past month?

There's always idiots out there who will believe anything, and if they're told Bud Light is the best beer in the world, then it damn well must be.

Craft beer will grow even bigger, but light American lagers will always have their place in people's hearts who dislike taste.

If they buy up my two local micro brew pubs, (soon to be three), and my homebrew, plus all the still independent brews available. I will get on the bandwagon.

A/B is owned by in bev, If you have any complaints don't attack A/B. Contact in bev. Your foreign supplier for A/B

"Antarctica and Brahma". Funny that inbev left brazil to brew the worst most watery beer in the first world after getting kicked around brazil for a few decades by Schincariol who apparently won a lot of market share by making the beer colder, and more watery, and with good marketing. Antarctica and Brahma seem to be the #2 and #3 in terms of quality in Brazil by my memory. All the beer I've ever found in brazil are lagers or very sweet dark beers (not stouts, but dark and sweet - kinda nice but too sweet).

Well I for one would love to live in that utopia, but the reality is otherwise. Sure, AB InBev - let's just call them AB to make things easy - is suffering from flagging domestic sales and looks to take a bigger bite of the global market. But they aren't just going to roll over and die. This is a big, giant, successful corporation with lots of demanding shareholders, and more importantly deep deep pockets (read: tax revenue and political contributions).

Remember that idiot in Alabama or whatever the hell state it is down there who defended his position against craft brew lovers saying about Bud that it "drink pretty good, don't it?"?

And remember, that despite what you were taught in school and despite your political leanings, I'm not trying to get off-topic or turn this into a political debate, but we are evolving more into a corporatocracy than democracy (or democratic republic). Don't believe for a second that this mammoth of a firm doesn't have both the ability and will to use their bank vaults to influence laws to their benefit. Believe me, with the right PR behind them, it would not be hard to slowly revert to a landscape where craft brewers are rare. Just make it hard to enter the market for new craft brewers, and increase the pressure and taxes on existing ones. Wouldn't take long. Not that politicians are corrupt or anything.

Good article but I disagree with the conclusion. If you're a big corporation you don't have to bust into a market by brewing the same low-volume low-margin brews. If this conglomerate is as big as represented, it will be the largest single purchaser of raw materials (hops, malt) in the world. With revenue/acre for barley already lower than other crops (here in the US you make money growing corn, not barley...), it's a valid path for AB InBev to sign even more exclusive purchase agreements with growers/maltsters (which will be used since AB InBev is apparently going after some of the BRICs markets and other emerging economies). So what happens to craft brewers when they can no longer get raw material for their products because AB InBev is vertically integrated....?

Just more reasons to brew my own and not buy BMC products.

+1 Bmorebrew
+1 Goaltender

Vertical integration and political pressure can still be brought to bear on craft brewers.

I would add also, that most craft brew drinkers do not "boycott" the companies making BMC so much as simply choose to drink better beer. Therefore, if the big boy(s) continue buying up craft breweries and the locals continue to make a decent brew after being acquired, people will continue to buy it. Period.

This world where craft beer drinkers are united in economic opposition to particular corporations is a fiction.

Glad you guys like our site. I think Brother Barley made a very good argument, although Goaltender raises an interesting point about raw materials. We shall have to see. But by all means, subscribe to the site--I don't know of a lot of other beer blogs that offer in-depth op-ed analysis of such things, or at least analysis based on fact.

- Kid Carboy Jr.

Yes said " Found this surfing the web thought you guy may think its interesting"

When you copy something wholesale that someone else created without giving any credit to the creator, you are STEALING THEIR WORK. You are also violating their copyright which is against the law.

When you copy something wholesale that someone else created without giving any credit to the creator, you are STEALING THEIR WORK. You are also violating their copyright which is against the law.

Frist of all never tried to take credit for this, never said this is what i wrote. I was on my cell easer for me to copy the story and past it was not able to copy the link. "Found this surfing the web thought you guy may think its interesting" did say anything that i wrote this. You right it is against the law to " take credit or make a profit off of a copy right item. Didnt do either. Plus on this article there is no copy right stamp. Just wanted to share some thing i enjoyed reading.

I think the strength of the well written article allowed us to forget dude00's first line. I didn't think he was trying to take credit at all. But I do admit being caught up in the article and then forgetting the very first sentence. Too many other sentences to think about as I read!

Thanks dude00 for bringing the article to our attention.

I'm going to subscribe to Aleheads. I found lots more good articles there, and never even knew it existed until now. I suggest ya'll take a look. Seems like a good place to develop more craft brew ideas. And I especially like the article on St. Louis brew pubs - my home town!

The power of several large brewing groups has more or less closed the market for craft brewers in France (and several other European nations). Virtually all beer available in bars comes from one of three companies (at an exorbitantly high price). Carlsburg group, InBev and Heineken completely dominate the market by getting bar owners to sign exclusive agreements.

Why would the owners agree to do this? Each of these companies has a group which specializes in providing loans, legal advice and other services to prospective bar owners. If you sign the a deal with one of the three bland devils you get access to these substantial resources at the price of only carrying their beers. While I tend to agree that the likelihood of this happening in the US market is slim, they are preventing the growth and birth of countless craft brewers outside of the US.

Yeah, take it easy guys, a link got posted eventually. We don't care. This is coming both from:

A: A writer for that site, and
B: A professional print journalist.

I think it will be okay.

- Kid Carboy Jr.

Carlsburg group, InBev and Heineken completely dominate the market ... Each of these companies has a group which specializes in providing loans, legal advice and other services to prospective bar owners.

This is an phenom. Wasn't aware it was occurring and, personally, don't think it is all that far fetched from happening here. Sounds more like something that would have fostered itself under our own system. Heck, I had a friend who got a beer distributorship from AB (back in the day) that was completely exclusive. Territories were set. No one could buy AB beer from anyone else in that territory. Who's to say this model couldn't evolve similar to the French model, with a slow start to certain "perks" and with eventual control due to owner's needing the "assistance".

My point is that we should be cognizant of possibilities and stay politically active. Not what hoembrewers want, but if, as Kid carboy points out in his article, the market share is only so big and craft beer is the only segment growing, you either control craft beer or you shut them out.

Hey, I don't care to be calling my senator, but if my passion is going to be stepped on, then I'm going to not only call but I'll knock on his door.

Why would the owners agree to do this? Each of these companies has a group which specializes in providing loans, legal advice and other services to prospective bar owners. If you sign the a deal with one of the three bland devils you get access to these substantial resources at the price of only carrying their beers.

This has been happening in England for years

the article claims that the massive 30% loss of domestic sales stems from craft beer. we would all love this to be true, but rudimentary math proves it to be incorrect. 30% of AB sales is 25% more sales than craft beer currently scores.
this is due to the propensity of decent cheap wine. there is one beverage that has enjoyed far more growth in the last twenty years than craft beer, and that is wine.
personally, i love them both and am happy. i have tasty beer/dry cider for during the day early evening, then wine after dark. perfect.
i don't give a poop what the BMC's do, as long as they keep as many of my neighbors employed as they can. hot summer day, sitting in a fishing boat, the only thing going is my belly is busch beer.

The power of several large brewing groups has more or less closed the market for craft brewers in France (and several other European nations). Virtually all beer available in bars comes from one of three companies (at an exorbitantly high price). Carlsburg group, InBev and Heineken completely dominate the market by getting bar owners to sign exclusive agreements.

Why would the owners agree to do this? Each of these companies has a group which specializes in providing loans, legal advice and other services to prospective bar owners. If you sign the a deal with one of the three bland devils you get access to these substantial resources at the price of only carrying their beers. While I tend to agree that the likelihood of this happening in the US market is slim, they are preventing the growth and birth of countless craft brewers outside of the US.

Isn't this illegal in the U.S.? Isn't that the definition of a tied house?

This is an phenom. Wasn't aware it was occurring and, personally, don't think it is all that far fetched from happening here.

It DOES happen here. If you are opening a bar, InBev will be more than happy to set you up with a draft system free of charge, provided you sign a contract guaranteeing to serve their products.

No, the blame/kudos goes squarely to the craft beer segment of the industry which has seen a meteoric rise even as overall beer sales have stagnated.

I've never really understood this analogy. Don't meteors FALL from the sky in rapid DESCENT? Buzzword bingo, all of it. :ban:

No, the blame/kudos goes squarely to the craft beer segment of the industry which has seen a meteoric rise even as overall beer sales have stagnated.

I've never really understood this analogy. Don't meteors FALL from the sky in rapid DESCENT? Buzzword bingo, all of it. :ban:

Zixxer10R said:

They also fly from one end of the sky to the other in a brilliant flash if you see a meteor shower. Meteoric is the speed and energy, rise is the direction.

They also fly from one end of the sky to the other in a brilliant flash if you see a meteor shower. Meteoric is the speed and energy, rise is the direction.

well said. what's that quote about the candle that burns the brightest?

First Fig
by Edna St. Vincent Millay

My candle burns at both ends;
It will not last the night;
But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends—
It gives a lovely light.

I knew I'd get to use my English degree eventually.

I even named a beer after the second part of the poem which is also delightful:

Second Fig
by Edna St. Vincent Millay

Safe upon the solid rock the ugly houses stand:
Come and see my shining palace built upon the sand!

Back