My Keezer - Collar Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wayfarer

Reaction score
So after bottling for a few batches, I elected to start kegging. I now bottle a 12 pack of each batch, kegging the remainder. I went through the forums and decided that I would like the option of up to 8 kegs and bought the Frigidaire 14.8 cu ft freezer to begin with. Installed it with a Johnson digital temp controller. Finally put together the finances after the holidays to install the collar and taps.

I went through dozens of diy collar builds to find one that would work for me. My goal was to maintain the integrity of the original freezer without drilling or modifying it if possible. I came up with a design that has a 1x10 that slips over the outside of the freezer with 1x8 wood and handcut 1" insulation that sits on the top of the freezer. I had to go with the 1x10 in order to mount the hinges (9" long) without redrilling into the back of the freezer.

I preordered most of the materials and built it up over last weekend. I am pleased with the outcome and decided to share some of the photos taken during the building.

The only parts that I still need to wrap up are the installation of a stout tap and finishing up the dual regulator to feed the second C02 manifold. I didn't have the funds for now to drop another $250ish for the tap, tank and regulator for one tap.

2345-1x8-inner-box-rests-top-freezer.jpg

Inner box that rests on top of the freezer.

2346-1x10-mitered-outer-box-added-glued-nailed.jpg

Mitered outer 1x10 attached.

2347-assembling-outer-frame-overlaps-top-freezer-tight-fitting-seal.jpg

Assembling the outer boards, these fit tightly over the freezer with a 2" lip that slides down the outside of the freezer creating a nice seal.

2351-pilot-holes-shanks.jpg

Drilled pilot holes for the shanks.

2352-drilled-2-1-4-holes-into-insulation-allow-room-tighten-shanks-up-wood.jpg

Oversized holes drilled in the insulation to allow the shanks to butt up against the lumber.

2353-everything-ready-glue-up.jpg

Everything assembled and glued.

2355-everything-glued-up-ready-finishing-touches-before-painting.jpg

All set for final touches before painting. I filled the nail holes and touched up the mitered corners.

2354-drilled-out-back-2-c02-feeds.jpg

Rear view with holes drilled for CO2.

2356-view-painted-front.jpg

Painted front view.

2357-rear-view-painted-collar.jpg

Painted rear view. Holes all set for CO2 and temperature probe.

More pictures

2358-all-hardware-7-taps-8-shanks-ready-installation.jpg

All the hardware to install 8 shanks and 7 taps.

2359-inside-view-completed-installation.jpg

Inside view of the completed project.

2360-got-homebrew.jpg

Side view of completed installation.

2361-finished-collar-7-8-taps-ready-use.jpg

Frontal View of the installed and operational collar.

That's some great work! Nice job.

What are you using as a dripcatch under the faucets?

Haha, I went with an inexpensive solution for the drip trays. For the sizing that I needed, it would have cost upwards of $75 or so per tray. So I went with 14" stainless steel mud trays purchased at the hardware store. I attached them with magnets salvaged from hard drives. Total cost under $30.

FAK... only paying members can see photos hosted from a HBT gallery

so no photos for me as well.

-=Jason=-

How well does your lid seal to the collar? Did you have any trouble aligning the lid hinges, etc. to ensure that the lid closed well on the wooden collar? Additionally, did you add some sort of weather stripping to the collar to help it seal?

Curious . . .

@ Aunt_Ester - ClaudiusB was correct, originally the intent was to set up a stout faucet. I can fit 8 five gallon kegs in the freezer and I considered making one mixed gas. I rarely drink stouts though so it has since ended up being my seasonal rotator with a standard tap.

@ sonvolt - I took my time to make sure everything was squared up well and flat. Initially I had purchased some caulk to put between the collar and freezer, but the fit was so snug (along with the 2" overlap) that there does not seem to be any trouble with cold air escaping. As far as the top is concerned, there is already a bit of stripping on it that works just fine. I did have to shim the hinges with a piece of excess lumber to make sure it is centered on the collar.

@ Aunt_Ester - ClaudiusB was correct, originally the intent was to set up a stout faucet. I can fit 8 five gallon kegs in the freezer and I considered making one mixed gas. I rarely drink stouts though so it has since ended up being my seasonal rotator with a standard tap.

@ sonvolt - I took my time to make sure everything was squared up well and flat. Initially I had purchased some caulk to put between the collar and freezer, but the fit was so snug (along with the 2" overlap) that there does not seem to be any trouble with cold air escaping. As far as the top is concerned, there is already a bit of stripping on it that works just fine. I did have to shim the hinges with a piece of excess lumber to make sure it is centered on the collar.

Thank you for posting these pix and this how to. I followed it this weekend and came up with a nice looking keezer. I do have one question about the shim / lumber piece you used on the lid hinge as I am having a heck of a time keeping the bolts from pulling out of the lid when it closes (on one side only)

What I did was trace a rectangle of 1x10 scrap wood that matched up with the top hinge metal frame. Then I pre drilled this piece of wood and put in self tapping 1 1/4" hex head bolts that went thru the metal hinge frame, then through the wood and finally into the lid. Well it opened and closed a few times and then the hex heads are pulling out of the fridgadare lid but staying into the metal hinge frame and wood shim I made.

What did you do to solve this? Can you take a picture please of your top hinge soloution? I am at a loss here.

Czmkid....

I know it's been a few months, but I appreciate this thread. Is there any more info on how the hinge attachment was made with the shim?

Wayfarer? czmkid?

Thanks!

I like the look of this collar and I'll probably do something very similar. Probably do just a 1x6 and a 1x8 since I have a 5cf freezer and I don't want ot to look oddly shaped/proportioned.

Haha, I went with an inexpensive solution for the drip trays. For the sizing that I needed, it would have cost upwards of $75 or so per tray. So I went with 14" stainless steel mud trays purchased at the hardware store. I attached them with magnets salvaged from hard drives. Total cost under $30.

Barproducts.com has a "stainless steel drip pan" that is 19.5" long and they sell it for $18.50. I bought one. It's nice and sturdy. Two piece design - a pan and a grate.

Back