American IPA Citra Experiment IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgourd

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
White Labs WLP001
Yeast Starter
2500mL
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 @ 68F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 @ 68F
Tasting Notes
Great aroma; nice bitterness that hits you after the second sip.
A hit with the ladies!

Code:
Grains:
12.00# Pale Malt (2-Row) US (92.31%)
1.00# Caramel/Crystal 40L (7.69%)

Hops:
1.00 oz Citra (12.00%) @60 min
2.00 oz Citra (12.00%) @15 min
3.00 oz Citra (12.00%) @5 min
3.00 oz Citra (12.00%) @0 min
3.00 oz Citra (12.00%) (dry hop)

Mash Profile:
Batch Sparge: Single Infusion, 152F

Notes:
Made with all Citra leaf hops.

edit: SRM is 8.0; that's a nice mistype!

I made an IPA with Simcoe & Citra. Simcoe for bittering, simcoe/citra mix for flavor, citra for aroma & dry hop. I love it and have received great reviews. IMO citra is great.

Used Pacman yeast

Cheers,
Glenn

How did this turn out? I got a # from hops direct. And I am looking for a good recipe.

Turned out great. Smelled very citrusy and reminded me of grapefruits and oranges. The bitterness of citra is not the best (i.e., as good as other mainstream IPA bittering hops), but it's still very good. This beer was a complete hit with the ladies. I think they drank 40 out of the 50 or so bottles I had--within a month! The funny thing was that their pint glasses were stuck to their noses while they were drinking it. So it's very much a smell and taste experience.

AWesome Thanks for the feedback - I am thinking - I might replace the bittering hops with Magnum -which is what I usually use for pale ale and other IPA etc.

I will post some pics. Planning on brewing it this thursday.

A few things I recall about this brew. I would consider increasing the batch size to 6 or 6.5 gal to account for the wort loss due to that many whole leaf hops. Other than that, all is well!

Turned out great. Smelled very citrusy and reminded me of grapefruits and oranges. The bitterness of citra is not the best (i.e., as good as other mainstream IPA bittering hops), but it's still very good. This beer was a complete hit with the ladies. I think they drank 40 out of the 50 or so bottles I had--within a month! The funny thing was that their pint glasses were stuck to their noses while they were drinking it. So it's very much a smell and taste experience.
You are dead on with the bittering factor of citra. I have found a recipe that solves this without losing the glorious nose of citra. Try nugget 1.0 oz. at 60 min. also amarillo with citra has worked nice in the dry hopping in equal amounts

Back