Need help with first keezer build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garycan157

Reaction score
Hey. I am doing my first keezer build and need some advice from you guys who have built your own before.

First off, the chest freezer I bought can fit around 6 cornys on the bottom but could fit 8 if I build the collar high enough to sit two more above the compressor hump. Is it worth it to buy 2x10 or 2x12 as opposed to 2x8 wood to build the collar tall enough to fit two more kegs in the keezer? Right now we only have 1 keg so I couldn't even imagine having 8 kegs but I know people in the past said they wished they could fit more kegs in their keezer...will I regret it later if I don't build the collar high enough to fit an extra two kegs in it?

Also, what type of wood did you guys use to build your collars? Particle board? Treated deck lumber? what?

Does the type of thermostat that I get to convert it from a freezer to fridge really matter? Will the $36 one off chicocompany.net work or should I put the money in to get one of the $50-60 ones out there?

Any help or advice would really be helpful! Thanks in advance!

-Garrett

If you are going for it, spring for the 2x10 or 2x12. Most people with eight or more kegs (guilty) never thought that they would reach that level.

You'll be amazed at how quickly a chest freezer can fill up. You can also use it as a fermentation chamber.

You can use plain old fir for the collar, just varnish it up well to seal out any moisture.

+1 on going for the 2x10's or 2x12's. You could always use the space for future kegs, conditioning kegs, lagering, or even just storing bottles.

Just make sure your hinges can take the extra weight.

I used poplar. It's light, and it paints really nice - oh, and it's cheap. :)

do it! 2x10 is good for the extra space. trust me you wont regret having more room. I used 1" pine with foam insulation behind the wood.

I went with the 2x10 myself otherwise i would have only been able to do 2 kegs. As for the thermostat, I just bought the one from CHI Company and it works great. Little advice if they don't have the actual freezer conversion one, or if it is sold out, the one the say is for heating pads is the exact same one. Good luck.

I use my hump space for my tank, and cold bottles. I like the tower on the lid rather than the collar.

I got the chicompany one and it works great. Now just have to build the collar

Back