b-brite

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bartmancometh

Reaction score
so today after bottling i did some looking and realized that b brite isn't the sanitizer i thought it was. that's all good and well, i now know for next time. but my concern is i didn't rinse the bottles as i filled them. i had them in the b brite for a few minutes at most and then took them directly out and filled. will this ruin my batch?

B-Brite is not classified as a sanitizer by the FDA. But I'll be 100% honest, I've gotten a bunch of brews in with it (cause it came with my kit) and it did fine. StarSan is much better, but I'm not gonna waste something I have because something else is better. At least use the B-Brite as a cleaner if you won't use it for a sanitizer.

B-Brite is not classified as a sanitizer by the FDA. But I'll be 100% honest, I've gotten a bunch of brews in with it (cause it came with my kit) and it did fine. StarSan is much better, but I'm not gonna waste something I have because something else is better. At least use the B-Brite as a cleaner if you won't use it for a sanitizer.

The OP says that the beer was mixed with B-Bright because he didn't rinse. The question is, is this ok? I am interested in the answer as well. I have B-Bright that I use as a cleanser but I always make sure to rinse well then sanitize.

As far as I understand it you should be ok if you diluted it properly. 1-step is similar though slightly different both are Oxygen-based cleaners, and I've used that without rinsing and had no issues with that (actually I used the off-brand "easy clean which is basically 1 step) I would recommend if you're using it as a cleaner to rinse because there could be other loose dirt and stuff like that. But I dont' think you need excessive rinsing as from what I understand in it's diluted form it's not harmful to beer or humans.

If someone knows more about this though, please chime in, my research on the subject is limited to what I've found online.

Back