Newbie question for Mozzarela

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldRunner

Reaction score
Ey all, I've been brewing for a few years now and got a wild hair to try making cheese. I made my first batch of mozzarella today and was a little disappointed. First off I used standard store bought whole milk. But, my big issue was that I didn't read the directions carefully enough and wonder if this is the reason my Mozz didn't torn out. According to the directions I was supposed to virtually stop stirring at 95 degrees until 105 degrees. Well, I kept slowly stirring all the way to 105. I still got curds, but they never set up to give me a nice stretch. They just crumble apart. I was bum bed as you could guess. My question is...is it possibly the milk....or was stirring all the way through to 105 degrees a factor?.

Thanks for the input and help

milk or acidity issue. Either poor quality milk or milk was overacidified. Stir/heat is more about moisture level.

It could be that "ultra pasteurized" milk was used. If that's the case, the curd will never form. For homogenized milk, calcium chloride added can really help.

Back