Move to Secondary early

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bgon

Reaction score
April 7th I made my Cal. Common using San Fran lager yeast. This past Sunday I was in the middle of getting ready of checking gravity and had a mishap and thought I heard the hydrometer crack. I went ahead and swapped it to the secondary. After sitting out some I noticed it stared bubbling like it had been shaken or carbed. Nothing vigorous but just a bit. I'm thinking it's just yeast restarting at the slightly warmer temp. Is this going to create any issues? Should I drop the temp back to 55 or even place in fridge for a few more weeks?

Active fermentation most likely already occurred and you just roused up a little yeast, unless the new temperature is extremely higher I wouldn't worry about any off flavors being thrown off from the change in temps and the little bit of activity. You may have just knocked some CO2 out of suspension also. Take a gravity for sure unless you already did to be sure.

If you haven't already done so it would be a good idea to get a thief and test jar for your readings, nothing is worse than breaking a hydrometer in an entire batch of beer and having to dump it for fear of fine glass shards ruining your day

When you pour a soft drink, you get CO2 released from suspension. When you rack beer, you get the same (on a lesser scale).

Temperature, pressure, and suroundings changes can all lead to bubbling. This means pretty much nothing.

+1 on the thief - that's a well spent $8.

LHBS was not open yesterday but picked up a new hydrometer at lunch. Was hoping it was fine but wanted to ask. Guess it goes back to 55 degrees or so for another week or two.

Glad to hear it can get a bit warmer now, cause I think my cooler was slow leaking at the drain or it was just condensation transferring to the carpet. Either way I was asked nicely in an angry tone to move the cooler outside. So I now have to tip it on its side so the carboy will fit in there with frozen water bottles around it to help keep it cool.

Thanks for the info.:mug:

Glad to hear it can get a bit warmer now, cause I think my cooler was slow leaking at the drain or it was just condensation transferring to the carpet. Either way I was asked nicely in an angry tone to move the cooler outside. So I now have to tip it on its side so the carboy will fit in there with frozen water bottles around it to help keep it cool.

Thanks for the info.:mug:
being a lager, bringing the temp up to 68 for a couple of days, assuming fermentation is complete, will provide for a diacetyl rest, then you can begin lagering.

Back