how to make a carbonator cap for a glass demijohn?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twd000

Reaction score
I have 5 very thick 1-gallon glass demijohn jugs that I use to ferment test batches. Now that I have a kegging system, I would like to make a carbonator cap so that I can carb the batch directly in the jug. Just 2 volumes of CO2 or enough to evaluate the recipe under carbonation. They come with twist-on metal caps, and only 2-3 threads engage to seal it against the rubber seal on the underside of the cap.

I have seem some plans using a tire inflator, but I'm looking for something that I could hookup to a quick disconnect and let it carbonate slowly in my kegerator.

first I would never try and carbonate in glass. second no reason to reinvent the wheel I would go with one of these I have two and they work wonderful. hope this helps

http://morebeer.com/view_product/18250/102290/Carbonator_Cap

I've already bottle-conditioned multiple times in these jugs, which is even more pressure than slow force-carbonating, so I'm not worried about them shattering.

It says it is a ball-lock fitting - I wonder if I could buy the fitting with a screw-on connection and install it in a metal cap?

I'd like to come up with a solution that costs significantly less than $16/cap.

This might be what you've seen http://www.crankandstein.net/index....s_id=4&zenid=0d394957af3108de32133346ae4f6088

They do make locking tire chucks that you could adapt, but that might leak.

You could also buy some spare caps, drill a hole in them and hook up a barb thought the cap and just run a co2 line straight into to jug.

yeah, that's what I'm thinking of. Although I can't understand how they make a seal to the cap, and I would like something I can leave connected without holding the chuck in place.

What I'm picturing has to be a two-part, threaded fitting, with a gasket on the inner side of the bottle cap. Then when you thread the two pieces together, the gasket is pulled tight to make a seal against the cap, and the end projecting out fits a QD from a CO2 line.

Could I adapt a keg post to this application? Or do they need the threads in the keg lid to work?

I use a modified valve stem extension like a screw on chuck for my DIY carbonator caps & DIY mini keg Bung. My CO2 is supplied from a 16g cartridge for force carbing but I don't know why it wouldn't work for you to insert it in a 1/4"ID tube tied to your gas system.

6494-gi-co2-cornie-charger-diy-fill-nozzle.jpg

The stem extensions have an inner gasket that seals when screwed onto the valve, seems like it should be able to hold 10-50 psi.

The other nice thing about a modified stem extension chuck is you can leave the schrader valve in the cap so when you remove from the gas, the thing self seals just like a tire.

Hope that makes sense...

I reeeealy don't know if carboys are engineered to hold any pressure. If pressurized a tiny tap with the wrong thing might make a heck of a mess.

oooh -this guy used a tire stem kit:
http://www.truetex.com/carbonation.htm

I bet I could use this to make the seal with the cap, then find an adapter fitting to connect to the gas line:
http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/mils409.html

Valve stem extension is threaded to fit right on the tire valve you linked. they cost ~$5 for 4 and fit snug in 1/4" ID line. Tire stems have an odd threading, from what ive read so your options are limited.

Do you have a manufacturer on those demi's?

Valve stem extension is threaded to fit right on the tire valve you linked. they cost ~$5 for 4 and fit snug in 1/4" ID line. Tire stems have an odd threading, from what ive read so your options are limited.

Do you have a manufacturer on those demi's?

yeah, I'll probably just have to take the tire stem into the hardware store and try some fittings.

The demijohns came from Sunflower Market and were once filled with apple juice

Back