Explain this one

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DirtyHaus

Reaction score
So i had some leftover hops and some leftover DME. I decided to boil the DME and hops in 1 gallon of tap water for about 15-20 minutes and after it cooled poured all contents (with break and hops) into a not sanitized 1 plastic water jug. I pitched the decanted wort from a lager yeast starter and left it uncovered in my garage where there are major temp swings. The point was to whip up a mini batch doing everything WRONG to see how it comes out.

It's fermenting next to a lager which i brewed using all proper procedures.

I took a sample today and guess what??? TASTES GREAT!!!!

I'm wondering how this can be if i purposely did everything wrong to just to see how poorly brewed beer tastes like next to batch of good homebrew. maybe off flavors haven't developed?

You're just making it like the old ages. Brewing beer wasn't originally such a precise activity. The cleaning of all utensils and proper equipment is just precautionary and allows for similar results over and over again, that doesn't mean you have to do it that way.

I tend to think that the smaller opening in the milk jug made it a bit harder for large numbers of nasties to get in there. Besides the cold temps right now...

Yes, you can do a lot of things wrong and still get good beer.

Repeating your actions and getting the same results...now there's a challenge.

I had a beer that sat in the bottle for a couple of months before I could tell that it was infected. But, doing everything wrong doesn't mean that it necessarily will be infected. Plenty of people do the right things and wind up with infected beer.

Because you added the lager yeast it could take off right away and make some alcohol which helps suppress some of the nasties. I would suspect you might see those nasties start to take hold later and you will see the flows come through down the line and especially if you age a few bottles? Drink it fresh and you might never know?

Back