Kegerator help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joeybad87

Reaction score
Hello all, I'm now to posting on the forum, but have been reading for quite some time now.
On the the real stuff, I've finally decided to build a kegerator. I've decided on a two tap system and to run those taps out of the front door of the mini fridge. I know that this is less desirable, but seeing as I am moving into a studio floor space is at a premium and this unit will also double as a makeshift end table in my living room... The issue is that I want a compact refrigerator that is large enough to house two 1/4bbl Slim kegs (11" diameter) as well as my 5lb CO2 tank. I know that finding something for them to sit side by side is almost impossible, so I'm assuming that they'll have to sit staggered. All of my internet searches for finding one have come up pretty much empty. Has anybody seen a system that is capable of this or could anyone help point me in the right direction. It is also possible that I'm being too ambitions.. Thanks for the help in advance!

I don't know of any database with interior dimensions - you have two choices (at least)

1) a lot of searching at manufacturer websites
2) go to your local big box stores and start measuring.

welcome to HBT

Thank you.. I've been looking online a lot, the dimension that is always left out is for that stupid hump around the compressor. I've actually called a couple of the manufacturers to see if they had any information on that dimension but haven't had any luck. I'm guessing that I'm going to have to go measure, however most of the ones that I've seen that I think might be large enough aren't carried at any local stores. Also I'm still in Afghanistan for about a month and was hoping to have the stuff shipped to my place and ready for me to build when I return. I'm still looking though, if anyone else knows of anything please let me know

Oh, that makes it difficult to measure, doesn't it!

Do you know the dimensions of your kegs? 11" by ___ high? Next time I'm in a Home Depot or Lowes or Best Buy, I could take measurements -

in fact, dear readers, as our OP is stationed in Afghanistan, perhaps several of us that have read /will read this thread could volunteer to post measurements (such a small sacrifice compared to his!)

thanks for your service, JoeyBad87! Please stay safe!

A 1/4bbl slim keg is the same height as a 1/2 barrel I believe. I've read anywhere between 23-24" plus the height of a compact coupler which is about an inch. so i would say 26" just to be safe. In my research I hadn't ran into trouble with the height it is always the width and lack of dimensions for the true depth at the floor. I would really appreciate it if that were something that you could do for me! I would be extremely grateful... Thank you guys so much for helping me out like that!

Joey,

The 1/4 tall kegs measure 11 1/4 diameter. I dont think two in a minifridge is doable. I use these and can fit two w/ a 5 lb tank in a small 5 cf chest freezer w/ a tall collar. I would guess you need to try a small 12-15 cf apartment style fridge, this will be taller and better for running taps out the door. With luck you might find a used cheap one on clist. Thanks for your service!

http://columbus.craigslist.org/app/2774370414.html

http://columbus.craigslist.org/app/2772897622.html

Joey,

The 1/4 tall kegs measure 11 1/4 diameter. I dont think two in a minifridge is doable. I use these and can fit two w/ a 5 lb tank in a small 5 cf chest freezer w/ a tall collar.

I had been reading about using he chest freezers as opposed to a minifridge, but I'm worried about the noise it produces. As it will be sitting right next to my couch and not all that far from my bed in a studio. Does yours make a noticeable amount of noise? If not do you mind asking which model you use and if the collar is absolutely necessary. Adding the extra height would render it almost useless as an end table, but in the end I think I'll be ok with that.

Do a cardboard cut out of the diameter and take it to the appliance store. Lay em in there side by side. See if they will fit. I'm thinking your going to need a 5.0cf fridge. Which might be a special item. A 5.0cf freezer isn't that large. Going to be about the same as the mini fridge. You'll just have to clear off the top before changing anything.

Joey,

I'm looking at making one out of this Kenmore .

It is 5.7cu. ft. It may be big enough. The local sears has it in a box, so I can't take internal measurements.

Stay healthy and happy new year.

Chris

I think you'll be better off with a chest freezer. probably need to go to a 7 cf. They won't be any noisier than a mini-fridge and with better insulation, the compressor won't run as often. I've got a 9 cf fridge I'm using for a temporary kegger and that's a squeeze for two cornies. It's only 19" inside. But it's also over 5 feet tall.

I've had guests sleep in a room where my chest freezer was, and I've also slept in that room before. Napping during the day, etc. It's not very noisy (except for the very first time you start it up and get the coolant flowing)

If you go the Chest Freezer route you will also need a temperature controller.

You will also need to set the cycle time so the chest freezer doesn't keep cycling on and off, or you will burn out the compressor.

I didn't set mine, now I have a useless chest.

All,

Joey cannot go to the store with cardboard - he's in Afghanastan.
He wants it for an end-table too, if possible as space is very limited for him - please read first the few posts.

thanks

The actual kegorators for sale generally have enough room for 2 cornies and a co2 tank. i've got two over at a friends house now.
Haier® Beer Dispensing Tap System - Stainless - Sam's Club

I realize you want this for an end table, so you would have to scrap the tower and bulld the taps in the door. But an option. I've been looking to see if I can find this actual fridge used, without all of their kegerator parts, but have been unsuccessful with that search.

Back