? About Mead Fermentation Temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaloAltoMark

Reaction score
Need some advice from the forum as I may have accidentally overheated my Mead.

I'm using a fermentation heater and controller to keep the mead at temperature since it's brewing in my garage. The temperature probe accidentally slipped off the side of the fermenter and the mead temp shot to 87 degrees for 1 day. This is well above WYeast recommended range for dry yeast, which has a brewing range that extends to 76 degrees Fahrenheit. I corrected the problem, but the issue is whether the mead is ruined or what my best course of action is to salvage it.

It is a dry mead (9 lbs of Honey for a 5 gallon batch). When I transferred it from my primary to the secondary a few days ago, the specific gravity was 1.002, so pretty close to the end of fermentation - My target is .999.

The mead is currently not clear and still appears to be fermenting (CO2 bubbles rising from bottom).

Your thoughts on if, and how, to salvage this batch are appreciated.

Thanks.

-Mark

If it's still fermenting and you've got it back where it should be I wouldn't worry. You've likely upped the number of fusels in the batch but with some decent aging I doubt you will notice.

I did my first 2 batches a couple of degrees above the recommended range with D47 (a yeast known for not liking to go above its range at all), a couple of months aging and it certianly didn't stop us drinking it.

If you get it aged and it isn't tasting how you would like you could always stabilise and sweeten it up a bit to cover any flaws, make this a sweet mead and make sure you get you next one perfect instead.

But realistically, I dont think one day of high temps will make enough difference...

But realistically, I dont think one day of high temps will make enough difference...

+1...especially this late in fermentation...would have potentially been more of an issue during the first very active stages of fermentation, where you would have been more likely to get significant fusel alcohol production. Also, FWIW, it's possible that you're actually done fermenting...sometimes you can still see some bubbles that are really just dissolved CO2 coming out of solution.

Latest posts

Back