Insulation for temp probe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bru

Reaction score
Those of you who tape a temp probe to the fermenter - do you insulate it and if so, with what ?
Does anyone submerge a temp probe in the beer ?

I just use a dry sponge, if I'm fermenting in the house. If it's in the fermentation cabinet, I don't bother.

I just recently got one of these stainless steel thermowells and have been using it with a carboy cap. I think that once I've used it enough times I prob won't need it as much. I've already verified that with my water bath I use for ales that the fermenter is always pretty close to the water temp. Not using it during blowoff though, don't like using a carboy cap for that.

EDIT: I just stick the bare thermocouple wire right down into the well.

I just use a folded up paper towel. You just need something to isolate it from the outside air.

I cover the probe with a piece of foam packing that you usually find in boxes with electronics equipment (stereo/tv, etc). Then I tape or bungee wrap it around the fermenter.

I just use a folded up paper towel. You just need something to isolate it from the outside air.

Me too! A little folder paper towel and some masking tape. My temp probe reads exactly the same as my fermometer now.

Back