Hello...question for the experts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ILOVEBEER

Reaction score
I am in the process of building my single tier 3 sanke keg AG system. I was wondering if anyone knew where I could get brass food grade quick disconnects for my system?

Thanks

I believe MoreBeer.com sells them. But, if you're putting the money into a 3 tier sanke system, why not spend the extra 10 bucks and go stainless. It's much better in the longrun.

Won't the brass air-hose qds from McMaster do just fine? Or do they have some non-food grade components that would be touching the product?

I agree that you should go stainless. They will last for years. Besides, they are stainless.

Thans you guys. I was modeling my stuff after BoobyM's setup. The brass are sooo much cheaper from McMaster and if they go baf I can buy new ones?

I was trying to find the type with the silicone seal...any part #'s that you guys know of?

Thanks

Funny that this thread should appear now... Yesterday I put in an order for some 1/2" QDs, and I got the Industrial coupling shape instead of the high-flow coolant one. Does anyone know if these will work OK? I got the ones without a check valve. Looks like meybe I just spent a little more than I needed to?

These are the same ones I'm running. No complaints whatsoever, they work perfectly at a fraction of the cost of stainless QD's, and will last just as long.

They don't specify "food grade", however. Doesn't brass leach a little lead when the liquid is hot and slightly acidic (= beer)?

They don't specify "food grade", however. Doesn't brass leach a little lead when the liquid is hot and slightly acidic (= beer)?

I use a 3:1 ratio of Vinegar and Peroxide to get rid of the coating. Soak it for about 15 minutes until the brass turns a buttery yellow color, then remove and rinse. If the water turns green, you've left it too long.

Also, I hear ketchup does the trick too. Boiling in ketchup that is.

I still prefer to use stainless though since brass will tarnish over time and you'll need to clean it again and again and again....

I use a 3:1 ratio of Vinegar and Peroxide to get rid of the coating. Soak it for about 15 minutes until the brass turns a buttery yellow color, then remove and rinse. If the water turns green, you've left it too long.

Also, I hear ketchup does the trick too. Boiling in ketchup that is.

I still prefer to use stainless though since brass will tarnish over time and you'll need to clean it again and again and again....

Yeah, I've read the Acetic Acid(distilled white vinegar trick) from Palmer's metalurgy section. Seems like a funky workaround, but whatever works!

Interestingly, I read a study performed by a school concerning brass fittings in their system. Since they were suspected, they ran numerous tests and found lead levels way below EPA estimates from water on both hot and cold faucets (valves) throughout the school. They did find "way over" PPM values from one that had severely corroded(due to an unrelated problem), however, which was replaced and everyone was happy. But I think it was acid that corroded it.....

Screw it, just go build a 100% stainless brewery or buy a Sabco system! I mean, it's only a few grand more. The extra money you spend will make your beer better...right?

Screw it, just go build a 100% stainless brewery or buy a Sabco system! I mean, it's only a few grand more. The extra money you spend will make your beer better...right?

Shoot, why not just buy the beer from a brewery that uses stainless equipment!

Whew, I'm glad we solved the OP's problem. :)

Back