Double Alt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffg

Reaction score
Finally getting back on the brewing bus and putting my Double Alt (Doppelsticke) style ale recipe together. Here is what I am thinking so far:

grain bill:

10 lbs german pilsner malt
3 lbs Vienna malt
1 lb. Caramunich III
2-3 ozs. black patent malt

hops:

all Spalt hops, probably 4-5 ounces of whole spalt hops to get 40-50 ibus

yeast: German Ale 1007.

OG should be around 1.072 and abv around 7.2%.

Any thoughts, suggestions?

Thanks,

Jeff

MMMmmmmm! My only suggestion is to let me brew it, too. I've been meaning to do an Alt style. I think that I may brew this very soon.

I will probably tinker with the hops to get some different varieties in there, and I will use a different yeast.

I'll let you know how mine turns out.

I'm planning something in the same vein for the weekend. I've got some Hallertau and Tettnanger hops to use, some munich malt, was going to use about 2oz of black patent for color. Original plan was for an ale version of an Oktoberfest, but it'll probably be more in altbier (not quite double-alt) territory before all is said and done. Probably shooting for about 40 IBUs or so, gotta play around with ProMash this week and finalize the plan.

Damn, I'm itchy, haven't brewed in four weeks... I'm going through withdrawal, man...

If you can get ahold of it, it would be better to use some dehusked carafa malt instead of the black patent. You will get the same color benefits w/o the roasty taste. I think I am going to get some of this before brewing this alt.

SonVolt, what yeast are you going to use? I made a smaller version of this beer last year and the 1007 was so active it blew off about a quart of wort in the first 36 hours. Settled out really nice though. I had more or less the same grain bill but I used Saaz and Spalt hops. I loved the Spalt and used them again in a Kolsch, which is why I am tempted to go all Spalt this time. I do have some Saaz though....Not sure I can get carafa in time but it is a good thought. 2 oz. is pretty minimal though to ahve a great flavor effect...

Bird, I dig the Bruschi picture. I have not brewed since the beginning of the summer so I am looking forward to getting back on team. Brewing has become pretty much a strictly cool weather endeavor for me, but that makes me all the more motivated once the leaves start falling.

I think that I will use the Safale 1057 or Nottingham. Neutral yeast flavor, etc.

JeffG or Bird ever do an update on how this came out? Looking to do maybe a LongTrail double bag type beer soon...

Back