Old Crustacean 2008

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I picked up the ceramic beauty tonight. How long should I hold onto it before I drink it? Is it good now, or should I put it away for a while? I can get another to age pretty easily right now, so I'm willing to drink it.

I haven't had Crusty in a number of years. Back in the day, I thought it was decent right away. However, I actually put one on a closet and forgot about it (it really does work sometimes), and around 18 months later found it. It was quite good at that point. I wonder what it would have been like after four or five years.

I sampled the 2006 Old Crustacean this weekend at the Seattle International Beerfest. It rocked. I'd definately pick up another bottle, and drink one now. Write down a description and then open the next one in a year, two, or more and compare.

I have a bottle of the 2006 edition that I picked up at the liquor store in Feb. Im gonna wait til my 30th birthday, in 2010 to drink it!!!! I cant wait!!!

Oh I had a 2007 a few months ago and it was great, I had never had this beer, I was blown away

I tried this for the first time yesterday. OMGosh . I have never had anything quite like it before. Superb.

Resurrecting this thread, I am drinking a 2008 right now and looking for a recipe, so if you still have this, now is the time. Great apricot and plum flavors in this, and a good dose of biscuit to round it out. So smooth!

Resurrecting this thread AGAIN.

Two weeks ago I popped the top on a 2008 ceramic bottle. I can't believe how damn hoppy this thing still is after three years in the bottle.

We drank this along with some other 3+ years aged barleywines, most of which took on very sweet, leather, fig tastes. Old Crustacean had some of these flavors hiding in the background, but the overall impression was still HOPS. It was by the far the best of the night, but dammit, I feel like this thing could have aged for another ten years and still developed more interesting flavors.

Back