Pellets vs. Whole Leaf

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Desert_Sky

Since 1998
Reaction score
Is there a advantage or specific benefit by using one or the other? Also general AA % range. What is that referring to? Thanks

-Jim

i dont know the specifics but generally the higher the aa, the more bitterness the hops will have. Usually the low aa hops are used for aroma/flavor more then bitterness, and the high aa hops more for just bitterness but this is not written in stone. (i use low aa varieties for bitterness all the time, and i dry hop occasionally with high aa varieties)

there are some advantages to using FRESH whole hops over pellets but, i have yet to use FRESH whole hops, i use pellets and plugs which, because they store better they have a better quality then not-so-fresh whole hops (IMHO)

I like whole leaf hops because they seem more "natural" and they just look f'ing cool. Other than that, they don't store as well, they hold more wort, and it takes 10% more to get the same utilization in a boil as pellets do.

Oh well.

damnit, dude.... I know you are saying important things, but I am still distracted by your avatar (and Cheesefood's, and Rhoobarb's, and...)

-walker

Dude said:
I like whole leaf hops because they seem more "natural" and they just look f'ing cool. Other than that, they don't store as well, they hold more wort, and it takes 10% more to get the same utilization in a boil as pellets do.

Oh well.

where do you get your whole hops? I thought hb usa only had pellets and plugs?

Imperial Walker said:
damnit, dude.... I know you are saying important things, but I am still distracted by your avatar (and Cheesefood's, and Rhoobarb's, and...)

-walker
Go get a dose of Pumbaa's green man. Instant Correction.......;)

Ivan Lendl said:
where do you get your whole hops? I thought hb usa only had pellets and plugs?

My local brew shop sells mainly pellets, some leaf, and very few types of plugs.

But, since I ordered many pounds of whole hops from www.freshops.com, I don't think I'll be buying much from the local shop.

-walker

Imperial Walker said:
My local brew shop sells mainly pellets, some leaf, and very few types of plugs.

But, since I ordered many pounds of whole hops from www.freshops.com, I don't think I'll be buying much from the local shop.

-walker

Yep, hops direct and freshops.com......

Our LHBS only sells pellets so I NEVER buy hops from them......I just like leaf....

Do I need to change my avatar Walker?

Dude said:
Yep, hops direct and freshops.com......

Our LHBS only sells pellets so I NEVER buy hops from them......I just like leaf....

Do I need to change my avatar Walker?

they (our hbs) got plugs there as well...i wouldnt mind trying whole leaf though, i had a bad experience with them when i first started brewing, but that was years ago...

Ivan Lendl said:
check out the label in my gallery, that well calm ya down...

Christ! I need to go flush my eyes with water.

you were right, though... it definately put an end to my previous train of thought.

-walker

I like high AA pellets for bittering and whole hops for flavor and aroma, but I've done all pellet and all whole hop batches. I keep the extras in the freezer of the kegger.

Dude - Got a hi-res copy of that avatar?

One thing that I've noticed that I don't like about pellets is that they jam up my strainer. The little tiny bits of shredded hops get into the little tiny holes, and it takes forever to strain it through. I've never done a 100% whole hop batch, so maybe they're not that much easier to use. Like David42 I use high aa pellets for bittering and whole hops for flavor and aroma. Other than the straining issue I'm pretty happy with that arrangement.

I once wanted some old nasty hops for a lambic. Went to the LHBS and asked if they had any leaf hops around that were over a year old. The guy reached in a bin a handed me a bag.

Lesson: Buyer beware!

Back