Keg!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NickN

Reaction score
Ok. First time kegging. It has been at at 27 psi for 24 hours. 65 degrees give or take. Pale Ale.

Now what do I do?

at that temp and pressure, give it another 2 weeks. if you can, chill it, keep it chilled and at 30 psi for a 1.5-2 days, then burp it, move to 11 psi, and serve. you can also look into the roll method. keep it hooked up to the co2 at that psi, lay the keg down and roll it back and forth for about 5 minutes (doesn't need to be violent!!!!!), then remove the co2 connection, bleed excess pressure from the keg, and reattach the co2 at 11 psi

You have the right pressure set to hit around 2.5 volumes of CO2 at 65°F, so you can wait the week or two it takes for the full keg to hit that carbonation level, or you can accelerate the carbonation process by rocking the keg with the gas still set at 27 psi until you can't hear the gas passing from regulator to keg.

If you're going to try the rocking bit, be sure to maintain gas pressure and keep the tank well above the keg, to help keep beer from traveling back up the gas line to the regulator.

In either case, eventually you're going to want to chill that keg down to serving temperature. When you do, be sure to lower the gas pressure to maintain the same carbonation level...

Cheers!
[edit: slow typist tonight ;) ]

Ok I put it in the fridge last night. So maybe tomorrow night it will be done. So, when it is done can I unhook everything, pull it out of the fridge and continue aging?

Ok I put it in the fridge last night. So maybe tomorrow night it will be done. So, when it is done can I unhook everything, pull it out of the fridge and continue aging?

If you're just aging it, then sure. I wouldn't bother carbing it up, chilling it, and allowing it to warm up though.

Why not just either set it at 30 psi at room temperature and keep it on the gas for a couple of weeks, or let it sit at room temperature for a couple of weeks, and then carb it up?

Definitely don't keep trying to burst carb in the fridge if you're letting the beer sit afterwards at room temperature anyway.

Carbonation is a function of pressure, time, and temperature. I'd rather carb it up slowly and have it be nicely carbed than futzing with it and having it over or undercarbed in the end.

Back