Post your infection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wheat-beer-infection.jpg

Wheat beer using wheat flour from a local mill. What do you think it is? Brettanomyces is what it's looking like to me. This is after 32 days in primary.

Edit: Also, I'd compare the way it smells to a dirty gym sock. My wife says it smells like "chemicals".

If it's Brett, I'm inclined to add some cherries to it and let it keep going. Nothing bad grows in all ready fermented beer, right?

wheat-beer-infection.jpg

Wheat beer using wheat flour from a local mill. What do you think it is? Brettanomyces is what it's looking like to me. This is after 32 days in primary.

Edit: Also, I'd compare the way it smells to a dirty gym sock. My wife says it smells like "chemicals".

If it's Brett, I'm inclined to add some cherries to it and let it keep going. Nothing bad grows in all ready fermented beer, right?

Looks like Lactobacillus to me, let it go and see what comes of it in 18moz or so. It might taste like butt or it might taste fantastic, only one way to find out! :ban:

Looks like Lactobacillus to me, let it go and see what comes of it in 18moz or so. It might taste like butt or it might taste fantastic, only one way to find out! :ban:

Nice. So I assume I should reserve this bucket for only sour beers from now on. Think I should add anything else to it to try to make it taste less like butt? I haven't done any research yet on lacto bacteria. I have more than enough buckets around that I can certainly let this bad boy age for as long as it needs. Thanks!

Nice. So I assume I should reserve this bucket for only sour beers from now on. Think I should add anything else to it to try to make it taste less like butt? I haven't done any research yet on lacto bacteria. I have more than enough buckets around that I can certainly let this bad boy age for as long as it needs. Thanks!

If it's lacto, I'm not entirely sure what you should do to it. That said, I can see where you'd think it's Brett, as that was my first impression. I say drop the cherries on it as you thought and see where they take you; if it's awful, well, you were going to toss the batch anyway. If delicious, take credit for the inspiration!

My current brett batch looks somewhat similar; my lacto infections haven't typically had as many large bubbles, looking more like a spiderweb pattern across the surface. But, of course, infections will vary, so roll the dice!

I have a 5g batch of a peanut butter porter. It was in primary for about 6 weeks because I was busy and forgot about it. I racked it to secondary with some cocoa. It was fine at the time of transfer. It tasted great. I transfered it about 5 days ago. I came home tonight and found this after not looking at it since I racked it.

Is it aceto, lacto? it is a thin white film on the top that is somewhat wrinkley. On one side of the carboy there was a spot that had bumps on top of it.

Do I dump it, or rack underneath and leave some in the carboy? Should I rack to another (3rd) carboy or bottle it up?

Thanks for any help!

Any thoughts? Spent 6-7 weeks in primary, busy as hell. Golf course superintendent in May = no time to homebrew.

Smells like vinegar. Pipeline is 2 litres from being dry. Damn. Damn. Damn.......

IMG_0582.jpg

IMG_0583.jpg

this is my first attempt at a homebrew. i tried an amber ale and currently in day 6 of fermenting. just wondering if this looks like it could possibly be an infected batch?

photo.jpg

photo(2).jpg

I was just little worried and the stuff on the side also got me thinking but thanks a lot I'm sure a lot of newbs ask these same questions.

This is my Foreign Extra Stout that I crafted. I decided to rack this to my secondary and I dropped 3.5 oz of coffee grounds without sanitizing it first just as an experiment. Then three weeks later I got this going on! Yayz!

ForumRunner_20120618_211958.jpg

ForumRunner_20120618_212030.jpg

H-ost said:
HUGE bubbles!

I know right? I want to take a sample to work at let the lab guys take a look at it. They have an awesome Nikon they use to look at pathogens...lol

Hey guys, first post here. So this was an all grain hefeweizen that I added some blueberry extract to. It was fine in secondary for about a week, but about 5 days after I added the blueberry extract this showed up. The only thing that touched the beer(aside from the extract) was a thief which was covered in star san foam. I added the extract straight from the bottle, and in retrospect maybe I should have sanitized it some how.

Sorry about the picture quality, but it's basically a white foam with hard white dome shaped bubbles on top. Does anyone have any idea what it is? More importantly, I tasted it and it seems fine. Am I ok to go ahead and try and rack from underneath the film and bottle it?

Thanks!

photo.jpg

Woodbury419 said:
This is my Foreign Extra Stout that I crafted. I decided to rack this to my secondary and I dropped 3.5 oz of coffee grounds without sanitizing it first just as an experiment. Then three weeks later I got this going on! Yayz!

Do you use star San ?

mux said:
Do you use star San ?

Indeed I do, and I do believe I know where you're going with this..but correct me please if I'm wrong. I use star san to sanitize everything, but the minuet amounts that is residual from the carboy is irrelevant as it sufacting capabilities degrades when beer takes its place in the carboy. That and I never had a similar situation happen to me before. I've been extremely lazy to plate or to evaluate the contamination in the scope...lol. But just in case, we'll hold that hypothesis up in the air as for science. Anything is possible.

mux said:
Just sayin! It looks like star San foam.

I plan on kegging this bad boy either tomorrow or next weekend. I will repost my findings with a picture of what I found under the scope. I also want to take a gc/ms headspace sample to see what coffee components made it through the final product. :D

Yuck. Looking at those bubbles on that stout after adding coffee has me pretty leery to pop some beans I've had sitting in some bourbon for a week into my breakfast stout I've got going on. It's been in primary for 3 weeks, and is a pretty expensive recipe! I've got a labor of love going on and I'll be damned if 2 oz of coffee will bring me down.

FATC1TY said:
Yuck. Looking at those bubbles on that stout after adding coffee has me pretty leery to pop some beans I've had sitting in some bourbon for a week into my breakfast stout I've got going on. It's been in primary for 3 weeks, and is a pretty expensive recipe! I've got a labor of love going on and I'll be damned if 2 oz of coffee will bring me down.

Don't worry about the coffee, if you soaked them in vodka or bourbon for awhile then you're golden. I didn't sanitize my coffee out of curiosity.

Just finished brewing a batch, and racked the other one I had in primary.

Added the coffee, and wood and cocoa nibs.. They were all soaked in bourbon, the coffee and cocoa soaked up all the bourbon just about, but I figure it's good to go.. We'll see!

Here's a better quality pic

my first post hope I do it right.
first non mr beer batch

notes

blonde ale brewed

soaked everything in starsan

july 15th partial boil
3 gallon tap
2 gallon spring water cold in bucket
1 oz saaz hops full 60 minute boil
1/2 teas irish moss
1.050 OG
spetialy 10l grains steeped from cold to 155 for 20 minutes
messed up yeast pitched at 120 nottingham
got wyeast yorkshire and re-pitched july 16th
opened bucket like a fool
fermented to hot 77 deg F
mistake after mistake.....

racked to carbouy 7-19 airlock no activity or less ten 1 bubble per minute forgot to test gravity
taste bitter
coller cloudy blonde
think its contaminated. 7-25 see white on top looks the same previous post

looks just like this I can try to take a pic if humidity dies.

69018d1342805954-post-your-infection-photo-copy.jpg

my first post hope I do it right.
first non mr beer batch

notes

blonde ale brewed

soaked everything in starsan

july 15th partial boil
3 gallon tap
2 gallon spring water cold in bucket
1 oz saaz hops full 60 minute boil
1/2 teas irish moss
1.050 OG
spetialy 10l grains steeped from cold to 155 for 20 minutes
messed up yeast pitched at 120 nottingham
got wyeast yorkshire and re-pitched july 16th
opened bucket like a fool
fermented to hot 77 deg F
mistake after mistake.....

racked to carbouy 7-19 airlock no activity or less ten 1 bubble per minute forgot to test gravity
taste bitter
coller cloudy blonde
think its contaminated. 7-25 see white on top looks the same previous post

looks just like this I can try to take a pic if humidity dies.

69018d1342805954-post-your-infection-photo-copy.jpg

Yeah...that's infected. In my opinion.

yes Im pretty sure its that lacto infection :(
is this something that can be recovered?
I had a small mr beer batch do this and i bottled it a month or so ago it still doesn't taste sour.
just bitter.

thank you

yes Im pretty sure its that lacto infection :(
is this something that can be recovered?
I had a small mr beer batch do this and i bottled it a month or so ago it still doesn't taste sour.
just bitter.

thank you

Hate to say it but i'd dump it and cut my losses. Mourn its death by drinking a few high abv beers, then buy some new ingredients for something else.

stomach does a somersault.

gross... it is known.

nuke it from orbit and start over.

I brewed a batch with raisins 2 weeks ago. Today the brew has a bunch of abnormally large bubbles, and if they break they leave a kind of film. Smell isnt too inspiring either.

Same thing happened to a stout of mine that I added vanilla to. Guess it's bad luck for me to add non-grain ingedients.

question about those white bubbles.

I checked on that batch this morning and the bubles are all gone

I can still see the sheen and it looks like some really small bubbles are starting.

Is there any chance that thing died?

i can smell the beer a little and it smells ok. I still aint opened it up to taste.

SHould I give up hope and dump?

Or is there any chance?

Back